Removing BH77 from L3800, one pin hard to pull

DaveMueller

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST TLB, LA524, BH77, Ford 917L
Apr 16, 2019
Mill Run
I've only removed my BH77 a few times, but it's never as easy as it should be.
The left side pin is easy to remove and replace, but I always struggle with the right side. This is on a very flat and smooth concrete garage floor.

Is there a chance something's bent?

Please type your answers from at least 6 feet away :)

Thanks
Dave

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
You may want to sand lap that side a little, not the pin and use some good lube. I had the same problem with my BH92 when I first got it. Also play around with the outriggers a little to get a better alignment.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Chances are there’s a slight mis-match in the mounting-holes. Try removing the other pin first. If that doesn’t work, try removing the pins with the BH in a slightly different position (Blocked off the floor an inch, off to one side, etc)
When you finally get it removed, take a close look THRU the holes to see which is mis-aligned and use a file or Dremel to open it up a shade.
Take the pins over to the bench grinder and chamfer the end so it can insert easier...once it starts-in, it will go easier each time as they wear-to-each-other.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
What I do is move the boom up or down slightly while pulling on the pin, you will find the spot where the weight is off the pin and it will come out. I think its from the subframe brackets not being perfectly square to each other.

Flip, I doubt he wants to pull the tire off everytime. Would be the only way to get a hammer in there...

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
What I do is move the boom up or down slightly while pulling on the pin, you will find the spot where the weight is off the pin and it will come out. I think its from the subframe brackets not being perfectly square to each other.

Flip, I doubt he wants to pull the tire off everytime. Would be the only way to get a hammer in there...
This right here...gotta wiggle things on mine a small amount to free up the pins. I leave the hydraulics connected until I get it folded up on the cradle I built for it. Once positioned properly, I fold up the outriggers and then disconnect the hydraulics.

DaveMueller

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 16, 2019
Mill Run
Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll check the holes in the bh with a pipe next time I have it off to see if they're true to each other. Maybe someday in the summer I'll pull the tires and do the same with the holes on the subframe.

In either case, I just finished a really cool dolly for the bh from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I--ztQj5EPs

Harbor Freight had 4" 330 pound swivel casters on sale so I used 4 of them. They were a little tall so I routed a recess in the bottom for each caster. I also put a piece of stall mat at each contact point on top so the 4x6 doesn't get chipped away.

gkk2001

Equipment
F3680, L3800 HST
Aug 14, 2011
Central GA, USA
I have the exact same equipment and learned much from these answers.
I do not have a pin removal issue but like others have said, there seems to be a sweet spot on which the pins will come out. I.e. weight removed from the pin requires finesse to find them. I like the idea of light sanding and greasing well.
Alignment, that is another issue that hopefully can be adjusted depending. Please keep us posted on what you find.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
The right pin on my BH77 connecting to my B2650 has also been very sticky, too, since tractor and BH new. Fiddling with the boom and outriggers did very little to improve putting it in or out. I filed the pin chamfer end AND round filed the inside of the mount hole, and lubed, helped slightly, but it still is no where near as easy to do as the left pin. It's a factory alignment issue imo. Can live with it, at least know what to expect whenever the BH goes on or off.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Is it worth trying to reposition the mounting assembly (Subframe) on the tractor?

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
Is it worth trying to reposition the mounting assembly (Subframe) on the tractor?
I guess that could help, but otherer than loosening and moving the subframe around slightly on its bolt clearances, if the mount pin hole is out of alignment because of its weld position (slightly twisted? Which is what I suspect), then it probably won't help.

DaveMueller

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 16, 2019
Mill Run
I peeked with an inspection mirror last time, it almost looks like a fore/aft misalignment than up/down, so no amount of nudging the outriggers will matter. If I only had a 5' long reamer...

I believe I have the factory manual which hopefully shows installation of the subframe. One of these days I'll dig it up and see if there is any mention of alignment.

If I ever fix it I'll post back for posterity.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
I peeked with an inspection mirror last time, it almost looks like a fore/aft misalignment than up/down, so no amount of nudging the outriggers will matter. If I only had a 5' long reamer...

I believe I have the factory manual which hopefully shows installation of the subframe. One of these days I'll dig it up and see if there is any mention of alignment.

Thanks! If alignment is not too involved, I'll try it. It really slows down swapping in/out the BH with that one sticky pin.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

I have the install manual. I don’t recall seeing an alignment procedure, but I could very well be wrong. I’m a man, did my own subframe install, I don’t need no stinking manual :D

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I did go through the subframe installation manual and did not see any mention of alignment.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

Downriggers shouldnt be down until the top pins are out. They are only used to pick the hoe up out of the subframe.