Greasing a BX2816 snowblower questions

PNWBXer

Equipment
BX2380
Feb 24, 2020
Washington
I just got my tractor about a month ago....and haven't had a chance to test out my snowblower on actual snow. I did hook everything up and it works as advertised.

My question is how much friggin grease do the augur shaft take??? Even with a Lock N lube...you have to get the right angle to get the grease to flow in (inspected the zerks to make sure they aren't stuck). Then..... I must have pumped 1/2 of a tube of grease into the right zerk before grease came out part of the shear bolt!!!....my experience with greasing told me that the grease should have come out at the ends of the augur shafts and that it just seemed to take way way way too much grease. Where is the grease supposed to "crack" (come) out of to know i'm done greasing? Should I try and re torque the shear pin to spec and start pumping more grease in? I"m stopping until I get more info to make sure nothing is wrong.

Is the inner power shaft supposed to be greased from the inside? After removing the zerks to knock some paint off them....there were what looked like fresh holes in the power shaft that line up with the zerks which screw into the auger shaft......I was just assuming the grease went between the shafts to prevent corrosion between the shafts. Are there supposed to be holes in the power shaft (besides the shear bold holes?). The parts diagram only show the shear bolt holes (page 33). If not...it would make sense why so much grease was being taken in......meaning it was going to power shaft and not between the shafts. I could be wrong...just seems off to me.

Final question....i stripped one of the zerks trying to put it back on (or maybe it was already stripped)....they look like standard zerks.....should I just order on online? The port is not stripped....as I used the other zerk to test it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

PNWBXer

Equipment
BX2380
Feb 24, 2020
Washington
Didn't get any love from my first book I wrote....so I'll re frame the question. :D

Anyone with a Snowblower...how much grease do the augers take....and where does it come out to let you know it's done?

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I suspect the augers take a lot of grease on the initial service, and a few shots thereafter during periodic service. You are correct that the grease keeps the auger from rusting to the shaft and allowing the shear bolts to work as designed.
Most farm type stores sell zirk assortment kits that fit a variety of thread sizes. I have no idea what size they would be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

PNWBXer

Equipment
BX2380
Feb 24, 2020
Washington
Well I took the shear bolts out and moved the augers around the shaft. Then greased until grease came out the shear bolt holes....then re installed the shear bolts and greased until it finally came out the ends. IDK what was causing the back pressure on the grease gun....it greased fine today. Weird.

A standard sized zerk fitting with short threads threaded up fine to the grease port to replaced my stripped one.

I think what happened was the dealer didn***8217;t properly grease the blower before I got it....they seemed to have the same back pressure issues cause there was tons of grease on the zerk. I just think there was a think layer of paint over it causing some blockage? Idk?

Last edited: