1997 R520 Sometimes Won't Move

biggin60

Oct 12, 2011
Tiffin, Ohio
I have a 1997 r520 loader that sometimes will not move when put into forward or reverse. Occasionally turning the engine off and restarting will solve the problem. Loader still lifts and moves side to side with no issues. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Re: !997 R520 Sometimes Won't Move

I don't have a clue how that thing works. It looks like some sort of electronically controlled hydrostatic transmission with two separate pumps and a very complicated set of valves and plumbing. Check the fluid lever, maybe check for broken off sensors but beyond that I can't be of much help.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA

Did you ever find out what the issue was? I have one doing the same thing.
He's only posted twice, a question each time about R520, and never a follow-up. You'd prolly do better to start a new thread. Provide plenty of details; as of now this thread has been read almost 550 times, with only one suggestion, and two ancillary commenters (you and me).

Swelly

Mar 13, 2015
Anchorage, AK

He's only posted twice, a question each time about R520, and never a follow-up. You'd prolly do better to start a new thread. Provide plenty of details; as of now this thread has been read almost 550 times, with only one suggestion, and two ancillary commenters (you and me).

Appreciate the feed back. I think we finally figured it out last evening after several hours of testing and diag. Looks like the wiring harness, that is in the steering console has a bad wire in it. Took hours but tested every wire in it, but finally found the broken one.

Thanks again.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

If you click on his name in orange there is a link to email him.
This is more of a reference for future use as you have it figured out.

Swelly

Mar 13, 2015
Anchorage, AK

I did try to email him with no luck.

We've been working on this thing in our shop for what seems to be forever.

The harness was available out of the CA warehouse, so I must not be the only one.

It will be on it's way back home to the customer Monday or Tuesday. Thankfully we have had a less than normal winter and the customer has not been with out it, in time of dire need.

h2oford

Equipment
R420
Apr 24, 2016
Saddle River,NJ,USA

Have an R420 with the same issue. Initially it would require a warm up and then get going. And sometime would need to turn off and try again and it would work. But very inconsistent which to me would indicates a relay going bad but can't seem to find one that controls the forward/ reverse engagement. Also sometimes I would be riding along and boom the ebrake would engage and stop the tractor. Wait a few minutes and then it would go again. I found one wire broken in the wiring harness up by the steering column and fixed it but that didn't help. I guess could be others with insulation intact but not wire. Will check some more but it is really driving me crazy. Anyone pinned anything down on this? Would love some help.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

h20ford -

Hate to say it, but most of us guys have tractors or TLB. While some of us know much about tractors, the loaders are a whole different deal, except for the engines.

It sounds like you're chasing a spooky electrical issue. There's an intermittent short and/or bad ground/connection. Nothing but diagnostics can fix that.

I would try starting with this, they do have diagrams for the R420:

http://www.kubota.com/part/partsList.aspx

You may also want to get a Workshop Manual, if you don't already have one.

Maybe someone with experience with your machine will chime in.

Best of luck, wish I could have helped.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

Does your loader have a parking break safety switch?

Or a position switch for the gear shift?

These are usually found on equipment with electric shift transmission. Not sure of the propper name :eek: Our forklift at work will not engage forward or reverse if the parking brake is engaged. You can move the forward/ reverse lever, but the unit will stay in neutral. Switch is getting hinky, so usually we have to move the parking brake lever a couple times in order to get the forklift to engage forward or reverse. The forklift also has a seat sensor. If you raise off the seat it will kick the forklift into neutral. In order to get it to move again, you need to move the forward reverse lever back to neutral and then back to the direction you were going.

I've also come across it in some loaders, boom forklifts, and backhoes where they have a rocker switch to engage the parking brake.

So basically what I'm saying, is there is probably some safety switch giving you fits or relay going bad.

alfamia

Equipment
R520, L185 (sold), B7200 (sold), and an Economy!
Oct 3, 2017
Norfolk, CT

Problem SOLVED!! Stray wire disconnected (broken) feeding hydraulic solenoid slightly to rear of steering column. This connection seems susceptible to damage in brushy and rocky conditions. Easy fix that took forever to find. Great machine!!:)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA

I have a 1997 r520 loader that sometimes will not move when put into forward or reverse. Occasionally turning the engine off and restarting will solve the problem. Loader still lifts and moves side to side with no issues. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
1997, maybe it's tired.....:eek:

NSR

Equipment
25 year certificated Kubota mechanic
Sep 27, 2019
Tower City PA US

I would start with a new parking brake switch. I have a customer that has a R420 and that fixed his

Mtnman55

Equipment
R-510
Apr 1, 2020
Bailey, CO, USA
Sorry on resurrecting an old topic. But have an old R-510, that has a similar problem. However the LST light comes on after it warms and doesn't want to travel in reverse. We had to replace the drive coupler 1 1/2 years ago and everything has been just fine. Changed all the filters, oil etc. Have checked hoses for air leaks as well. So not sure if anyone is familiar with these as I have been through Canada, Japan etc trying to find the problem resolution with no real answers. Guessing the mechanics that know these are no longer working, or these babies rarely have problems.
Thanks