replacing B7000 clutch trick!

skikir

Equipment
B7000
Mar 31, 2010
Eugene, Oregon
So I had to replace the clutch. Wouldn't release completely anymore. Of course it meant splitting the tractor but I've done it before when the input splines of the drive shaft stripped. That was splitting it at the front of the transmission and pulling the shaft out was easy so I thought I could pull the drive shaft forward to use as a clutch alignment tool when I split it at the bell housing. What was I thinking!! Anyway, I had the clutch out and no clutch alignment too. what to do? I started looking for some thing I could use and just happened on a piece of 1/2" ID copper tubing. The outside diameter looked just right and fit perfectly inside the input shaft bearing and it fit inside the clutch disk splines perfectly! I thought "this is too easy it'll never work." So I fit the clutch disk to the flywheel, centered the disk to the wear marks bolted up the pressure plate, danced and rattled some chicken bones and chanted and started putting it back together. Man was I surprised when it pop right in once I got it aligned. Anyway, B7000 clutch alignment tool available at Home Depot in the plumbing department.

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've used a piece of dowel rod wrapped with black electrical tape until I got the correct dia. Always worked just fine!

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
While the tool certainly makes life easier, making a tool almost as easy, I have always just used a finger. I get the pressure plate attached just enough to keep the friction disk 'in place'. I insert a finger, more the friction disk about until it 'feels centered' and tightened up the pressure plate.
If I worked in a shop and did a lot of the same clutches, I'd pony up for a tool, but doing one a year and they always seem to be different....
If I were doing a big truck with a heavy clutch assy, I'd use a tool for safety. Small tractors, cars, the parts just are not that heavy.

In my youth, I did trans replacements lying on the ground on my back. Heft the trans up, get the pilot shaft in and with my 'free' hand, get a bolt in the bell housing them swing the trans cross member under and a second bolt in that. Ah, the good old days.......