Amazon delivery drivers........?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Well, as I see it, if you are curious as to why the delivery person shows up in attire you feel inappropriate.... then ask THEM the question... Respectfully, and listen to their response.
If you don’t like their response then complain to the retailer about their delivery people’s attire. Good luck with that, because I suspect many delivery people are “independent contractors”..... sometimes also called “small business owners” and “self-employed”...kinda like farmers.
I never can recall caring one whit how my lettuce-grower was dressed. Or wondered if I had the right to impose my personal dressing habits upon them.
It seems to me that vesting the complaint on an internet forum will have the result of your obtaining different opinions on the matter... but not likely to influence the delivery business. Sorta like telling the neighbor your complaint about the California lettuce-business.... not likely to produce (pardon the pun) the corrective action you desire. ;)

KTuk4J

Equipment
B2650 Duetz Allis 6275 CAT D6 CAT 110B
Mar 2, 2020
NW OR
Well, as I see it, if you are curious as to why the delivery person shows up in attire you feel inappropriate.... then ask THEM the question... Respectfully, and listen to their response.
If you don***8217;t like their response then complain to the retailer about their delivery people***8217;s attire. Good luck with that, because I suspect many delivery people are ***8220;independent contractors***8221;..... sometimes also called ***8220;small business owners***8221; and ***8220;self-employed***8221;...kinda like farmers.
I never can recall caring one whit how my lettuce-grower was dressed. Or wondered if I had the right to impose my personal dressing habits upon them.
It seems to me that vesting the complaint on an internet forum will have the result of your obtaining different opinions on the matter... but not likely to influence the delivery business. Sorta like telling the neighbor your complaint about the California lettuce-business.... not likely to produce (pardon the pun) the corrective action you desire. ;)
I feel it's Amazons responsibility, not mine.
And as well to ensure their drivers are identifiable.

I do have the option to "close the gate" and only allow deliveries to be left where wanted and indicated.

This is an "Off Topic" section. As any you can elect to participate or choose not to.
Just maybe there is an Amazon manager who owns a Kubota!

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I had an Amazon delivery just yesterday (on a Sunday!)

The driver came thru our ranch gate 1/2 mile away and drove my dirt road to my house, stopping at my house-driveway...and honked the horn. I got out of my easy chair and walked over to the window and saw a delivery truck (with Amazon placard on it) and a black female driver sitting in the drivers seat, apparently unwilling to step out of the vehicle.... likely because of my large German Shepard excitedly circling the vehicle.

I walked outside toward the vehicle and yelled to her that the dog was “friendly” and excited to see a visitor. The woman got out of the truck and handed me the package. She was dressed in an Amazon uniform, and kept a wary eye on the dog who ran her dog-nose all-over the driver’s uniform pant-legs. She was newly-arrived from West Africa and spoke with heavy accent.

I thanked the driver and offered her water... or a Coke... which she gladly accepted.

I’m sure this is what everyone reading would prefer.

But I was JUST as happy to receive the badly-needed refrigerator parts from the Saturday delivery-boy who arrived in a jalopy and jeans and long hair.

He only accepted a bottle of water but tossed the tennis ball for the dog.

We’re all lucky to be where we are and I’m glad Amazon does such a good job. Now if they would only pay some taxes....

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I notice the first video is a UNIFORMED delivery person, driving a AMAZON truck. You might prefer delivery people in pajamas.

I even have heard of people... who STEAL TRACTORS!

And clergy to do evil things....

What is the world coming-to...

(Dont know why you have a special hate for delivery people who dont dress formally ...but still do their job properly.)

Last edited:

KTuk4J

Equipment
Mar 2, 2020
NW OR

(Dont know why you have a special hate for delivery people who dont dress formally ...but still do their job properly.)
My point exactly, I guess we should all let our guard down and not require any formal sort recognizable means of association with who we contract with.

I would then feel it wouldn't matter to you if they were naked in any establishment, public or private.

(Don't know why one would feel making deliveries in pajamas, slippers and without some sort of dress standard is impracticable.)

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I pulled into a business to do a pickup and a driver of a full sized semi flatbed came walking in ahead of me. He was dressed in shorts, a tank top, and flip-flops. He told the counter man that he was there to pick up a load and the counter man looked him up and down and said, "Never come into my shop dressed like that again and don't ever come back period."Or words to that effect. The driver began to argue with the counter man but soon left without a load.

So dressing correctly does still matter to some people.

KTuk4J

Equipment
Mar 2, 2020
NW OR
I pulled into a business to do a pickup and a driver of a full sized semi flatbed came walking in ahead of me. He was dressed in shorts, a tank top, and flip-flops. He told the counter man that he was there to pick up a load and the counter man looked him up and down and said, "Never come into my shop dressed like that again and don't ever come back period."Or words to that effect. The driver began to argue with the counter man but soon left without a load.

Good for him! :p

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I notice the first video is a UNIFORMED delivery person, driving a AMAZON truck. You might prefer delivery people in pajamas.

I even have heard of people... who STEAL TRACTORS!

And clergy to do evil things....

You posted about the wonderful "uniformed woman". My reply was not all are good.

Why do I have to hate all delivery drivers that don't dress right? I am too young to hate anything. I think you run around calling that "binary" thinking.

There is nothing wrong with standards and there are times in life that no matter how bad we want it, not everyone can make the required standard.

