L3800 Hood Strut Sizing

gkk2001

Equipment
F3680, L3800 HST
Aug 14, 2011
Central GA, USA
I managed to loose my hood strut after doing some maintenance. I think I threw it out by mistake. Dumb, I know. Pricing a new one, it is $111. So my inner cheapskate says, I can size a new one, buy it for $30 to max $50 and be ahead.

I found the strut sizing formula on several sites. I will need to weigh the hood (or estimate fairly well), measure the hood length, measure the pivot point relative to the hinge, and of course know the open and closed lengths.

Question, has anyone done this or know the design details typical for these struts? Biggest single spec to determine is opening force required to lift the hood when the pivot point is not designed for optimum leverage. Pivot point is placed for optimum room for general maintenance, not for ease of opening the hood.
So I believe it will take a hefty strut. Any thoughts?

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
subscribing since my tractor is an earlier model to yours and did not have struts and the hood is pretty heavy. Wondering what it weights.

Wouldn't someone else be able to read the code on their struts, markings on the lift support might give you the information needed.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
subscribing since my tractor is an earlier model to yours and did not have struts and the hood is pretty heavy. Wondering what it weights.

Wouldn't someone else be able to read the code on their struts, markings on the lift support might give you the information needed.
I will check mine this weekend and post back if there is any info on it.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

This is the tag off the hood strut of mine. Uses the same as the L3800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gkk2001

Equipment
F3680, L3800 HST
Aug 14, 2011
Central GA, USA

This is the tag off the hood strut of mine. Uses the same as the L3800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fordtech86...I would kiss you if you were near. Well, maybe a big, I owe you. This tells me what I needed to know. I see you have an L3200, very similar tractor and the 65 kg force is 143 lbs force. That is a hefty amount as expected.
There are some great people on this site.

gkk2001

Equipment
F3680, L3800 HST
Aug 14, 2011
Central GA, USA
I also see the part number is identical. Assuming I will find a cost effective replacement, I will post the details. Thanks again.