Amazon delivery drivers........?

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
If I owned a restaurant, there would be a sign on the door prohibiting pajamas, flip flops and shirts or hats with vulgar expressions on them.
As an owner of a business you have every right to choose how your employees dress and who you serve. If they are instructed to wear uniforms like UPS and FedEX Drivers then by all means they should.

I think the flip flop opinion is kind of on the edge but if it is your business it is your rules. I have walked into many stores and restaurants wearing flip flops in the middle of the summer. Once because I needed to buy spark plugs for the boat and was literally headed to the water, and many other times because it was summer and I was wearing shorts.

Should people have more care in how they dress sure. But let's not act like everyone in the past all wore their uniforms and/or suit and tie. People dressing like slobs have been around forever and I doubt that there has been much of an increase in the number of people publicly dressing like this.

If they show up to work in pajamas and their job is delivering packages to your house by all means you can complain to their employer but if they aren't breaking any company rules and they are ok being that way in public they aren't hurting anybody (except their employer if you stop buying from them because of it). Let's be honest though, the number of people who will stop buying from Amazon because the person delivering their package was in pajamas is probably under 100 due to the shear convenience of ordering something and it showing up a couple days later.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
To me it's back to that pride in yourself. I was taught you go out dressed in clean clothes and comb your hair. It didn't matter if my clothes were old & not new but show you are a human being.
True story about poor but proud of ones self. I had the good fortune to know a guy that really had it bad growing up. Both parents abuseive and mean. When young his so called father beat him up constantly. About age 12 he got a job at a local gas station and the owner let him have a key. Every school day him & his younger brother walked to school and stopped at the station to use the washing machine/dryer. They washed & wore the only clothes they had every day to go to school. He got on up to where he could play football and thanks to sports got big fast and one day the ole man in one of his drunken rages started to take a punch , mistake on his part. He never hit his sons again. My friend grew into a fine man but it took him a long time to outrun the demons of his youth . Our families were having a BBQ on the patio one day and he told me while watching all the kids playing in the yard, " I never imagined life this good " . Why I see all these pajama folks the way I do.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
To me it's back to that pride in yourself. I was taught you go out dressed in clean clothes and comb your hair. It didn't matter if my clothes were old & not new but show you are a human being.
True story about poor but proud of ones self. I had the good fortune to know a guy that really had it bad growing up. Both parents abuseive and mean. When young his so called father beat him up constantly. About age 12 he got a job at a local gas station and the owner let him have a key. Every school day him & his younger brother walked to school and stopped at the station to use the washing machine/dryer. They washed & wore the only clothes they had every day to go to school. He got on up to where he could play football and thanks to sports got big fast and one day the ole man in one of his drunken rages started to take a punch , mistake on his part. He never hit his sons again. My friend grew into a fine man but it took him a long time to outrun the demons of his youth . Our families were having a BBQ on the patio one day and he told me while watching all the kids playing in the yard, " I never imagined life this good " . Why I see all these pajama folks the way I do.
This comes back to not knowing what other people are going through or have gone through in their lives. Maybe the person does have a house and clothes but are locked into a debilitating depression where it takes all their fight to get up in the morning and do their jobs, let alone care about how they look. Maybe they work 3rd shift and deliver packages in the morning before they go to bed and they woke up and realized they forgot one and rushed out of the house to get it delivered.

I sit in the spot where it is not my place to judge because I don't know their life, what they are going through, what they have or don't have. I'll admit that I fail sometimes when I see someone using a scooter at a store that doesn't have anything outwardly looking wrong with them. But then I have to remind myself when a family member had emergency knee surgery, and then went on a vacation that had been planned and paid for for 6 months and had to use one of the scooters because they couldn't walk around for long stretches. From looking at them sitting on the scooter you couldn't tell they had just had surgery.

I myself have had to rush to a tire shop to get the front tire from my tractor patched and the place was closing in 30 minutes and I needed the tractor first thing in the morning so I showed up in torn up jeans and a dirty and stained T-shirt with a torn up ball cap. I sure didn't feel comfortable that way but the circumstances demanded it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I look on the brighter side of things!

Boyfriend / Husband needed / wanted the company and she just jumped in for the ride.

I wouldn't be offended in the slightest if I got a delivery like that, People are going to do anything they can to get through this! ;)

Last edited:

KTuk4J

Equipment
B2650 Duetz Allis 6275 CAT D6 CAT 110B
Mar 2, 2020
NW OR
Continued lowering of our standards will only result in a continued degradation to our society. Period.

There is little argument to that which would make sense.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Continued lowering of our standards will only result in a continued degradation to our society. Period.

There is little argument to that which would make sense.
But we aren't lowering standards. The fact of the matter is there have been people dressing like this forever, Albert Einstein wouldn't ever comb his hair, the stereotypical fat guy in a stained wife beater and crappy jeans. Acting like everyone should be wearing a 3 piece suit to hand over a box of tissues is ridiculous.

Don't go imposing your standards on others unless you employ them, are their parent, or it is your job to do so (teachers, parole officers, etc.).

KTuk4J

Equipment
Mar 2, 2020
NW OR
But we aren't lowering standards. The fact of the matter is there have been people dressing like this forever, Albert Einstein wouldn't ever comb his hair, the stereotypical fat guy in a stained wife beater and crappy jeans. Acting like everyone should be wearing a 3 piece suit to hand over a box of tissues is ridiculous.

Don't go imposing your standards on others unless you employ them, are their parent, or it is your job to do so (teachers, parole officers, etc.).
I said "Our" as in the country we live in.

I never before experienced a delivery driver for a large professional corporation or organization make a delivery in a Robe, Slippers and Hair a Mess and looking Dirty.

I would call that "lowering their standards" from what had been their previous practice.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA

I never before experienced a delivery driver for a large professional corporation or organization make a delivery in a Robe, Slippers and Hair a Mess and looking Dirty.

I would call that "lowering their standards" from what had been their previous practice.
But they aren't for a large professional corporation. They are independent contractors that are contracted by the Large Corporation. They are basically acting like UPS or FedEX. UPS and FedEX are not owned by the companies they deliver for. They are selling their services to those companies.

So in fact you are dealing with a small local entrepreneur that is being employed by a large business.

And I'd say that I would rather have someone show up dressed like that than show up intoxicated to their jobs which happens WAY more regularly.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH

I agree.

Racing to the bottom is bad in the long run no matter how it is explained.

Personally, each day I think we should all aim a little higher, not a little lower.

KTuk4J

Equipment
Mar 2, 2020
NW OR
But they aren't for a large professional corporation. They are independent contractors that are contracted by the Large Corporation. They are basically acting like UPS or FedEX. UPS and FedEX are not owned by the companies they deliver for. They are selling their services to those companies.

So in fact you are dealing with a small local entrepreneur that is being employed by a large business.

And I'd say that I would rather have someone show up dressed like that than show up intoxicated to their jobs which happens WAY more regularly.
No different that who you hire to represent your workplace!

Standards.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I agree.

Racing to the bottom is bad in the long run no matter how it is explained.

Personally, each day I think we should all aim a little higher, not a little lower.
Well said.

It is however, difficult to assume someone dressed poorly in public can't afford to dress more appropriately when they are carrying a $500-$1000 iPhone. It's all about priorities.
That person could go to Goodwill or any second hand store and buy a closet full of decent clothes for a lot less money.

KTuk4J

Equipment
Mar 2, 2020
NW OR
These excuses are just excuses.

There are means if wanted to dress neatly, no more expensive than the pajamas or slippers. And you can't tell me the gal had no access to a hair brush.
:rolleyes: