Go Back   OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota > Kubota Talk > Service, Repair & Maintenance

Service, Repair & Maintenance Offer your Kubota service advice, repair procedures or maintenance tips. Have a service related question? Post here.

Old 05-02-2018   #1
motorhead
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: 2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
Default B3200 alternator install... Modified the factory oil dip stick

I posted how I changed my B3200 over from the low amp Dynamo to the Kubota 40 amp Alternator. The factory, easily accessible , dip stick and tube that was set up for the Dynamo, would not work with the alternator. It interfered with the back of the longer alternator. Kubota called for a short oil dip stick that you really couldn't get to with the tractor engine side cover on.
So, I got to looking at the old dip stick and tube and thought I had nothing to lose trying to modify it. I carefully cut off the mounting bracket with a Dremel Tool and a small, thin cut off wheel. I then thought of how and where to re-route the dip stick tube. It is made from soft steel tubing so I carefully worked it, took some of the factory bends out of it and finally fit it up by the valve cover and oil fill cap. I re-bent the original mounting bracket, cut off some of the extra length, and marked it where it needed to be re-welded. That part of marking and welding was real tricky! The tube is thin and the bracket was thicker. I used my Miller Mig welder and just put two stitch welds on each side and then re-fit it. It took just a little tweak and I figured it was as good as I could get it. I carefully stitch welded the bracket to the tube being careful not to burn through the tubing. Kubota used only two little stitch welds then oven copper alloy brazed it. I cleaned it up after welding, painted it with something as close as I had to the Kubota engine gray and installed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3787 (960x1280).jpg
Views:	124
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	35791   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3777 (1280x960).jpg
Views:	128
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	35792   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3791 (960x1280).jpg
Views:	126
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	35793   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3792 (960x1280).jpg
Views:	118
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	35794  
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links  
Advertisement
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
200mph
4th Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Default Re: B3200 alternator install... Modified the factory oil dip stick

Thanks for posting your experience in the alternator upgrade!
200mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
motorhead
3rd Yr. Apprentice

Equipment: 2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
Default Re: B3200 alternator install... Modified the factory oil dip stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200mph View Post
Thanks for posting your experience in the alternator upgrade!

Any chance you could post the wholegoods item number for the kit?.. Assuming of course this is what you used.
I bought the alternator, a brand new Nippon DENSO , kubota alternator on ebay. It is GENUINE not Chinese knock-off. I looked in the parts manual for my tractor and just bought the few brackets that were for my tractor but if it had been factory equipped with the Alternator instead of the Dynamo. Had to do some wiring as the wiring loom that Kubota supplied in the kit is N.L.A.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote