Can I do my own 1st service

Keeth1123

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Dec 13, 2018
Sunshine state
I am quickly approaching 50 hours and was planning on doing my first service. I read my owners manual several times and know I need three filters and new oil. I was planning on going to Kubota to get the parts, but doing the labor myself.

A friend of mine who is also approaching their 50 hour mark said their dealer (different than mine) advises the first service must be done at the dealer to keep the warranty valid? Anyone heard of this? I double checked the manual and it says nothing about this and it also sounds insane. But on the other hand, I have seen people pump their front axel full of grease at the 50 hr mark :D.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Your friends' dealer is full of bumpkiss.

Do it yourself and save the receipts for filters/oil. I would suggest using Kubota filters and hydraulic oil. Engine oil...that's your decision.

Keeth1123

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Dec 13, 2018
Sunshine state
Your friends' dealer is full of bumpkiss.

Do it yourself and save the receipts for filters/oil. I would suggest using Kubota filters and hydraulic oil. Engine oil...that's your decision.
That’s what I thought. I will be buying all products form Kubota to include all fluids. I paid too much for my little tractor to save a handful of money on oil

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
First off like the other have said YES YOU CAN DO IT, also ther is a federal law that states your warranty cannot be voided if you do your own work,, Harley dealers did this shit for years and a lot of people were raped over it.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Keeth1123

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Dec 13, 2018
Sunshine state
Good to know.

I was going to take it in initially but changed my mind after learning you don’t have to drain the transmission or hydraulic fluid, just the filters for these systems as well as the oil / oil filter

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Good to know.

I was going to take it in initially but changed my mind after learning you don’t have to drain the transmission or hydraulic fluid, just the filters for these systems as well as the oil / oil filter
That's correct. You'll lose a little hydraulic oil when you do your filters...have a catch pan ready and screw the new one on quickly. So make sure to purchase a gallon of Kubota Super UDT2 to top off the transmission / hydraulics after the filter change.

If it makes you feel better, I bought a brand new MX4800 last year and a brand new L2501 this year. I did the initial service on the MX last year at 67 hours; I'll do the initial service on the L2501 sometime around 50.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Same fluid, shared fill point at the rear of the tractor. Super UDT2 as I mentioned.

Nope, I wax mine at least once a year. Unfortunately, Kubota paint tends to fade.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Is the transmission fluid and the hydraulic fluid the same fluid?

Am I the only one who had waxed their tractor? Lol
Yes. For the first question.

No. For the second question.

You may want to look up the shop vac trick when changing the hydro filters. Unless you're really fast on the filter swap.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello
Simply ask your dealer for that in writing. I can guarantee you it won't happen. I recently had one of my customers that I do service work for told me Bobcat told him he must use Bobcat filters or it would void his warranty. I called bobcat and asked where I could find that in print. General manager service manager salesman. No one could produce it. As others have said there is a law in place. Good Luck . Lance

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
As long as you buy the oil and filters from Kubota and keep the record there should be no problem.

To change the hydraulic filter I pulled op on a hill and used the fell to lift the front end and put wheel blocks on the rear.
Only lost what was in the filter.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I’m not looking to start anything, but some of us actually change hydraulic fluid at 50, and also change the front axle fluid.

Apparently the service schedule did specify the change at 50, but was revised 6-8 years ago.

It also quieted the HST whine, which has also improved with 2 changes since. I’m at about 350 hours now over 6+ years, so I consider the additional fluid cost negligible versus the cost of my BX new.

Some BX guys have found A LOT of sealant on their HST Fluid screens. I’d prefer to find that sooner than later. Mine had some machining residue/shavings, but was fine otherwise.

Just saying... I did and felt better about it.

I’m 100% with the others.... Kubota filters and fluids and keep receipts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
Do it yourself. Gives you a chance to "bond" with your new baby and get to know it better. The warranty talk is B.S. Keep your receipts and mark the date and hours on the filters with a sharpie.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Same fluid, shared fill point at the rear of the tractor. Super UDT2 as I mentioned.

Nope, I wax mine at least once a year. Unfortunately, Kubota paint tends to fade.
You ain't whistling dixie there. Both my M's are Mary Kay pink now.:D

I've always did my own services and minor mechanical work too. I use Kubota filters but I use Chevron THC Synthetic hydraulic oil and Rotella T6 in the engines. The front axles both get 80-90 gear oil but I shock load my fronts all the time when farming.

Just checked the dealer price on SUDT today, 105 bucks a 5 gallon pail. My units each take just under 15 gallons a change and 9 quarts of motor oil.

Don't pay a lot of attention to accured hours, I just change everything every spring before farm time. So far so good at 1700 and 3500 hours.

Last edited:

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
That’s what I thought. I will be buying all products form Kubota to include all fluids. I paid too much for my little tractor to save a handful of money on oil
Buying Kubota filters and hydraulic fluid (Super UDT II) is good. However, the Kubota motor oil in not synthetic, and you are better off with a good synthetic desiel rated oil for the motor. You may want to buy the motor oil elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I’m not looking to start anything, but some of us actually change hydraulic fluid at 50, and also change the front axle fluid.

