L2800 oil leak, seal replacement

Boatman

Equipment
Kubota L2800, Kubota BX1870
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
I've had a minor drip for a while but noticed while the machine was parked for a week there was actually a puddle. The leak is the seal on the left side of the transmission where the pedal shaft exits. It looks like in the parts diagram that the shaft just goes through to transfer the pedal action from the right side to the left side. Just want to make sure if I pull that shaft that nothing will drop off inside the case.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
You don't reckon the sight glass is leaking do you? I've never seen that seal leak, but I've seen a few dozen sight glasses leak oil, which is above that area, and looks exactly like what I see in the picture.

Boatman

Equipment
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
You don't reckon the sight glass is leaking do you? I've never seen that seal leak, but I've seen a few dozen sight glasses leak oil, which is above that area, and looks exactly like what I see in the picture.

Hey thanks for the suggestion. I pulled the transmission cover off this morning and it looks like you are correct. I assume that it's threaded into the case and has an o-ring. The sight glass was loose and I was able to turn it with my fingers. Took about a full turn by hand and then I gave it a bit more with a wrench. I guess I'll clean everything and see if the leak comes back.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Hey thanks for the suggestion. I pulled the transmission cover off this morning and it looks like you are correct. I assume that it's threaded into the case and has an o-ring. The sight glass was loose and I was able to turn it with my fingers. Took about a full turn by hand and then I gave it a bit more with a wrench. I guess I'll clean everything and see if the leak comes back.

Yes just threads in but there's no o-ring. Just a rubber washer of sorts. There was a "kit" that replaced the glass with a dip stick, but it wasn't cheap. The trans cover is different and there are a few other parts that go with it, but I like it better than the sight glass. Personal preference, that's all. The glass was just a pain to deal with, IMO.

Also IIRC, the part number for the sight glass has changed which means they've revised it somehow. I dont know if it's a different color, different material, or what. I didn't pay much attention to it when I replaced one on the boss's L2800HST.

Boatman

Equipment
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
Yes just threads in but there's no o-ring. Just a rubber washer of sorts. There was a "kit" that replaced the glass with a dip stick, but it wasn't cheap. The trans cover is different and there are a few other parts that go with it, but I like it better than the sight glass. Personal preference, that's all. The glass was just a pain to deal with, IMO.

Also IIRC, the part number for the sight glass has changed which means they've revised it somehow. I dont know if it's a different color, different material, or what. I didn't pay much attention to it when I replaced one on the boss's L2800HST.

Well I cleaned up the oil today and it's still weeping from the sight glass. I'm afraid to tighten anymore in fear of breaking it. I did notice that the original part number is superseded so maybe the new part has a better seal.

Wondering how much fluid I need to drain down to replace the sight glass? Is it possible to park on a side hill and not have to drain anything?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Is the glass cracked? All it takes is a hairline crack to get it to start oozing :rolleyes:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Get your new seal in hand, then park your tractor on a slope with the sight glass is on the high side....and be quick!

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I have the same tractor...and would be interested in that part number for the dipstick instead of that site glass. I have always hated that thing...and might just avoid the leak by swaping out. Thanks.
View attachment 25715

Last edited:

Boatman

Equipment
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
Is the glass cracked? All it takes is a hairline crack to get it to start oozing :rolleyes:

Not sure as I can't see anything. But after some Googling last night it looks as though the threads break away from the body. I suspect that is the problem. Called the dealer this morning and they have 5 in stock.

Boatman

Equipment
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
I have the same tractor...and would be interested in that part number for the dipstick instead of that site glass. I have always hated that thing...and might just avoid the leak by swaping out. Thanks.
View attachment 25715
You need to call the dealer to verify, but I "THINK" It's TC220-99680.

I also came across this last night and if mine becomes a reoccurring issue I'll probably make the conversion.

[/URL][/IMG]

Boatman

Equipment
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
Picked up the new site glass. The old one twisted off when i went to unscrew it and I had to remove the threaded portion separately. Unfortunately the white part on the inside of the site glass fell into the case before I had a chance to grab it with a needle nose plier. I assume there is some sort of scavenger screen at the bottom and the plastic won't cause any issues. Maybe it will settle down to the drain plug and will come out with the next fluid change.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I also came across this last night and if mine becomes a reoccurring issue I'll probably make the conversion.

[/URL][/IMG]

Thank you gentlemen...this looks like a good project...and thanks for the info.

View attachment 25721

This photo has something I added to mine that I find helpful...tool rack and cage to hold all my crap...

Last edited: