COVID-19 Stuff

Carry on with the political ranting, mud slinging, name calling, and insults, or close the thread.

• Leave it open

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Close the thread

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Re: Is the sky falling?

Shelled corn cobs work as TP too.:D

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN

NIW, the 'solution' in your situation is... Dig a hole out back, build a shanty over it. Build a bench with a hole in the top over the hole, add some lime to the hole, put some old read newspapers next to the hole and use the hole to poop in and wipe your bum with the newsprint. One, you cannot plug it up, two, the lime will break down the poop and we we and the newsprint as well and three, while you sit there you can read the papers and digest old news....

In your case, as well as mine, that tree over there makes a better we we spot.:eek:
Given the current quality of journalism, I'm not sure there are any newspapers out there that are fit to wipe my arse with.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Given the current quality of journalism, I'm not sure there are any newspapers out there that are fit to wipe my arse with.
In reality, that is about all they are good for............:rolleyes:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan

Aside from making fun of the situation, there are some serious bits that deserve attention.

The US response has been a cluster f---. The response to block flights from China, was a great start, but then allowing people back without quarantine kind of messed things up. No matter what, the virus would have gotten here, but the more prepared we are the better, and we threw away a precious lead time. The choice to go with a CDC developed test (instead of one used by the WHO) and which then, for its first batches, had a contaminated component lost us valuable information. You can't tell how fast the virus is spreading if you don't have test kits that work. Whether that test kit decision was a money thing or a power thing, or just a mistake, it still lost valuable time. Now the kits are out there, but no one knows how much spread there is in a community until people start to get sick, and by then many more people are infected.

The reason why it was foolish for the POTUS to tweet out misinformation in an attempt to keep everyone calm, is that as soon as people find out stuff isn't true there is a credibility gap, and then panic ensues. This is not just like a flu virus, no big deal as he said. I thought it was particularly funny when he said something about no one dies of the flu, and his own grandfather died.

Besides hoarding corn cobs, what is important and why:

There is no treatment, and no vaccine, and there is no "herd immunity" meaning no one has had it before and recovered, so basically anyone that is exposed is likely to catch it. This is really different from most of the "regular" flu's where spread will be slower because a lot of people have antibodies because they either have had it before or were vaccinated, and therefore won't catch it, and won't give it to anyone else either. If 20% of the people that catch it require medical attention, 20% of everyone is a big number! The health care system will be overwhelmed here as it is in Italy, and as it was in China. We simply don't have enough healthcare workers and hospital beds and high tech equipment to go around.

What we know about the virus is that it is highly contagious, and people can shed virus and infect someone else before they are symptomatic. So measuring temperatures at the airport is only partly effective. Telling people to stay home if they are sick is also only partly effective at curtailing spread. The only thing that is effective at slowing the spread is "social isolation". This means staying away from people unless absolutely necessary. And wash your hands a million times a day.

The old (over 60!) seem to die more frequently than the young among the cases that have been tested and verified as covid 19. Children exhibit few or no symptoms, and if you know how they wipe their noses with the backs of their hands and then put their chubby little hands in yours, can act as remarkably efficient spreaders. So keeping them away from Grandma is smart. Closing schools is therefore a good idea.

What is not known is anything about the long term consequences of an infection if you don't die. How long are you sub par? I had regular old pneumonia once when I was in my 30s. It was a couple of months before I could bound up the stairs two at a time again. The covid 19 has been observed to cause lung fibrosis (scar tissue formation) by MRI scans. Some kinds of lung fibrosis never go away..so how long before you can work effectively again?

Nothing is known about damage to babies in utero if the mother is infected. Some of these viruses cause damage to the developing nervous system during the early stages of pregnancy, remember the Zika virus babies?

A pathologist reported finding the covid 19 virus post mortem in the brain stem, where the motor neurons are that regulate breathing. That might account for why respirators are needed for the sickest. And maybe why someone might go suddenly from a slight cough to dead in a few hours (my speculation). A lot of viruses migrate to the cns via nerve cells, think shingles. So I would not conclude that this is a benign virus until there is a whole lot more information available.

I am convinced this virus is a problem of unknown proportions, and that I don't want to get it. The CDC has a website with a lot of information on it:
coronavirus.gov.

What I think is useful for most people to do is

get refills on your most needed meds, eg high blood pressure, insulin, etc.
arrange to work at home if possible
avoid gatherings of large or maybe even medium numbers of people
consider ordering a lot of stuff on line
be considerate of other people, not doing what you want may slow the spread and let the health care system catch up

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada

Awesome write up my friend, thank you very much. You're right, this is definitely not something to take lightly. Now as for this over 60 thing, does it help if you're only 18 in your mind.;)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

U of M just had a confirmed case and I have to go to St. Joe's next week... Oh boy.:eek:

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States

I hope you don't have to be a Morman to be prepared?
The jackrabbits around here can be a little skittish at times! :D
View attachment 47704

View attachment 47705
Naw. Just pointing out how I became a so called prepper. Since we got married in '66 she has practiced as her Church advises the stocking of provisions etc . Originally when I was young and dumb to the real world thought this a little far out but at some point I started agreeing with that idea.
We now have a case reported yesterday of the c19 in Longview which is about 25 miles , about 100000 population. We went there tonight for Mexican food & the restaurant was busy busy. Filled up the Subaru for 1.88 a gal.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com

We now have a confirmed case in Mississippi. He had recently traveled to/from Florida and is now in "self quarantine". I suppose that it is not if but when it will be an all states. :(

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

I saw a report online the NBA canceled a game tonight in Salt Lake City (I think) just a few minutes before the tip off. A couple of player were sick and there was a meeting between some health official and both coaches. Then the announcer asked everyone to leave.

That's an indication of how serious things are, like it or not.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont

I saw a report online the NBA canceled a game tonight in Salt Lake City (I think) just a few minutes before the tip off. A couple of player were sick and there was a meeting between some health official and both coaches. Then the announcer asked everyone to leave.

That's an indication of how serious things are, like it or not.
They suspended the entire season as of today:eek:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Tom Hanks and his partner tested positive in Australia yesterday and the are staying there for a couple weeks in isolation. It's going to get real bad, real fast I suspect, ,mainly because people are 1. Arrogant, 2. Stupid and 3. Only care about themselves and don't take into account what or how their actions impact others.

I suspect this will be a real 'wake up' call for the world, in general. Maybe a 'go to sleep permanently' call. Not sure which.

Keep your TP close as it's almost impossible to get........:eek:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan

U of M just had a confirmed case and I have to go to St. Joe's next week... Oh boy.:eek:
Flip, weigh the cost benefit of that visit...I cancelled a planned routine appt with my primary care physician for next Monday. I wrote on patient portal last weekend that since I was fine, and anything needed could be asked online, that postponing for a couple of months would free up a slot for someone who was sick, and keep me out of a waiting room where I could catch something. They replied in record time with a new appt in June. So depending on your needs and their scheduling (call and ask) postponing might be an option.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa

I had to run to Sam's to pick up an Rx,, I thought I was in a Mad Max movie out in the parking lot, inside the shelves weren't empty but lots of open space

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada

Good advice once again sheepfarmer. One thing for sure is this is gonna get worst before it gets better, once again JMHO but why should it be any different here then other places in the world. I certainly hope all of you and your loved ones come through this unscathed. Good luck my friends and here's to a brighter future.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA

Flip, weigh the cost benefit of that visit...I cancelled a planned routine appt with my primary care physician for next Monday. I wrote on patient portal last weekend that since I was fine, and anything needed could be asked online, that postponing for a couple of months would free up a slot for someone who was sick, and keep me out of a waiting room where I could catch something. They replied in record time with a new appt in June. So depending on your needs and their scheduling (call and ask) postponing might be an option.

It's a CT scan plus I need my monthly 'flush, fill and fragrance (IO port flush).

Status
Not open for further replies.