B7610 with King Kutter XB Mower Question

Bores23

Equipment
B7610
Aug 16, 2019
Stratford, WI
I have a B7610 with a 4' King Kutter XB brush mower. I used it earlier this spring and engaged the PTO at idle and it seemed to engage fine ( a little mower shaking to get started but i believe that is normal ) When I used it yesterday and engaged the PTO at lower RPM's it stalled out the engine. I turned the tractor off and then checked to make sure the mower blades were able to be easily turned which they were. In the end I was able to get the mower going but i did have to up the RPM's to keep it from stalling. It did seem to run fine once i got it going. I am wondering if it is normal to have to engage at higher RPM's with a bush mower or if there is another underlying issue i may have to look into??

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
The mower initially presents some resistance when engaged but your tractor should have sufficient power to turn it, though it may bog down until mower is up to speed. With PTO disengaged you should be able to turn the PTO shaft by hand. That will give you an idea how much resistance is there. I had an old 23 hp Mitsubishi running a five foot King Kutter with no problem though I never tried to engage it below about 1500 rpm. I'm pretty sure it would have stalled at idle. Even my lawn mower won't run the cutter at idle.

Shadetree03

Equipment
L2501, King Kutter, Landscape Rake, Titan 3pt forks
Sep 20, 2017
Pueblo, CO
Like Roadworthy mentions "though it may bog down until mower is up to speed. With PTO disengaged you should be able to turn the PTO shaft by hand. That will give you an idea how much resistance is there. "

My 5' King Kutter rotates easily by hand to hook up and align with the PTO splines, but I also use it frequently. If it is stiff, you may have wire wrapped up underneath, or low lube in the right angle gear box. My U-joints are a little worn, but get a shot of grease daily, and I freed up the blade pivot pins at the start of the season with lots of oil can squirts, and working them back and forth...l now it spins smoothly. I just need to grind out some of the nicks in the cutter blades..

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
When I engage my 4’ cutter on my L185, I am at idle and just use the throttle a bit to get the mower rotating while easing the clutch out, tractor not in gear. Then I get the engine up to the speed on the tachometer that’s PTO of 540. Then push in clutch, engage gear take off and adjust everything back to proper engine RPM.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I engaged my brush hog at 2k, feathered the clutch a touch.

I miss that clutch, my BX23s is a lever than just bangs on rear PTO...