Adhesive for cracked hood on BX1850

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
I rebuilt a large hole in the cabin roof of my M with FG cloth embedded in West 2 part Marine epoxy.
It also looks like a pave job but a new roof is north of $700 and the epoxy cosy $75 and I still have more than half left for future needs.
It has stuck well to the plastic and is very strong.

Titan17

Equipment
L3901 TLB, Caroni RFM, Scag Wildcat ZTR, Piranha TB,York RE 96", MTL HD 48" grap
Jan 13, 2019
Uncasville, CT
THIS IS THE POST TO READ IF YOU WANT TO KNOW SOME DIFFERENT REPAIRS.
I had an autobody shop for years and many expensive plastic panels get repaired.

Many different plastics: TPO, urethane, poly's, SMC. I think that is SMC which stands for sheet moulded compound.

Plastic weld - you need to preheat the area, a good welder, the same composition plastic rods and know what your doing. So this method is probably out.

The easiest fix is Eternabond tape (eBay) on the inside. A double layer will hold it together. Coarse wire 1/2" mesh between layers gives some strength. Every home should have a roll of Eternabond. I just fixed my kayak and that was TPO; the hardest to fix.

A good fix is PC7, or JB weld, or Devcon, or something similar. BUT YOU MUST CLEAN SPOTLESS AND WIPE WITH RUBBING ALCOHOL THEN APPLY A CONVERSION COATING TO THE SURFACE SO THE EPOXY STICKS. A spray plastic etching primer will adhere to the plastic and the epoxy will stick to that. It helps to drill some anchor holes about 1/8" size around the crack. Wire mesh or glass matt also strengthens the repair but you must spread out all air from the repair area. Double layer repairs are better.

Touch up the 1/8" anchor holes on the outside when done. Razor blade what oozes out on the good side before completely set up.

I took 8 hour classes on this so giving you the short course. But this should get u by.

steve s

Equipment
BX2350
Jan 22, 2020
ARGYLE, TX. US
Gorilla Glue Duck Tape. Place it on top and bottom sides. Only thing I have found that helps. I've often thought of having an auto fabrication shop pound out a metal bonnet and fenders for my BX2350.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yeah ... 'plastic'..... which one ? There 'should' be a logo on the inside of the hood, a triangle or Engish, saying WHAT type of 'plastic' it is. If it's not labelled, email Kubota and find out. By law, here, north of the 49th, mfrs MUST label/mark parts as to material used.

You need to know which plastic in order to buy the correct 'glue'.

Guy next door loves to repair car bumpers, big easy money in that.