B2410 - Using or Burning Coolant

schmellba99

Equipment
L3800
Jun 4, 2012
Texas
Curious what the OP plans on doing to fix the situation.
I bought a new head (Quantico Cylinder Heads), new head gasket, new injectors, new injector interconnect piping, new air intake gasket, new valve cover gasket and replaced all of it last night.

I don't think I set the clearance on my valves properly though, have another thread asking about the procedures on that so I can re-do them tonight or probably tomorrow because it will be raining and I can't get any yard work done anyway.

Outside of that, not much else to do - just get the valves set correctly and go through the PITA of getting it running again since I had to remove all of the fuel lines to pull the head and it's always hard to get a diesel running again after the fuel lines get air in them.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I think on that engine there is an O-ring that goes at the back of the head on the right side when you are looking from the front of the engine. It's small, about the dia of your little finger, and is a seal for oil flow.

Maybe someone will confirm, but you need it there is it's that design.

schmellba99

Equipment
L3800
Jun 4, 2012
Texas
I think on that engine there is an O-ring that goes at the back of the head on the right side when you are looking from the front of the engine. It's small, about the dia of your little finger, and is a seal for oil flow.

Maybe someone will confirm, but you need it there is it's that design.
There is, and it's installed. Made sure of that when I pulled the old head.

schmellba99

Equipment
L3800
Jun 4, 2012
Texas
Sonofa.....

Put the head back on, finally got all of the fuel leaks tightened up, etc. Tractor runs again, seems fine.

Except on the cylinder head I bought, the tapped port for the coolant temp gauge probe was plugged with an allen headed bolt/plug. They must have used some NASA grade thread locker or sealant on it, because it won't come out. And it's now stripped. Friggin 3 cent part is holding up final completion of this rebuild and it's driving me absolutely insane.

EZ Outs and left handed drill bits now on order to try to coax it out so I can put the temp probe back in.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Sonofa.....

Except on the cylinder head I bought, the tapped port for the coolant temp gauge probe was plugged with an allen headed bolt/plug. They must have used some NASA grade thread locker or sealant on it, because it won't come out. And it's now stripped. Friggin 3 cent part is holding up final completion of this rebuild and it's driving me absolutely insane.

EZ Outs and left handed drill bits now on order to try to coax it out so I can put the temp probe back in.
I would provide the feedback to the head supplier. They should be able to tell what was used (may or may not need heat to remove). If this is a tapered plug, it's not good to over torque as it can cause a crack.

If the port is needed, I'm curious why they plugged it.

Good luck getting it out and be very careful not to break the easyout.

schmellba99

Equipment
L3800
Jun 4, 2012
Texas
I would provide the feedback to the head supplier. They should be able to tell what was used (may or may not need heat to remove). If this is a tapered plug, it's not good to over torque as it can cause a crack.

If the port is needed, I'm curious why they plugged it.

Good luck getting it out and be very careful not to break the easyout.
I have already talked with them. Outside of that plug, it's a great part that was well machined and very good quality IMO.

I'm guessing it was plugged because not every model that uses that engine will have the same accessories. Still, I told them I'd rather see them leave it open and the customer can plug it than the other way around, because this is annoying.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have already talked with them. Outside of that plug, it's a great part that was well machined and very good quality IMO.

I'm guessing it was plugged because not every model that uses that engine will have the same accessories. Still, I told them I'd rather see them leave it open and the customer can plug it than the other way around, because this is annoying.
Yea that's sort of a common issue, they probably used a thread locker instead of a simple thread sealer. :(

schmellba99

Equipment
L3800
Jun 4, 2012
Texas
Yea that's sort of a common issue, they probably used a thread locker instead of a simple thread sealer. :(
Wish that would have been clearly conveyed. I would have had more options at my disposal removing it prior to installing it on the tractor. Now space is limited, heating it has potential issues (like burning hoses or wires), drilling it is much harder.

Simple things like communication are a big deal to me, and not done well or often enough IMO.

SOP for most projects with me though - it seems that the simple things turn out to be anything but, and that's when I lose my ish in the process.