My neighbor has a dog that likes to chase...

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The dogs owners move to the country from the city and they let three dogs run free. When anyone drives, walks, ride 4 wheelers....anything, they chase. And their drive way comes to the gravel county road right on the crown of a slight hill you can't see over.

The UPS driver suggested it would be "nice" if they were not there. Almost cause him to get ran into by another driver.

They chase me when I come by on my Polaris Ranger, but I've just put up with it, until tonight. I brought my dog home and put her in the house and went back up the road at a slow pace. Sure enough, he come out after me. He gets close enough I could kick him, but I hesitate thinking I might get my big foot caught and possible crash. BUT tonight I has a bit of mace ready, and when he got right by my left side I gave him a dose. He instantly changed his mind and quit. I don't know how much spray is in a Wal-Mart mace spray. I guess I'll find out eventually.

If he continues to be on the road I am going to have my cattle prod, and apply it to his head. An internet search says the cattle prod makes a dog attack more. I don't believe that!

Maybe I need to come up with a combination prod/mace application.

I've talked to the owner several time, but I just get a funny face, a nod of the shoulder, and a smile.

How would you handle this?

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You should call your animal control people and show them what you have to deal with

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Whatever you do won't change the dogs habits....just how they react to you.
A low powered BB gun that will sting and not penetrate skin accompanied by a loud shout from you may work. It worked on my neighbors dogs who think my yard is their toilet. If you don't want to go that route, get a water pistol and fill it with vinegar. A blast of that with an accompanying shout may do the trick.
I still have to yell at the dogs but because they associate it with a shot in the ass they run. One of those compressed air horns may work as well.
Most likely one of your pests will get hit by a car and that will be the end of that.
If the owner gave a crap about his dogs he would control them.
My dog is on a leash when he's outside because I don't want him injured.
The local police told me if it's in my yard I could just shoot him. That's how it's handled here.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
This is out in the county. No leash law. Basically a dog can do anything except attack human or livestock.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
As inhumane as it may sound, out here we shoot strays. We keep our pups (have 2, a Coon Hound and a Chow / Lab mix) in the front yard which is fenced. The only time they go out is on a leash with a choke collar on. Both love to go for a walk and we have them both trained not to chase or act aggressive.

We have an ongoing wild dog issue out here. People from the city come out here and turn their unwanted dogs loose and they pack up and cause harm to livestock so, here in Michigan you can shoot wild dogs (aka: yotes) on sight no season, no license needed.

People across the road have a Rottie and a Lab and both are wonderful, friendly pups but they have an 'invisible fence' and it works.

I'm a dog lover but I believe in being responsible with your pets. Maybe you should 'gift' the neighbor with a invisible fence. They don't cost all that much or if push comes to shove, eliminate the dog.

I don't see much in the way of any other avenue, obviously the neighbor is irresponsible and that is too bad.

Every dog we have had in the 35 years we've owned the farm has been a cast off pup, out present 2 included. The coon hound came to us by way of our vet and the Chow Lab mix came sauntering down the drive 3 years ago and has never left. He's very attached to my wife, I'm chopped liver except at walk time.

Both came housebroken and both came well trained. It baffles me why anyone would spend the time and effort to train a pup and then discard it like an old newspaper.

Both sleep in the bedroom with us every night, have their own food bowls and favorite rug to sleep on. Neither has ever messed in the house and both go camping with us in the RV too. The chow/lab mix weighs 120 pounds, the coon weighs maybe 60. Like mutt and jeff, they are fun to watch.

First time we took the Chow Lab to our vet, he quipped that we never have to worry about a burglar. Looks like a junkyard dog, solid black with dark menacing eyes but in reality he's a big puss.

Sure you can tell, we like dogs. What we don't like is irresponsible owners ad really don't like is wild packing dogs. Having livestock, I'm always on the lookout for wild dogs and I won't hesitate to eliminate them. I have a 22-250 Savage that does the job just fine.

I feel for you. I really hate dogs that run loose and chase vehicles and / or people. Poor training on the owners part.

Off my soapbox now.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I might add that out here where we live, it's against the law to ride an ORV (quad, side by side or even a Kubota RTV or a Polaris Ranger or a Mule on any public road unless it pertains to ag use., no exceptions. I ride my Honda quad on the road but it has a spray rig on the back and it's not for fun, it's for weed control.

Last year we had a kid get killed down the road on a quad, I think a raptor or some such, going way too fast, lost control (we live on a dirt road), hit a guardrail that is over a culvert and got killed.

LE, State Police and the Sheriff really frown on them and will ticket you if they catch you.

Maybe where you live it's different but here in Michigan, that is how it plays.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Okay, I will make what I think may be an unpopular suggestion but here it goes. I would shoot any aggressive dogs. I have been bitten and severely hurt by an aggressive dog before. What I mean here is that the dog drew blood and I needed medical care. When I called animal control they did nothing at all. Long story short, I will never go through the same thing again. Dog owners have a responsibility to control their pets. If a dog is aggressive, it cannot be trusted to back off and you should defend yourself against it, with deadly force if necessary.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Dogs continue to chase cars because it works -- if the dog could tell the story it would go something like "A car was approaching my territory, but I ran out barking at it and it ran away."

