DNR??? really?

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I do not see that happening. Lawsuits down the road.
I can see hospitals taking DNR orders more directly. Several people I have known had DNR's and 'no extraordinary effort' medical directives. Each time, the hospital was afraid to follow through until family signed off, in many instances forcing a person to live in misery longer than they would of.
I have a DNR and I expect it to be followed.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Each time, the hospital was afraid to follow through until family signed off, in many instances forcing a person to live in misery longer than they would of.
True dat.
My FIL has two separate DNRs on file, and both times he coded, my MIL screamed that they were to do everything possible to save him, and ignore the DNR. That's what they did both times.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
This is a tough one but I believe you have to go with a persons wishes. Two years ago we had to make that decision for my father. Although it was difficult he made it quite clear that when his quality of life was gone he wanted us to let him go which we did. Not an easy decision by any means but we did it for him. Like my father I made it clear that I feel the same way, let's face it, there's no beating the clock.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
An example of this happened with my mother and her brother at about the same time. Mom was on her way out and between my sister and her they decided when to let go, with my support. Her brother's family did everything to keep that poor guy alive and he went through hell for two years, no quality of life at all. I am a firm believer in quality of life over quantity of life, hope I am brave enough to follow through when it is my time.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If I had my DNR, written in plain english, 'signed ,sealed ,delivered' to the hospital and the hospital brought me back to life... the first thing I'd do is ask for a phone, 2nd thing, call my lawyer and tell him to sue the hospital for every penny they got. 3rd, buy a lottery ticket.

KTuk4J

Equipment
B2650 Duetz Allis 6275 CAT D6 CAT 110B
Mar 2, 2020
NW OR
There are only so many they can treat at a time.
What else is there to do if there are no other means.

(You have 5 one dollar bills to hand out to people needing, there are 7 people in line for the hand out,
2 won't get the dollar bill. How would you decide who gets each of the dollar bills?)

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
T(You have 5 one dollar bills to hand out to people needing, there are 7 people in line for the hand out,
2 won't get the dollar bill. How would you decide who gets each of the dollar bills?)
Simple answer: none, they can go out and earn it just like I did!