Apparently the service schedule did specify the change at 50, but was revised 6-8 years ago.

It also quieted the HST whine, which has also improved with 2 changes since. I’m at about 350 hours now over 6+ years, so I consider the additional fluid cost negligible versus the cost of my BX new.

Some BX guys have found A LOT of sealant on their HST Fluid screens. I’d prefer to find that sooner than later. Mine had some machining residue/shavings, but was fine otherwise.

Just saying... I did and felt better about it.

I’m 100% with the others.... Kubota filters and fluids and keep receipts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SUDT2 is very expensive (see Flip's pricing) and while the BX doesn't have that large a capapcity, you might think twice about it if you needed to spend several hundred dollars at 50 hours when Kubota says "not necessary."

You ain't whistling dixie there. Both my M's are Mary Kay pink now.:D

I've always did my own services and minor mechanical work too. I use Kubota filters but I use Chevron THC Synthetic hydraulic oil and Rotella T6 in the engines. The front axles both get 80-90 gear oil but I shock load my fronts all the time when farming.

Just checked the dealer price on SUDT today, 105 bucks a 5 gallon pail. My units each take just under 15 gallons a change and 9 quarts of motor oil.

Don't pay a lot of attention to accured hours, I just change everything every spring before farm time. So far so good at 1700 and 3500 hours.
I run Rotella T6 in my Ford 6.7L and my RAM 6.7L. I think it would be totally fine in the Kubota, maybe I'll switch. I typically buy the Kubota-branded standard oil.

I'm surprised your big tractors don't have even higher fluid capacities than what you list. My MX4800, for example, holds nearly 12 gallons of hydraulic fluid and the engine actually has a 10-quart capacity, despite the MX being significantly smaller. Maybe the DPF requires more oil capacity, who knows.

Buying Kubota filters and hydraulic fluid (Super UDT II) is good. However, the Kubota motor oil in not synthetic, and you are better off with a good synthetic desiel rated oil for the motor. You may want to buy the motor oil elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
Synthetic oil is not required, and these tractors aren't factory-filled with it, either. If you stay on schedule, there is really no reason for synthetic unless you are trying to push the intervals further out.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
You may want to check with your dealer. I was less than 50 hrs and needed hydro fluid because of a line leak. I was buying SUDT2 and the dealer said I had to use regular SUDT because that's what was initially put in, and mixing the synthetic SUDT2 into it would not be good. I had assumed it originally came with synthetic but I was wrong.

If you are just changing filters, make sure you refill with what's already in there. If you are changing fluids out and it's not already SUDT2, I'd recommend making the switch if you have an HST unit, it really quiets things down.

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
Freeheeler, Kubota Super UDT2 is fully Compatible with UDT & Super UDT.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
SUDT2 is very expensive (see Flip's pricing) and while the BX doesn't have that large a capapcity, you might think twice about it if you needed to spend several hundred dollars at 50 hours when Kubota says "not necessary."

I run Rotella T6 in my Ford 6.7L and my RAM 6.7L. I think it would be totally fine in the Kubota, maybe I'll switch. I typically buy the Kubota-branded standard oil.

I'm surprised your big tractors don't have even higher fluid capacities than what you list. My MX4800, for example, holds nearly 12 gallons of hydraulic fluid and the engine actually has a 10-quart capacity, despite the MX being significantly smaller. Maybe the DPF requires more oil capacity, who knows.

Synthetic oil is not required, and these tractors aren't factory-filled with it, either. If you stay on schedule, there is really no reason for synthetic unless you are trying to push the intervals further out.
My M with the 2 speed PTO holds jut under 15 gallons of hydraulic oil and the open station single speed PTO holds just over 13 gallons The 2 speed PTO case is larger and has more capacity than the single speed case.

An oil change without filter is 9 quarts, almost 10 with the filter.

Last time I bought Chevron Synthetic THC from my jobber it was 80 bucks a pail, slightly cheaper in a 55 gallon drum. I like Chevron, it's Kubota approved (as is Rotella hydraulic fluid) but the Rotella has the same issue the UDT /SUDT has, it's clear and with a dipstick, it's very hard to see.

The Chevron on the other hand is orange (of all things) so it's easy for my old eyes to see on the dipstick. If I had a sight glass, would be a non issue. I don't. Kind of wish Kubota had put a small hole in the dipstick at the minimum and maximum points like they do on cars. That way if the oil is full, it bridges the hole and makes it easy to see. I may, at some point drill mine if I ever go back to a clear fluid which, is highly unlikely.

Very happy with Chevron THC, plus I get it at a good price.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Freeheeler, Kubota Super UDT2 is fully Compatible with UDT & Super UDT.
My dealer said they should not be mixed at all :confused: and I just took it at face value. Guess I should have researched it myself first. That's what I like about OTT, lots of folks to learn from.