I once worked at a place that had a very aggressive German Shepard chained up next door. That dog would lunge and bark furiously at any vehicle or person driving through the alley. After once or twice, I had enough and would stop and back my vehicle up, roll down the window and stare him down.

The first few times, he would stop and back down, after a minute or two, but start up again as soon as I started to move again. I would instantly put the truck back in reverse and do it again. I wouldn't leave until he calmed down and stopped trying to chase me. He soon learned to recognize me and my truck and would immediately back off when he saw me coming.

It didn't help anyone else though. He still tried to chase away anything else that moved.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Like the man said somebody will run over it most likely, but that does not help you in the meantime. SO unless you are will to snap a cap on it, I fear you will be putting up with it, cause dogs chase anything that moves that the nature of the beast. NOW a complaint to the dog catcher or the PoPo about an aggressive dog might work or the local game warden about dogs chasing deer might get the owners attention when a fine is laid on them. But more than likely you will find it sleeping in a ditch before to long

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
i love dogs... but as was said above...

believe an owner should control his animals. when they dont? its unfortunate for the animal... but it is what it is.

mace/pepper spray works good. they hate the air horns in the can.

an airsoft pistol is really effective & you can keep pouring it onto them as they run off so that they get the message.

its true, it wont stop them from doing it, but they will learn not to do it to YOU.

other than putting them down? thats really about all you can do.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
There is a guy down the road from us with 2 loose dogs that always chase people when they walk or bicycle past.
The owner has been contacted but he is unresponsive ad potentially dangerous.
There is an "inn to inn" route that hikers use that passes by the place and the inn owners have taken to shuttling the walkers by car past the offending dogs.
I now carry my Ruger pistol on my bicycle and have used it once to warn the dogs by shooting in front of them.
I don't want to kill them but am prepared to do so if necessary.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is Rabies. You don't know if a dog, any dog is a carrier because they may not show any outward signs. The gal I used to cut hay for was bitten by an unrestrained dog that tested positive for rabies and she had to go through the painful and expensive shot regimen for the disease.

Not something I'd want to go through.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
These dong have resided there now 3 years, I think. There were originally 3, now down to 2. One was killing a neighbor's chickens, then went across the road chasing that neighbor's horse and cattle. One neighbor called the other to notify them of the dog. Dog was, what's the word, "dispatched". That man took the collar to owner. Apparently, no big deal. Now we have have 2 was the response.

What's real odd, this same dog will come up to me setting in the same Ranger (with my dog in the seat) and absolutely be no trouble when I'm out in the hay field while his "master" is running the baler.

So will a dog eat a cattle prod when used on him, or is the mase a better tool?

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
It is strange the way some people think that if you live in the country you can let your animals roam free with no restrictions. When in fact living in the country demands even more awareness of where your animals are and what they do. Luckily my dogs have always been close to me, I actually told a new neighbor if he ever saw my dog without me then he would know something was wrong. Had neighbors that had too many horses on their small plot of land so they would "accidentally" get lose and graze the empty lots and roadside. I really didn't care if they used that grass but they would come down my driveway too so I had to invest a few hundred bucks in a driveway gate. As Janis Joplin said "Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose".

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
These dong have resided there now 3 years, I think. There were originally 3, now down to 2. One was killing a neighbor's chickens, then went across the road chasing that neighbor's horse and cattle. One neighbor called the other to notify them of the dog. Dog was, what's the word, "dispatched". That man took the collar to owner. Apparently, no big deal. Now we have have 2 was the response.

What's real odd, this same dog will come up to me setting in the same Ranger (with my dog in the seat) and absolutely be no trouble when I'm out in the hay field while his "master" is running the baler.

So will a dog eat a cattle prod when used on him, or is the mase a better tool?
Full metal jacket is the best answer actually. I'd stick with the mace myself.

You could always buy a Taser and 'tase' the mutt.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
The dog that attacked me was a Collie. It never barked and there was absolutely no warning that the dog would attack. I was on a public street and the nearest house was a hundred yards away. There was no reason to suspect that a dog would be present and territorial. When it attacked, it came out of nowhere. I did not see it or hear it before the attack. It bit right through my boot and tore through the skin under the boot. The dog's teeth were in so deep that it was stuck for a few horrifying seconds. I required stitches. That was in 1987. If I had a firearm on me at that time, I would have shot the dog but I did not have a carry permit back then. If the same thing happened to me today, it would have been a much different ending.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I rarely carry around the farm but, there is always a firearm nearby. My tractors are 'equipped with firearms every time I take them out. Usually a 1911 45 but sometimes a short barrelled rifle.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I had one that was so intent on catching me on a bike that it ran straight in to a road sign pole, flipped over a few times in the air and headed back home tail tucked. Never chased me or anyone again. Since that time the owner keeps it on a long run between the house and barn. I'd be more concerned with my dog getting in to it with a coyote or feral cat. They don't back down

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Shooting / macing / tasering / cattle prodding the dogs is not the answer... Shooting (non lethal ) / macing / tasering / cattle prodding the owner on the other hand should produce some quick results. :eek: :p :cool:

Yes this is 100% in jest! :D