Light mounting on FEL

nikonman

Equipment
L5460, LA1055
May 21, 2014
Zeigler, IL USA
I occasionally have the need to move trees after storms at night. Was thinking that lights mounted to moveable brackets on the FEL cross brace would be perfect. Using rods and pivot arms it could be made to move with whatever you have attached to the FEL at the time.

That being said, is it advisable to weld to the cross brace or drill mounting holes?

What say ye wildfire?

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
I occasionally have the need to move trees after storms at night. Was thinking that lights mounted to moveable brackets on the FEL cross brace would be perfect. Using rods and pivot arms it could be made to move with whatever you have attached to the FEL at the time.

That being said, is it advisable to weld to the cross brace or drill mounting holes?

What say ye wildfire?
Technically the answer is NO. You shouldn't drill or weld on your ROPS system. I recently did it for a friend/customer on his BX and the only reason I did it is he asked me to do it plus he never ever used his ROPS in the upright position because of its height so I lowered it. It marks the very first time I did something like that but although I'm positive it's as good as OEM I wasn't comfortable doing it. His issue was the ROPS was to high
And had to be lowered 9.5". He's happy now and uses it in its upright position.

In your case there's a few ways to add lighting to your ROPS. You can clamp a bar to your ROPS via u bolts or you can use some Click Bond ancores to attach to the ROPS then bolt your lights to them. I can't seem to attach a link to this post right now but if you click on my YouTube link and go to my video with the fire extinguisher you can view how it's done.
This might work :
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WVlaTzU1a8c

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'll second what Wildfire is saying, it's never a good idea to weld or drill a ROPS!
And agree clamp or click bond is the best bet!;)

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
I don't think it would hurt anything welding to the cross brace on FEL . But not sure how well lights would work mounted there . On the ROPS works great.

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
I'll say one more thing on the subject. I'm not looking at any posts or replying to them at 4:30AM anymore. I thought he was asking about welding to the ROPS :D

Yes you can weld a bracket to the FEL but be tidy about it ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
OOPS! I had the same problem but at 1:00am. :eek:

I'll go stand in the corner now! :(

nikonman

Equipment
L5460, LA1055
May 21, 2014
Zeigler, IL USA
lol!! Yep, you were definitely tired when you read it.. I didn't think it would pose a problem, and I plan to be very tidy about it.

Oh, and the reason for the lighting on the FEL, it is for the grapple at night for trees downed from storms. :)

Thanks!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
While at a KOA years ago, a storm hit at night & dropped a couple of trees in the entrance to the campground. The owner used a green machine to clear the road, and had a pair of work lights on magnets (like tow truck lights) that he stuck right on the bucket.... seemed to work just fine.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Guys allow me to toss in my 2 cents ,,,,, NEVER NEVER NEVER drill, weld or modify your ROPS, unless you have a PE sign a papper that he/she has examined and tested it, and that aint gona happen unless of course you are a PE.
Reason, is simple, should you, may God forbid, flip or roll a tractor and get injured or killed because the ROPS failed. Most ins companies will not easyly honor your surrivors claims once the accdent review has been compleated. And the Mfg, will never stand behind a piece of safety equipment that has been modified, and the ROPS aint there cause its pretty.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Here is a question. Do you think 2 small 3/8 holes to bolt a light up will greatly affect the safety of the r o p s ?
Do "I" think it will, no.
Does Kubota and your Insurance Co. think it will, that is another story like skeets mentioned.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Wrencher I only say this due to about 30 some years working for the Feds and I have investagated a ton of roll over and injuries as well as fatals. As or of the follow ups we had to talk to the families giving them updats, and I have heard this story to many times. 2 ,3/8 bolt holes would most likely not cause a problem. But trust me when they go over that machine they will find anything they can so they don't have to pay a true shame I have to say,, Do as you will

Wrencher2423

Apr 27, 2014
Leechburg,Pa,U.S.A
Not trying to be confrontational at all, just wondering what they prevailing thought was. Thanks for the info. I am in the process of looking for a light bar for my bx r o p s and need to figure a solution for attaching it then .

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well you could find or make some U bolts that fit over the ROPS and use the light tabs on the light bar and bolt to a base and clamp the base in place with the U bolts. Thats how I mounted my lights and they havent gotten torn off yet,, though the OL surely has tried a couple times on low branches

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Well you could find or make some U bolts that fit over the ROPS and use the light tabs on the light bar and bolt to a base and clamp the base in place with the U bolts. Thats how I mounted my lights and they havent gotten torn off yet,, though the OL surely has tried a couple times on low branches
I measured my ROPS and went to a spring/suspension shop and had some U bolts made to my specs. Costs me about $10