Drive shaft rubber flange

rokhunter

Equipment
BX23S TLB
Dec 28, 2018
Baker, Florida, United States
So, heard the bx23 start making a funny noise while I was running it, and chased it down to one of the rubber boots on the forward drive shaft. It's come loose before so I chose to ignore it for the next couple hours I ran the tractor. Well...turns out that boot wore away some material from the bottom of the tractor (to the left in the picture) and is now completely shot.

Question: should I be overly concerned about cutting the boot away so it's not spinning against stuff?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
For now cut it off but I would replace it. That’s going to be a real treat.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
There for a reason and I bet that reason is to keep dirt out of the joint. The joint being exposed will accelerate the wear and then not only will you 'take it apart to replace the boot' you'll replace the joint as well.

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
This happened on my BX a couple of months ago, only I didn't hear it and the flailing rubber eventually wore it's way through the plastic wire loom and the wires beneath, taking out power to the fuel lift pump and blowing a fuse.

So yeah, you need to cut the rest of it off, and yes, you should replace it since it keeps dirt out of the CV joint on that end of the drive shaft.

The rubber boot is cheap enough from Messick's. The labor is a little tough, since you've got to undo two pairs of three bolts that hold the CV coupler together, and space is tight. Worst for me was getting cir clip back on the end of the driveshaft, but getting the coupler back in place, fighting the spring compression, took some creative cursing too.

While you in there, you will may find that the four small "ring dampers" underneath the four ball bearings in the CV joint have been damaged, so you might as well order replacements for those as well. Here's what I purchased, including a spare boot and an extra ring damper:

Kubota K2561-14130 (COVER, JOINT) Quantity: 2 $1.84 each $3.68

Kubota K2561-14140 (CIR. CLIP, EXTER) Quantity: 1 $0.62 each $0.62

Kubota K2581-14160 (RING, DAMPER ) Quantity: 5 $0.42 each $2.10​

Note mine was for a BX1870, so a different engine. Pretty sure these parts would be the same, but you might want to double check.

As for instructions, I'd search for YouTube videos that detail replacing the HST Cooling fan. That's at the other end of the driveshaft, but most of the videos show taking apart the CV joints at either end, and the joints are pretty much the same in any case. For your repair, you won't need to touch the fan end.

Good luck!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Before taking stuff apart, invest some time in looking into replacement CV joint boots. They make ones that are split to allow installation without axle removal.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/pa...AHBmMXiRzQXf2cZB5-MOCSs8s-VJlCFRoC8IcQAvD_BwE

Be careful to understand if your boot is stationary or rotates with the shaft.

If it is stationary, there must be a bushing or similar to allow the shaft to rotate with the boot stationary. Ths could be left for the new boot to go over.

Dave

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Before taking stuff apart, invest some time in looking into replacement CV joint boots. They make ones that are split to allow installation without axle removal.
Dave,
Not enough clearance in there for a split boot.