BX mower blade recommendation?

Captaincj

Apr 2, 2019
Hugo, MN
Hopefully making a BX2380 + 54" MMM buying decision this week.

I will be side-discharging the MMM and want to know if changing out the factory blades for Gator blades is recommended?

Want best cut, smallest pieces of debris... Mulch out the side is how I would describe what I want to do...

Does the Gator blade have more lift to help stand the grass up better during cutting?

Hate how the front wheels of my existing lawn tractor lay the grass down and then my deck doesn't lift the grass back up during cutting.

Thank you.

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
I didn’t notice much difference switching to gator blades. I actually think the Kubota blades may have been better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frostbitten

Equipment
2019 BX2380
Jul 19, 2012
Grand Haven, Mi USA
Ive used both the kubota blades and gator g6 hi lift blades

Both are used on a 60" deck and side discharge

found a few things out

The g6 blades will give more vac on the grass, however you will notice the grass will stick to the bottom of the deck....so much lift it sucks the clipping up

The stock blades, alot lower lift, but still plenty of vac for most grass.
Not alot of accumulation on the bottom of the deck

I have noticed that with the deck setup properly (balanced and correct pitch) that the kubota blades cut just as good at the g6 gators

In fact, I run the factory blades all spring and summer long, and switch to gators in the fall to help chop up the leaves

As far as less clippings, best advice i can give you is cut more often.

Most people here say the factory blades are no good, but I will say the opposite. I love them and they cut nice without any buildup underneath

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
I don't have the same deck on my BX, but I'm extremely happy with how well my 48" deck with oem blades, and no mulching baffles, handles clippings. They're dispersed very evenly--no windrows. Maybe the clippings would be even finer with the Gators, I dunno. But unlike previous mowers I've owned, I see no reason to upgrade.

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
I have no experience with oem KB blades, but I run G6 gators on my Woods & ZTR.

The G6 is a great mulching blade, and will hold an edge for at least 100 hrs. Beyond that, not sure of much noticeable difference.

I say buy a set, and do your own comparison. Two sets of blades is handy to have anyway, as you can sharpen the off set at your leisure.

Captaincj

Apr 2, 2019
Hugo, MN
I have no experience with oem KB blades, but I run G6 gators on my Woods & ZTR.

The G6 is a great mulching blade, and will hold an edge for at least 100 hrs. Beyond that, not sure of much noticeable difference.

I say buy a set, and do your own comparison. Two sets of blades is handy to have anyway, as you can sharpen the off set at your leisure.
Good point.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I use stock blades on 54 inch deck. I "mulch", which involves discharging to the centre and mowing over it again on the next pass around the lawn.

The stock blades come with the deck. I'd use them and see if they work on your grass, only buy gators if you're not happy. My impression is that everyone's grass is different, and everyone's view of what good enough looks like is different. We have fine rye grass in some areas, it mulches very well. We have buffalo grass in other areas. It doesn't mulch well, and in growing season it needs mowing a lot.

The advice from others to mow frequently is probably the most important bit. I'd rather mow twice without bagging than once with, and the lawn looks better too, so that's what we do.

Captaincj

Apr 2, 2019
Hugo, MN
I use stock blades on 54 inch deck. I "mulch", which involves discharging to the centre and mowing over it again on the next pass around the lawn.

The stock blades come with the deck. I'd use them and see if they work on your grass, only buy gators if you're not happy. My impression is that everyone's grass is different, and everyone's view of what good enough looks like is different. We have fine rye grass in some areas, it mulches very well. We have buffalo grass in other areas. It doesn't mulch well, and in growing season it needs mowing a lot.

The advice from others to mow frequently is probably the most important bit. I'd rather mow twice without bagging than once with, and the lawn looks better too, so that's what we do.
I agree, I will NEVER bag grass. Ever.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hopefully making a BX2380 + 54" MMM buying decision this week.

I will be side-discharging the MMM and want to know if changing out the factory blades for Gator blades is recommended?

Want best cut, smallest pieces of debris... Mulch out the side is how I would describe what I want to do...

Does the Gator blade have more lift to help stand the grass up better during cutting?

Hate how the front wheels of my existing lawn tractor lay the grass down and then my deck doesn't lift the grass back up during cutting.

Thank you.
I have never used gator blades so cannot comment about those.

I have used both regular (factory) and high lift Kubota blades on my 60" and 72" decks. The high lift blades will lift heavy grass better than the regular blades but are no magic cure for mowing too infrequently.

FWIW: The Kubota high lift Blades cost the same as the standard blades. Perhaps you can get your dealer to swap out the regular blades before delivery.

SDT

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I prefer the Gator mulching blades. The lift is adequate on my ZD mowers, and the clippings are chopped up smaller (but not truly mulched). That said, the G6 Gators keep an edge much longer than any other blade I have used. I cut about 25 acres per week across 15 lawns and sharpen maybe 5 or 6 times throughout the season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro