BX1870 Engine oil filter question

Boatman

Equipment
Kubota L2800, Kubota BX1870
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
I bought this tractor a few weeks ago. Only had 80 hours and it's in perfect condition. The previous owner said he had it serviced at the dealer every 20 hours. Didnt even question that statement and wrote it off as BS. He originally told me he had all the service records and manuals and that turned out to be BS too. Having been around machinery all my life I felt confident after going over ot that it was a good deal. So far its been rock solid and the only issue has been moisture in the instrument panel.

So fast forward to todays oil change. I picked up a couple Kubota oil filters. Drained the oil and pulled the filter to find the installed filter was quite a bit larger than the ones I bought. Just curious if this a standard filter swap?

Attachments

DThrash

Lifetime Member

Equipment
7030SU MX 4700
Sep 29, 2015
Eutaw AL
I bought this tractor a few weeks ago. Only had 80 hours and it's in perfect condition. The previous owner said he had it serviced at the dealer every 20 hours. Didnt even question that statement and wrote it off as BS. He originally told me he had all the service records and manuals and that turned out to be BS too. Having been around machinery all my life I felt confident after going over ot that it was a good deal. So far its been rock solid and the only issue has been moisture in the instrument panel.

So fast forward to todays oil change. I picked up a couple Kubota oil filters. Drained the oil and pulled the filter to find the installed filter was quite a bit larger than the ones I bought. Just curious if this a standard filter swap?
It shows the 32430 is the one that should be on there. He found one that would fit and probably worked ok.

Last edited:

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
"Had the dealer service it every 20 hours". Yeah right lol. What did he do, take it in every couple of weeks and have them grease the zerks?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like he had an "Ace Mechanic" do service on it. :p

Yes it has the wrong filter on it.

I would say it looks like someone did a part # cross and got it wrong.

15841-32430 = HH150-32094

Not the proper HH150-32430

After finding that I would check everything... Heck you might find windshield washer fluid in the radiator. :rolleyes:

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
The local dealer has given me small and large filters interchangeably throughout the years for a G1800 diesel. Same threads, gasket diameter, and bypass PSI. No issues whatsoever using the larger filter.. That said, the dealer could have given him the larger filter because they had it on hand. Much like the Fram PH6607 and the PH9688, it's basically the same filter aside from the size.

I want to say the next size up filter wise has a 3/4-16 thread and is identical to the Fram PH16. You'd know if you had the wrong one.

Dealer service every 20 hours isn't a stretch either. Very doable in 1 season of use.

Last edited:

Boatman

Equipment
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
Thanks,,, I know it was the wrong filter. I guess my question was, is this a typical upgrade for the correct filter. It's a perfect fit. I crossed the filter to other models and it fits a couple L models and a bunch of other machines.

Boatman

Equipment
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
The local dealer has given me small and large filters interchangeably throughout the years for a G1800 diesel. Same threads, gasket diameter, and bypass PSI. No issues whatsoever using the larger filter.. That said, the dealer could have given him the larger filter because they had it on hand. Much like the Fram PH6607 and the PH9688, it's basically the same filter aside from the size.

I want to say the next size up filter wise has a 3/4-16 thread and is identical to the Fram PH16. You'd know if you had the wrong one.

Dealer service every 20 hours isn't a stretch either. Very doable in 1 season of use.
Thanks for the info.

As to the "serviced at the dealer every 20 hours".... I bought the tractor with 80 on the clock. When I pulled the filter it had "40.3, 8-7-2016" scribbled on it. Sooo,,, my skepticism was reinforced.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
Thanks for the info.

As to the "serviced at the dealer every 20 hours".... I bought the tractor with 80 on the clock. When I pulled the filter it had "40.3, 8-7-2016" scribbled on it. Sooo,,, my skepticism was reinforced.
Yeah I think I'd be skeptical too. Very interesting.

As far as an upgrade, I don't think your tractor would care one way or the other filter wise.