Black smoke, soot = concern?

christhefur

Equipment
L4400, SVL75, KX040, BX23s
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Are you sure it is diesel fuel? At these temps it is most likely water and soot mixed. Take a clean piece of paper and let the exhaust splatter on it. Take to a warmer area, fuel or engine oil will grow oil spots from the splatter. Water will dry leaving the black dry soot. Worth a try.
I did the white paper towel test, and it seems to be water and soot. It comes out after a few seconds once it's warmed up a bit (splatters like crazy), and the black stays on the surface while the wet is clear (water) that spreads. Not oil. Soot. Thanks for the tip!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Quit worrying about soot from start-ups in cold wx. This is a diesel working machine, not a luxury automobile. Stay away from snake oils and additives the mfr’r doesn’t call for. Think about the logic of such things: The mfr’r states the lubricants/fuels their machine needs and even gives the specifications of those items.... and some owner decides on his own (or on the advice of a buddy or as a result of sales-hype) to put something the mfr’r does NOT specify.

Isn’t that an example of deliberate action contrary to the mfr’r?

603NorthCountry

Equipment
Kubota L4760 Cab,FEL, FEL Plow, Rake, Landplane, Tiller EA Box & grader
Dec 19, 2017
United States
I can give you one hint regarding the snow blower stalling out and black smoke. I had the same issue with my B2650 and it's front mounted blower. I would be using it and then the tractor would start to blow the smoke and stall.

I spoke with my dealer and they had me remove the air intake extension tube (long black tube off the air filter) from the air filter. They stated I needed to do this each winter when snow blowing because it will suck snow and ice into the filter and choke it out. Sure enough when I checked it was packed with snow/ice. I removed the air intake tube and have no problems since.

Hope that helps,

Karl

christhefur

Equipment
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
I can give you one hint regarding the snow blower stalling out and black smoke. I had the same issue with my B2650 and it's front mounted blower. I would be using it and then the tractor would start to blow the smoke and stall.

I spoke with my dealer and they had me remove the air intake extension tube (long black tube off the air filter) from the air filter. They stated I needed to do this each winter when snow blowing because it will suck snow and ice into the filter and choke it out. Sure enough when I checked it was packed with snow/ice. I removed the air intake tube and have no problems since.

Hope that helps,

Karl
Fantastic tip, will check that, thank you.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Glad to hear you solved the black splatter issue. As others have said this is normal cold weather startup. True for gas or diesel, just noticeable on the diesels due to the soot being washed out of the exhaust.
On the older VW diesels (maybe newer also) they ran a snow screen between the inlet and the filter. Screen was a fine mesh that would collect snow and stop up. Behind the screen was a flap that would open up and allow engine to draw warm air from the engine bay. Maybe you and others could devise a permanent manual flap or valve to install inline for winter use.

christhefur

Equipment
Jan 10, 2020
Canada
Glad to hear you solved the black splatter issue. As others have said this is normal cold weather startup. True for gas or diesel, just noticeable on the diesels due to the soot being washed out of the exhaust.
On the older VW diesels (maybe newer also) they ran a snow screen between the inlet and the filter. Screen was a fine mesh that would collect snow and stop up. Behind the screen was a flap that would open up and allow engine to draw warm air from the engine bay. Maybe you and others could devise a permanent manual flap or valve to install inline for winter use.
Thanks, I put some cardboard sheets in front of the radiator and air intake under the hood, that worked fine in the really cold weather. Now that its warmed up to freezing, I moved the cardboard forward in front of the battery/ air intake. It's easy to move around under the hood to help keep snow out of the air/ rad (seems to work).
I gave it a hard workout last night (plowing a lot of snow uphill) - just for fun really, got it up to temp and saw sparks come out of the exhaust in the dark, I guess carbon/ soot burning off. Tractor seems fine.