D-1105 Engine - Setting Valve Clearance Questions

schmellba99

Equipment
L3800
Jun 4, 2012
Texas
I had to replace the head on my B2410, installation is complete and the tractor is more or less put back together. I still need to properly set the clearance/lash on the valves though and have a couple of questions (I've never actually done this before, but seems easy enough).

My understanding is that you want the cylinder on top dead center, which means that i'll need to use the rocker method to determine this point. Let me know if this procedure is correct:

1. Rotate engine by hand until the intake valve and exhaust valve get to overlap (one is closing just as the other is opening).
2. Mark that point on the flywheel or crank pulley for that cylinder (start with Cylinder No. 1)
3. Rotate the engine a full 360 degrees
4. Set valve clearance (.007")
5. Repeat for Cylinder 2 and 3

Am I missing something or does this sum it up correctly?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I had to replace the head on my B2410, installation is complete and the tractor is more or less put back together. I still need to properly set the clearance/lash on the valves though and have a couple of questions (I've never actually done this before, but seems easy enough).

My understanding is that you want the cylinder on top dead center, which means that i'll need to use the rocker method to determine this point. Let me know if this procedure is correct:

1. Rotate engine by hand until the intake valve and exhaust valve get to overlap (one is closing just as the other is opening).
2. Mark that point on the flywheel or crank pulley for that cylinder (start with Cylinder No. 1)
3. Rotate the engine a full 360 degrees
4. Set valve clearance (.007")
5. Repeat for Cylinder 2 and 3

Am I missing something or does this sum it up correctly?
I cheat... I watch the valve and push rods when they are all the way down I set the valve, nothing more complicated than that.
run them around three times to set and check them all.

And as far as Bleeding the system, that easy too.
Crank all the lines on top of the injectors, set the throttle to high, crank in short intervals (letting the starter cool down for a few seconds) till all of the air is out, tighten and done.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
I typically follow the EOIC method when adjusting valves. With this method the lifter will always be on the base circle. Works with stock type cams to very radical of race cams.

EOIC: Exhaust Opening, Intake Closing.

Exhaust Opening = adjust intake.
Intake Closing = adjust exhaust.