Too much oil!

Piper59

Equipment
L2501 w fel,howse 5ft.bush hog,howse 5ft.bb,piranha TB,MTL Grapple, Titan forks
Aug 21, 2019
Orangefield,Tx.
I have an L2501 that I've had for a little over a year. When tropical storm Imelda hit here I left my tractor at the highest point of my land. After the water level went down I checked it out.No water in the oil. Had a friend come over and he went through it completely. So I started it up and actually used it for several days to move my gutted home materials to the road for pick up.Finally the starter seized so I had my dealer pick up.They replaced the starter and all fluids,filters and brought it back to me about a month later.Was going to do a job for a friend so was checking fluid levels. My motor oil ended up being two and a half quarts over the full mark.So even if the dealer changes your fluids make sure you check them yourself afterwards. Musta had a gopher changing them out.Lesson learned on my part and yes I drained it out.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
This has been true forever... I ALWAYS check my vehicles after a shop has worked on them. I cannot tell you how many times I have found issues like overfilled oil or missing hoseclamps.

bxray

Equipment
Bx25d
Dec 1, 2014
Cleveland, ohio
My friend just had his van oil changed and one of those boy***8217;s places.
Left and turned on the freeway and all of a sudden it ran horrific!
Towed it to the dealer and it turns out they forgot to drain the old oil out!
I have a company van and take it in and they always shows the dipstick and now the bay cameras are on display.

Ray

Last edited:

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
I would certainly call the dealer and let them know. That is a shame because there is no excuse for it. Even if the mechanic was somehow is confused and put the wrong number of quarts in, he would catch his mistake afterwards when he checked the level with the dipstick. Unfortunately it is not uncommon which is sad especially considering how much they charge per hour for labor.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
coulda been a lot of things.

One thing that goes back to my gripe with the jinglish service manuals and parts books is that the capacities are mostly wrong. M9540 shows to take 12 quarts. Wrong. Takes a little over 13. I personally don't even look at them anymore, just drain, then refill until slightly below the high line on the stick. Start engine, run it about 30 seconds & check for leaks after shutting it down. Then after letting it sit about 20 minutes to allow for puddling to drain back, check and refill as needed until the level is barely below the high line.

If one adds the oil to the full mark then starts the engine, shuts it down & immediately checks it, yeah it's gonna show low because a good bit of oil is stuck up in the top of the head, stuck to the block, stuck to the front cover, etc. So usually they'll be in a rush (normally because they are on the clock and don't need to charge anyone 45 min of labor, aka .75hr for a simple oil change), so they'll add it to the top line and call it good-and later on it'll show over full after it sits a while.

Lastly, the oil leve must be checked on level ground only. If tilted even slightly, it'll affect the reading on the stick. Tilted meaning side to side or front to rear; it has to be level! Yeah I learned that the hard way too. Learned that our shop floor was nowhere near level....

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You might want to keep and eye on the level, if it's blown the seal on the hydraulic pump, it will move hydraulic fluid into the engine oil making it over fill.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
The owners manual says she holds 6 quarts, but really holds around 4.5. Not an excuse for not checking the oil after the job though.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
been a little while since I've done one but I think I remember them being a little over 5 quarts including filter.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I heard of several times people only drained one side of the pan thinking it could be drained from either side. Maybe that's how it ended up being over filled.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
For decades I always changed my own oil because 1- I needed to save the money and 2- I preferred my own workmanship. I still fee the same way about item #2.

But as I’ve aged I’ve enjoyed letting WalMart change my oil because they’ll do the basic no-frills change for $19.98 while I shop in the store.

Been doing it that way for about 4 years now.

Then, recently needed to leave in the early-AM on a trip and recalling that I was due a change...and having all the stuff in the shop... I pulled the truck up to the front and got underneath to drain it and... COULD NOT REMOVE THE DRAIN PLUG!

