Health and Safety

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
yeah I got a suggestion. Park your hay spear in such a way that it's impossible to become impaled. Friend of mine and I were riding 3 wheelers way back in the 1980's and she didn't follow me all the way home, so I turned back to see where she was at and found her as a victim. I found her unconscious impaled, ran right into a 3ph spear, went in under her left eye and out the back right side. She recovered and is doing as good as can be but not the same. We are still friends although with me moving 750 miles away we don't get to stay in touch often. She still works on the farm with her brothers; well as much as she can. We are the same age to the day, at the time of the accident I think we were 11. She don't really remember how she got in the situation; based on what I saw of the tracks looked like she come around the curve in the trail a little too fast and of course on a 3 wheeler you can't just whip them around; they get kinda crazy. Probably got crazy and lost control right into the back of the tractor.

Another friend (male friend) lost a good chunk of the right hand while hooking up a 3ph shredder. Wouldn't quite line up, then shifted, while the hand was between the 3ph lower link and the shredder.

Guy I used to work with couldn't get the top link lined up properly on a shredder, stuck a finger in there to "feel" it, it shifted, lopped the end of the finger plum off. I mean clean cut. No saving it either; so he's running around with 9 3/4 digits. At least he can laugh it off now. 1/4 short of 10 fingers.

so yeah tractors and equipment can be real dangerous. Y'all be careful out there.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
36 hours without anything other than Aleve, so I believe that I am past the pain. Vertigo yesterday but Benadryl seems to have cured that. It's now just sit and wait (bored) until my Dr. appointment on the 2nd. :rolleyes:

One handed typing and wrong handed wiping. :mad:
Consider yourself lucky, at least you can wipe. After they took me apart, for the following month my wife had to wipe me and there was very little typing either. I give lots of kudo's to Amy but I'd do the same for her. What marriage is all about.... and... I became very familiar with paper underwear too.:D

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I've seen some gruesome ones working in the steel industry. There aren't any 'little accidents'. Most are fatal. I saw a young guy get flattened by a slit coil of steel (a slit coil is part of a steel coil that has been sheared off or 'slit' in a continuous length and banded up). Stamping houses stamp that slit coil into metal parts. Used to haul them, 104,000 pounds at a time.

Anyway, a slit coil weighing about 15,000 pounds fell over on a plant employee while he was walking by and believe me, it was just like squeezing toothpaste out of a toothpaste tube only a different color.

Saw another employee get 'pinched' between a C hook (which is what you move steel coils around with and another coil. It didn't kill him but he never worked a day again.

Both were young, in their 20's.

Last 5 years I was there, I worked at the company's Freightliner dealership. Much safer place but I did see one mechanic removing a transmission from a road tractor and it slipped off the cradle, slid sideways and crushed his arm. We had to get the transmission off him while the EMS was there and him screaming the whole time.... Not pretty.

Better than getting crushed though.

I think about that stuff every time I get in one of my tractors and hook up a bat wing mower, or a round baler or a disc machine. they can all kill you in a heartbeat. Machines have no feelings, they are nothing more than machines. it's the operator that makes them operate safely..... or not.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
My shoulder stitches come out today and I will ask the surgeon whether I can work one armed. LINK I know that I am too flipping ole to still be working but my portable sawmill business pays for fun.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Well the stitches came out but the groundhog surgeon must have seen his shadow. I have to complete my six weeks with the shoulder in a sling.

He said that I could saw if it could be done with one arm. Absolutely no lifting nor pushing with my right arm. I will give it a go Thursday & Friday.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Little Brother had his shoulder replaced, not a fun deal and he as well had to have it in a sling for several weeks as well, the PT was a PIA but for once he followed what the Doc told him to do. And it is much better, though limited he at least has mobility. So do what the man says, it is in your best interest :D

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Well the stitches came out but the groundhog surgeon must have seen his shadow. I have to complete my six weeks with the shoulder in a sling.

He said that I could saw if it could be done with one arm. Absolutely no lifting nor pushing with my right arm. I will give it a go Thursday & Friday.
MagicMan,

I hope you are,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwYV4H9rU6o

It is hard to tell a guy to take it easy while also work it as hard as he can, but I think you get what I mean? The PT is critical, it is hard as hell just to get back to where you were.

I had a recovery years ago and the therapist would push me past pain. I would complain and she just said, "suck it up. I am just trying to get you back to the way you were before. If you don't work it now, it will never come back".

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan

You've been around this forum long enough to know that a bunch of us are safety conscious. Your balance with an arm in a sling is not as good as without. You are planning to be around equipment that is dangerous. I can think of a bunch of scenarios where you might be tempted or need to stick out that injured arm to catch yourself or something else, and there you go. Or catch that sling in something. I vote for your letting it heal a while longer. The sawing will wait.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Thanks, balance is certainly always a concern, and of course you are correct. The picture is "tongue in cheek" but I really do appreciate your concern.

I will have to share a few picture of my sawmill and sawing operation. The good thing is that I have an operator's seat so I am sitting at a control panel while I am sawing.

Attachments

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Ah so, that is reassuring. The guy that brought a rig over to saw some logs for me was managing everything from the ground. And then there was the board stacking. :eek:

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
"PPE", as in Personal Protective Equipment. Mine includes gloves, hard (steel) toe boots, hearing, helmet, and safety glasses. Now that my eyes don't see as well as they once did, I wear these: LINK. The amber with UV protection is good but mine also include the 1.5 bifocal window at the bottom.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I had my 6 week follow up NP visit today and he told me that the shoulder recovery was progressing well enough that I could ditch the sling and do whatever work that I felt like doing, just don't go crazy.

I have sawmilling scheduled for tomorrow. :D

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I am doing the prescribed lifting and pulling exercises three times per day and it's working because I am now within 2" of raising the repaired arm as high as the other. Small gains, but I am well pleased.

I seldom even think about the total knee replacement that was done in November. ;)

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I am doing the prescribed lifting and pulling exercises three times per day and it's working because I am now within 2" of raising the repaired arm as high as the other. Small gains, but I am well pleased.

I seldom even think about the total knee replacement that was done in November. ;)
Hey Magicman.. how's everything going with your shoulder, back to almost normal I hope! I'm scheduled for May 17th and not looking forward to the down time.

I read through your thread hoping to find some tips. I found the one North Idaho Wolfman posted about the elastic waistband's to be very helpful! The socks.. yeah I've thought of that too.. frustrating just thinking of ththings!

I hope I wake up in as good of a mood as you did!🥴

One more thing.. I watched your video of the sawmill.. very cool! I was just talking to my buddy yesterday that I don't see much. Come to find out he's got one 1995 he said it doesn't have the hydraulics but he loves that thing. Looks similar to yours, I know nothing about them but looks like it would be a enjoyable Job/Project/Hobby.

Attachments

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I was actually excused from my physical therapy because of my sawing I had already met all of the movement requirements. Now I never even think about the shoulder nor the knee.

I am still sawmilling big time having already sawn over 64 thousand board feet this year. I have sawn over 13 thousand on the job that I am now sawing and.....

IMG_2107.JPG

here is a picture of some of the over 14 thousand waiting for me on the next job. The old man is busy. ;)

Reactions: 2 users