B7000 Steering box

kaze

Premium Member

Equipment
Kubota B7000 Cub Cadet 1782 Cub Cadet 78D York Three point rake Woods RM 400 mo
Tried to rebuild a worn out box. Got a new steering shaft from Greece. Same measurements as the old one. Turned out the new shaft and one bearing were wrong. All the seals they sent were wrong.
Went to Applied Technologies; They called ngk ordered one bearing and used the old seals to order new ones. One seal on the pitman was not available but the same size only 1mm shorter in height was available. Parts came in. Found out the steering shaft would not seat on the box: a 1.20mm gap between the column and the box. Tried the old shaft The column would seat on the box but it still had1.10mm up and down play in the shaft. Then found out the bearing race on the new shaft was cut 1.00 mm longer than the old one. Trying to fudge it I used fiber gasket material to make shims and still have a good feel for the bearings to have some preload. Bad part when doing all the fit and try found out the bearing races would fall out of the top column seating for the bearing and the same with the one in the bottom. Well dummy put in the new seals adusted the preload on the rack to the gear. Centered left and right. marked the pitman arm and in the tractor we go. and hour later jacked up the front axle Left and right both between center were just about even. Between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 turns left and right.
then left the tractor down. Turn right no problem full turn. Start to turn left and large crack in g noise. play then it turns left. Even tried to adjust the stops on the front balls to take out the hard right. Still large crack and it must be the bearing races jumping from pressure. Backed off on the pitman gear and no difference. I had tried to center punch the column where the bearing race sits and the bottom where the race sits. Even put jb weld on the outside of the races to the colum and base of the box to try and keep them from turning. There was not that much pressure on the bearings when put together but something is shifting in there. there is no side play in the pitman gear. // Anyone know of a replacement box that would fit a 4 wheel drive b700 as for parts a B7100 seals and shims do not fit. Joe

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That is one heck of an odd model:

Post some pictures of the box and some of the size of the top flange, I might be able to compare it to a B7100 box.

kaze

Premium Member

Equipment
Kubota B7000 Cub Cadet 1782 Cub Cadet 78D York Three point rake Woods RM 400 mo
Finally got the steering done and the tractor out of the garage and the car in just before the bad rains and winds hit here.
A fellow posted on facebook marketplace kubota parts for sale.
Met him a little less than half way. Said it was off of a B7100 straight arm on the pitman shaft. and the side cover for the shaft had the three bolt pattern the gasket I ordered for the B7100. Felt smooth and a good steering wheel and even a cap. Great price. Then the bad part. I could not get the Steering wheel off. heat big puller with a bolt that holds the two arms together. Would not budge it. Worked on this for a week pb blaster even tried heat but the inside liked to start to flame. Gave up on that cut off the dash mounting bracket and got it welded to the column so the hood and dash were in the same place as the original steering box. The old box had a four bolt pattern at the adjuster side. Works great. The Gentleman even offered me a good price on a set of wheels 16" and rice ag tires. Was afraid they would really tear up the yard. Passed but still would like to have them. Why I do not know. It is starting to be and adiction.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Good call that's what I would have done with the steering!