Instead of driving us all down to the lowest common denominator, how about aiming a little higher?

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
I guess I fall in the boat of if it isn't hurting anyone then I don't really care. I will joke about people showing up in their pajamas to work and things like that but I don't mind it all that much.

I mean people get robbed by people in uniform all the time. Crooks use stuff like that to blend in so they have a window to get what they want. A lady with a nest of hair and hello kitty pajamas on would be pretty easy to pick out in a crowd that isn't walmart, while an guy who pulled up to an empty house in an HVAC van would be more difficult.

As long as they pay the taxes they are responsible for, don't hurt anyone, and do their best to better their lives/put food on the table it doesn't change my plan for the day.

KTuk4J

Equipment
Mar 2, 2020
NW OR
Continuance to lower our standards to the point of becoming a cesspool.

Add that to the potential of economic disaster and we can all float in the mess wearing our pj's and slippers!

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN

When I had drivers in my trucks, I made it vary plain that they were to wear appropriate clothing and PPE while on duty and if I heard from a customer to the contrary, they would be let go. They were the public face of my business, and I expected them to display the proper dress and attitude.

The array of rude, smelly, sloppy, morbidly obese, inappropriately dressed drivers I have encountered in the last few years is a failure of the trucking industry to demand proper attire, personal hygene and behavior from drivers.
Unfortunately, the shortage of drivers has let such behavior go unpunished and become endemic.

I always found that in most cases, appearance and personality are a pretty reliable, but not always foolproof indicator of the type of employee that person will be.

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
And...so we have all heard from those who live in the “Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave”.

Glad you guys don’t run things or we’d all be wearing red arm-bands and saying “Heil!”.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
And...so we have all heard from those who live in the “Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave”.

Glad you guys don’t run things or we’d all be wearing red arm-bands and saying “Heil!”.
You sound triggered? The German Nazis killed millions of people, are you old enough to know or remember that?

Asking someone representing a company to dress professionally isn't QUITE the same as killing millions of people.

Maybe try another example.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine

We DO run things. We are bosses with workers. Some of us set standards for our personnel and do so without apology.

How that makes us Nazis can only be rationalized by people with mental illness or serious character flaws.

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
While crooked or honest doesn't have anything to do with the way you dress, your cleanliness and dress do have something to do with getting a job. As a self-employed carpenter I'm sure that if I dropped off an estimate wearing pajama's, robe and slippers I wouldn't get most jobs. When I had a crew working they could wear old worn clothing but they needed to look like got themselves cleaned up. They didn't leave coffee cups and cigarette butts around. They were respectful to the Homeowner and of their place. When I was young we went to job interviews clean, were polite and acted like we cared. Getting dressed, be clean and acting like you cared might help the delivery person to get tips or the next job.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Back when I worked for a living, we were given 2 pairs of coverall, with reflective striping and Govt patches, PPE, boots and what not. While there was no written dress code for field work, the UOD was mostly Dicky work clothes, pants and shirts. We had to present ourselves in a professional light. Interviews were to be business casual, court appearances dark preferably black suit whte shirt and dark tie,, no Jimmi Hendrix Flying eye ball ties. Well groomed, shaved and hair cut. And we were severely reprimanded if our manners were not spot on when in court or with a lawyer.
In the field, again you were the man, and had to act like you knew what the hell you were doing and enforced the code with out predigest toward any one.
It is sad to see how far down the tubes we have gone, being so lackadaisical about our appearance and manners. I guess we have no one but our selves to blame, WE have allowed it, not something our forefathers would have accepted.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I've spent most of my working life in a office environment. Long ago, men wore suits. I even recall my dad wearing a tie while push mowing the lawn.
Eventually, it went business casual. I had no problem with that. Though I found wearing a suit simpler, I really only had to select a tie. Suit, white shirt, black shoes. Simple.
Business casual slowly evolved into nice jeans and a button down shirt. That changed to being a T-Shirt then the jeans were having more 'personality'. Then Birkenstocks. Now I see shorts, flip-flops and tank tops.
Clothes do make the man and are an expression of pride and professionalism. To me, it shows attention to detail. While it does not mean the person has a clue as to what they are doing, it gives me hope that they do.
At home, I am a slob. Sweat pants. T-Shirts that have holes in them. But as soon as I am ready to exit my property, I make myself presentable.
I see a mans workshop in the same manner. Neat, organized is the sign of a person who takes pride in what they do. Garbage on the floor, workbenches covered with failed projects, yeah...no.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
But as soon as I am ready to exit my property, I make myself presentable.
A prime example of this total lapse in proper dress when in public was demonstrated a few years ago on a Sunday morning when I was setting in the local Old Country Buffet enjoying breakfast, when a family came in who looked like, and I'm sure they actually had, just rolled out of bed. All were in pajamas, tee shirts, and the woman, who was amply endowed and had no bra on under her shirt, was actually wearing big fuzzy animal slippers. I've seen better dressed refugees.
They sat down a couple of tables away, and soon after they had filled their plates and sat down, the manager, whom I knew personally, went over to their table and quietly explained to them that they were not dressed properly and would not be permitted to come back again dressed in similar attire. The man got pissed and said not to worry, and promised they would never come back. The manager thanked them for that promise.

If I owned a restaurant, there would be a sign on the door prohibiting pajamas, flip flops and shirts or hats with vulgar expressions on them.