Tier 4 emissions on 2014 kubota 4060

willingtonpaul

Equipment
M8560
Feb 17, 2015
willington, ct USA
i just picked up an M8560.....just tier III emissions but the dealer did tell me that the DPF is coming on these machines in the fall.....first region at 13 hours....

Cal270

Equipment
4060 HSTC,LP1258,1672,1860,1672,ballast box,& HermanSupply fel snowplow
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
Humm, interesting post on possibility of DPF coming off...
Also, if your tractor regenerates it sounds like tier 4?

I think Kubota should have a few video's on the Tier 4 tractors, and how it works, if there are any differences between the models of their tractors, and how to operate Tier 4 tractors to minimize regeneration.

What appears to have happen, is that pre-Tier 4 tractor prices and demand has gone up & there is concern on buying a new tractor due to all the emmissions changes.
If this is hurting new tractor sales then Kubota needs to do a better job "marketing" the new technology.

With the above being stated, my 4060 has performed as per the manual.
If I keep the rpm's at 2,200 for non PTO work the PM screen increases very slowly.
Being a newbie compact tractor owner 2,200 rpm seems high for causal work BUT my 20 year old Cub Cadet has a 1,000 hours on it and has been ran at 95% throttle with no problems, and that is on a gasoline engine!!!

As a new Kubota owner I do hope Kubota didn't Rush this new technology & my pricey investment is trouble free.
Time will tell....

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Hi Cal, I agree with your ideas and sent an email to my dealer last night that Kubota should be more proactive regarding the recalls, and should extend the warranty on the engines beyond the first two years free of charge. Their own technical support could not answer my questions about optimal rpm's beyond quoting me the manual (actually incorrectly).

Has your recall kit been installed yet?

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
Hi Cal, I agree with your ideas and sent an email to my dealer last night that Kubota should be more proactive regarding the recalls, and should extend the warranty on the engines beyond the first two years free of charge. Their own technical support could not answer my questions about optimal rpm's beyond quoting me the manual (actually incorrectly).

Has your recall kit been installed yet?
what is said recall kit?

also, am I to understand that these have only a DPF and do not run DEF? I thought the final Tier 4 emissions was DEF.

I see no real purpose as to why agricultural equipment is subjected to something that causes an immense amount of heat and could very likely cause a fire in many places due to dry brush.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
what is said recall kit?

also, am I to understand that these have only a DPF and do not run DEF? I thought the final Tier 4 emissions was DEF.

I see no real purpose as to why agricultural equipment is subjected to something that causes an immense amount of heat and could very likely cause a fire in many places due to dry brush.
The recall kits for some models consists of a change in structure of the breather and the oil separator, and covering of these parts with insulation. It is to solve some kind of freezing problem.

I think the post above meant DEF coming on some tractors this fall.

Cal270

Equipment
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
Just a quick update on how running a series 60 tractor at higher rpm's affects the particulate filter.
Started tractor this am with 83% on PM screen, 20 minutes of warming up it was at 87%. Drove tractor in high gear 5 miles, spent 2 hours clearing snow at my local rifle range I belong too & drove home. Ran rpm's at 2200-2300.
PM screen went down to 52% by the time I got home.
Outside temp was 15F.
I think the bottom line is that Tier 4 tractors need to be ran at higher rpm's to operate efficiently.
The rpm's ran today were still 300-400 below WOT.

Last edited:

Catchad81

Dec 23, 2013
Notasulga, AL
Just a quick update on how running a series 60 tractor at higher rpm's affects the particulate filter.
Started tractor this am with 83% on PM screen, 20 minutes of warming up it was at 87%. Drove tractor in high gear 5 miles, spent 2 hours clearing snow at my local rifle range I belong too & drove home. Ran rpm's at 2200-2300.
PM screen went down to 52% by the time I got home.
Outside temp was 15F.
I think the bottom line is that Tier 4 tractors need to be ran at higher rpm's to operate efficiently.
The rpm's ran today were still 300-400 below WOT.
I have a 7060. How do you make it show the % on the screen?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have a 7060. How do you make it show the % on the screen?
On the 3560 there is a button to the left of the steering wheel labeled "display mode". If you push it briefly and repeatedly it will scroll through 4 or 5 screens, one of which shows a bar graph and a % for the dpf. These should be short presses. If you hold it down, it will allow you to select/change things on that particular display. See your manual, it is kind of complicated without the pictures.

Cal270

Equipment
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
Regenerated at 150 hours. This is 54 hours since last regen.
There was some road time in high gear at 2200-2300rpm, which always seem to reduce the PM % screen considerably.
When doing light work keeping rpm's at 2000-2200. More if running pto.

One note, the cold weather crankcase breather was completed this week, a recall item on this tractor.

