Bx Weight box

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I use my box blade (~300 lbs) throughout the year.

I prefer that for weight over a single-purpose ballast box.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Looking for advice for a 3 pt ballast box for my bx
Thanks
I use the Kubota small ballast box (filled with bagged playground sand) with my B3350. This is the same ballast box recommended for use on the BX.

The ballast box affects maneuverability and storage much less than does a hitch mounted implement.

Be advised that this ballast box does not have an integrated hitch receiver as do many (most/all?) aftermarket boxes. There is a good reason for this but I'll not digress.

Additionally, I find it easier to set the ballast box on a couple of 4X4s when detaching rather than readjusting/repining the lift arms each time I remove/reinstall the rough cut mower.

SDT

rlcotter

Equipment
BX23S Cab;3pt Blade;HLA Snow Pusher;BX Armour;HLA Fork;Ratchet Rake, Snow Edge
Mar 24, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I bought a ballast box in 2015, and I used it at the start, but found out that most attachments on the 3 pt work just as good. It sits in the corner of the garage. You need ballast for sure if you have the FEL, but I personally would not buy it again. I have attachments that I use regularly, and they work just fine. Form me, it was a waste of money.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I dont have much use for many of the rear implements on my small BX and those that I do use would hang out too far behind and cause other inconveniences in my space.

I have the small weight box they make for the b and BX series. I have a bunch of sandbags in there i can just pull out if I ever need and the BX doesnt take a full filled box so it then serves as a carry-all for chains, the chainsaw and whatever else.

Many seem to say go with an implement of equal weight and get dual purpose out of it but that wasnt a great solution for me because the length and compactness of the small BX (i have an 1880) is what really made it desirable to me and even an extra 18-24" length makes a difference in some spots for me.

rlcotter

Equipment
BX23S Cab;3pt Blade;HLA Snow Pusher;BX Armour;HLA Fork;Ratchet Rake, Snow Edge
Mar 24, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I see your point tiktok, makes sense. Everyone has there preferences. I have the backhoe, and it is one quite often, and then the back blade. So just no real need for me, but for others, like yourself it makes perfect sense.

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
I have the weight box too with sandbags. You can load it up heavier, 400 lbs including box, than most implements you would put on the BX. A 400 lb implement would be way to big and cumbersome to have on there all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have the weight box too with sandbags. You can load it up heavier, 400 lbs including box, than most implements you would put on the BX. A 400 lb implement would be way to big and cumbersome to have on there all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agreed.

SDT

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
I will say that I agree that the weight box is better than an implement hanging out back. I have the JD weight box for the 2032r and it still sticks out plenty. On the BX2660 with loader I use an old style 3 point draw bar with 2 cast weights from old Case tractors bolted to both sides which sticks about a foot past the 3 point arms. This helps as I have limited floor space. On the BX2680 with snow blower I have the cab and a quick hitch that I hung a Heavy Hitch weight bar with receiver on it. I can add as many suitcase weights as I need. I have not needed any with the snow blower. I figure the smaller the better as it wont cause damage as quick.

KURTEE

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
The closer the weight is to the rear axle, the more weight you need. The farther back the weight is set, the less you need. So if you are restricted with clearance issues, go close and go heavy.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
The closer the weight is to the rear axle, the more weight you need. The farther back the weight is set, the less you need. So if you are restricted with clearance issues, go close and go heavy.
A "Close & Heavy" design.

About 750Lbs 8"x12"x20" full of lead. Not the most dense I could find but it was way cheaper than gold!

ballast.jpg

BlindBuck

Equipment
B2601
Jan 3, 2020
PA
I have a Kubota ballast box and thought it was a PITA on my 2380. It served basically only one function, and wasn't easily quick hitch compatible, I'd fill it with dirt, rocks, sand, or similar then it was a pain to empty. I recently switched to Heavy Hitch with eight forty pound suitcase weights. It cost more but I am able to use it for various other things. Hauling my trash cans, towing my jet ski, skidding logs (I use a chain from the draw bar mount to prevent it from rising any further than I want it), and it easily works with my QH15. I wish the dealer I bought my tractor from knew about them as it would've saved me money overall.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You leave that much lead laying around this area it might go for a walk. I know there as some bullet casters that would make short work out of 700 pounds of scrap lead. Just sayin

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
You leave that much lead laying around this area it might go for a walk. I know there as some bullet casters that would make short work out of 700 pounds of scrap lead. Just sayin
True that.

If they were smart though, they would wonder WHY I have so much lead laying around. ;)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
One option may be a 3 piece 'carryall' weight box. I built a 'carryall' that uses removable forklift forks. When I need ballast, I backup to a 'skid of weight',lift and go. I drop it off when done. Use the forks to move 'skids of stuff'. Remove the forks and the use the 2" receiver to tow 'things' here and there. While it's more pieces to handle, it's a lot easier for me ,old body can't fo what it used to...

Roadweasel

Equipment
Ferris zTurn, Kubota BX23s
Oct 17, 2019
Lancaster
I have a BX23s and am going to make a weight box for it. What would be a good final weight for a BX. I'm thinking 500 pounds or so. What would you recommend?

miketrock

Nov 25, 2019
Pa
500 would probably be good …. according to a BX23S Brochure the backhoe weighs 607 lbs. ? … so 500 wouldn't be too much.