Opening the 3 point hydraulics case

josh64

Equipment
L1501DT, BX2360 with LA243 FEL and mower deck.
Jan 8, 2011
Western Australia
Hi again all,

I have an L1501DT (similar to L175/L185) and I'm trying to get to the control valve inside the rear hydraulics group. I'm having a heck of a time trying to take the top off the casing. I've even tried wrapping a hardness around it and lifting it off with my BX2360's FEL.

All 10 bolts that hold it on are undone, and I've tried giving it a tickle with a large hammer and bit of wood. Does anyone have any tips? I think the gasket and the 15 year old coat of paint as kind of glued it all together.

Cheers,
Josh

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
I have a stiff putty knife also known as a gasket scraper that I use as a wedge between the mating surfaces. Tap it with a hammer.

Has never failed.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Can't tell from the photo and not intimate with your model machine but on our '99 L-series after all the bolts and studs and hoses and lines came off had to stand where seat would be straddling transmission case and reach toward rear and use the 3-point lift arms as a lever to rock and bump the cover off.

Make dang sure EVERYTHING loose. Ours had a couple hidden fasteners. Also note one on each side (on ours) was a stud not a bolt for purposes of alignment when replacing. Cover had to come straight up from over stud after being rocked loose.

Be careful not to gouge anything with thin-bladed putty knife.

My bet is that if your FEL won't budge it you've got something in a bind or not yet loosened fastener. I'd be cautious using that FEL---if you need a skyhook use a come-a-long suspended from the FEL rather than the FEL hydraulics. Pull a little bind and start using that putty knife but be cautious if something pops loose and gets you.

For ours Kubota did not list gasket; went back with grey RTV after meticulously cleaning both mating surfaces.

Please post back your experiences and how you proceed so we may all learn.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Double and tripple check for a bolt you're not seeing. Same thing happend to me and some of those bolts are in the damndest places and you have to twist like Gumby to get to them.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
One other thing: if like ours that transmission cover is surprisingly heavy. And awkward to handle, especially if you have to come straight up to clear a stud.

You need a helper (to shove cribbing under the case as you lift) and wear gloves if trying to slide fingers in under the cover to get a grip.

It was all I could do to lift the dang thing just a little bit. Sticky old sealant material didn't help. Watch for putty-knife or cribbing shoving junk down into the open case. Plan on a fluid and filter change. Better if drain while open so can clean the sump manually from the inside.

Post back your experiences so we can all learn.

josh64

Equipment
L1501DT, BX2360 with LA243 FEL and mower deck.
Jan 8, 2011
Western Australia
OK update time!

I managed to get it open with a putty knife and a very fine chisel. There was no damage to the case itself luckily!

I now have the control valve in parts and the o-rings are very hard and flat so I'm in the process of replacing those. Then I will re-assemble, use a tube of instant gasket, and hopefully I'll have correctly functioning 3 point hydraulics again!

I changed the hydraulic oil about 20 hours ago so I'll leave the hydraulic oil for now. I will need to drain it one day soon though as fixing the brakes up are also on the to-do list.

Thank you everyone for your help :)