Fuel usage is still .6 gal per hour, which I think is phenomenal for a tractor of this size.

Retired Iron Peddler

Equipment
GL5460 HSTC, LA1023 Loader, Land Pride 1072 Grapple, RTV 900
Jun 18, 2014
Mount Pleasant, TX
what is said recall kit?

DPF and DEF are used for two different results in altering diesel engine exhaust emissions. DPF is an exhaust filter that removes and collects soot. The regeneration cycle is necessary to burn off the collected soot. Regeneration is accomplished in two ways, active and passive. Active regeneration occurs when the additional fuel is added to the exhaust stream to increase the exhaust temperature to burn off the soot. Passive regeneration occurs when the engine is run above a certain RPM under adequate load to increase the exhaust temperature to effectively burn off the collected soot in the DPF.

Tier 4 engines can use either Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) to reduce NOx or DEF to reduce NOx. DEF is injected inside a hot catalytic converter to convert NOx to nitrogen and water vapor. EGR injects a small amount of exhaust gas into the engine intake to reduce the combustion temperature which lowers the amount of NOx emitted. Some diesel engines utilize cooled EGR to further reduce NOx.

In summary, DPF and DEF are two separate emission devices and not necessarily both are required. A few diesel engines can meet the NOx requirements without the use of either EGR or using DEF.

With my L5460 Tier 4 tractor with a horizontal exhaust system, the end of the tailpipe has a venturi on it which adds cooler ambient air to the exhaust stream and is designed eliminate any potential of starting fires in dry grass. Tractors with vertical exhaust systems don't need this device since the exhaust stream is away from dry grass. I've used my tractor mowing dry pasture grass as well in hay meadows running along windrows of dry hay while the engine is undergoing a regeneration cycle without causing a fire. From my experience, DPF causing fires in just another internet myth.

Bill

Last edited:

Cal270

Equipment
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
Regenerate at 193 hours.
That's 43 hours since last regeneration.
Took 12 minutes to go thru the process.
Moderate use since last regen.
Keep rpm's up to 2100-2200 for general work and higher if running pto.
Do run 5-7 minutes every time on start up until temp gauge rises.
***128668;

chuckwow1

Equipment
L4060
Aug 11, 2015
nowthen, mn
Cal270
Thank you for the detailed observations. I am expecting delivery on a L4060 soon and your experience is a huge help in setting expectations about usage RPM and regen.

Cal270

Equipment
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
Regenerated at 231 hours today.
Took 14 minutes at 2300 rpm.

Still can't believe how much quieter the hydrolics are since the major service at 213 hours. No longer have the annoying hydro whine...

Very mild winter in mid-Michigan...not much snow plowing time this winter.

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
One problem with the tier 4 technology is that most tractor manufacturers have their own system. There isn't one proven technology yet. Most patent their system so we just have to wait and see which one is the winner. We "the user" are part of their research and development department... Problems, annoyances and added cost of a new tractor aside, I just wonder what these systems will cost to fix down the road...

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
One problem with the tier 4 technology is that most tractor manufacturers have their own system. There isn't one proven technology yet. Most patent their system so we just have to wait and see which one is the winner. We "the user" are part of their research and development department... Problems, annoyances and added cost of a new tractor aside, I just wonder what these systems will cost to fix down the road...
What? The 'technology' has been around long enough I can buy DEF from the pump at a station.

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
What? The 'technology' has been around long enough I can buy DEF from the pump at a station.
The tractor systems don't all use DEF. Each system is unique to the individual companies. Not all will be good. Speaking broadly, not just Kubota focused, anytime you put new technology parts on a older engine not designed for it, there always will be problems...

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Yep, DEF at the pump at some of the newer stations around here.

I find it interesting the number of different strategies Kubota has used and is planning. DEF, DPF filters, turbo and turbointercooled, and computer controlled injection that gives more than one fuel injection per stroke, etc. (not all in the same tractor). Re-design of glow plug chamber in some.

The good news is almost all of them are in trucks, and so some of the bugs MAY be worked out. As far as putting the add-ons on old platforms, if what you mean old engine designs, that isn't what they did in most tractors. They are really different engines and injection systems too. That said, what will happen after the 5yr warranty runs out is anybody's guess.

Cal270

Equipment
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
7/23/2016
Regen at 279 hours.
Took 12 minutes, just kept move and leveling stone.
Fairly seamless. Had rpm's at 2250 when "working" and screen did not indicate an increase in rpm for regen.
48 hours since last regen...
***128526;
***128668;

Cal270

Equipment
Jun 23, 2014
Mid-Michigan
Regenerated at 326 hours.
Took 12 minutes at 2300 rpm
Mild winter in Mid-Michigan...only plowed 4 times...so sad...