It had Blue Lock-Tite smeared all over it! I tried using a 20” pipe wrench on it and it WOULD NOT BUDGE!

Took it to WalMart next day (cancelling my trip) and they refused to make it right because they said they NEVER use the drain plug...they EXTRACT the oil with a pump/hose inserted down the dipstick tube.
I’m going to have to completely replace the oil pan to make the repair.

I also keep meticulous maintenance records. I gathered up my logbook and receipts and went back to WalMart and presented them to the Auto Dept Mgr and showed him that ONLY WALMART had changed my oil since the last time I DID which was four years ago.... clearly I DID IT USING THE DRAIN PLUG and ONLY WALMART HAS DONE IT SINCE. I was pretty determined to get WalMart to make things right.

He finally did some research into WalMart’s computer system...and GUESS WHAT?
HE FOUND which WalMart did this! Over three years ago, a WalMart in Sandy UT (subdivision of Salt Lake) actually EXTRACTED the oil... with the previous oil change being made on the SAME VACATION TRIP in Texarkana, AR..... who had DRAINED IT using the drain plug.

POINT: WalMart keeps records and was able to discover exactly which store which technician applied LOCK-TITE to my oil drain.

(PIzzed off because he could have done that research when I first made my complaint, but he was hoping I’d go away and not come back.)

I must wait until WalMart’s “Risk Dept” sends me a reimbursement check for $601 my local shop charged to replace my oil pan... BUT THEY ARE NOT GETTING AWAY WITH altering my vehicle without my permission.

Bassards!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My son worked at Wally when he was a teen in the lube dept. He said he'll never take anything to Walmart for any kind of service and that includes tires. Enough said for me.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
I heard of several times people only drained one side of the pan thinking it could be drained from either side. Maybe that's how it ended up being over filled.

Good chance this is what they did. When I drained mine most, probably 4-5 qts came out of the first plug removed with a quart or so more coming from the other side.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
At one time I took my truck to Wally World for service. It was a GMC 2500 HD with 10 ply tires. I went to pay for the service on my truck and they gave me a check list of everything that was done on my truck. Oil check,filter check, lube check, etc, and then it showed the air in each tire at 32psi. I did not even go to the truck I just looked at the clerk and said I want the manager to come here.

After waiting almost 1/2 hour the sob came out of hiding. I looked at him and said, "You owe me 4 new tires." He said there was noway he would be responsible for new tires. I said if you drove my truck out of the shop on 4 flat tires I wanted new ones. My 10 ply tires run at 80 psi.

Long story short the tire were in the 50-60 psi range and not one grease fitting had been cleaned off or lubed. I ended up getting my money back.

I have not been back to Wally World for auto service since.

Piper59

Equipment
Aug 21, 2019
Orangefield,Tx.
That would be a good explanation but from the dealer? If thats the case they need to do some training over there.

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
Walmart and i'm sure Kubota Dealerships put the low man on lube services. Poor guy probably had no training. As long as i'm physically able i will do my own service.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Walmart and i'm sure Kubota Dealerships put the low man on lube services. Poor guy probably had no training. As long as i'm physically able i will do my own service.
Most places, that's the entry level position, 1 step above sweeping the floor and hauling out the trash.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Unfortunately thats so true, extends to the auto dealer world as well.

Piper59

Equipment
Aug 21, 2019
Orangefield,Tx.
I do my own as well.Id just changed all fluids, filters, etc. 16 hrs.prior to them taking it.Insurance made them replace everything along with the starter.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
One of the early jobs I had as a young adult...was OBSERVING oil changes in-progress... because the Exxon Service-Station ...(yes...it was a SERVICE station...NOT a “filling station” ...per the owner’s definition, Mr. Uresti)...did not want “inexperienced” new-hires doing such work. It took 3 months before I was allowed to do oil and lube jobs under direct supervision, despite the fact I’d been doing exactly that same work at a new-car Toyota dealership for over a year previously.

Just sayin’... not all employers are careless.