ZD28 U-joint dimensions

dsc440

Dec 11, 2017
US
Needs front U-joint at gear box, anyone know aftermarket products, or dimensions I can use to search without pulling mine apart ? $100 for a factory item - that's crazy

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Needs front U-joint at gear box, anyone know aftermarket products, or dimensions I can use to search without pulling mine apart ? $100 for a factory item - that's crazy

I forget what joint it was, and what mower, but I measured one out and called around for a new joint-and aftermarket was more expensive than Kubota. Food for thought....

dsc440

Dec 11, 2017
US
I appreciate that, I talked to my driveshaft shop today & he said I need measurements, which I can't find and he seemed pretty shocked at the price - I'm going to have to pull it and take my own measurements and get back to him , he was pretty confident that he could fix me up, we'll see how it goes / I'll drop a message either way so the information is out there - they built alot of shafts for me without any issues , just wished I didn't have to take it apart twice but that happens

dsc440

Dec 11, 2017
US
I appreciate that, I talked to my driveshaft shop today & he said I need measurements, which I can't find and he seemed pretty shocked at the price - I'm going to have to pull it and take my own measurements and get back to him , he was pretty confident that he could fix me up, we'll see how it goes / I'll drop a message either way so the information is out there - they built alot of shafts for me without any issues , just wished I didn't have to take it apart twice but that happens

U-joint is apparently standard pto shaft joint used on most , my driveshaft shop sent me one out the same day - $15 / I will confirm specs after I change it out, hopefully next week depending on the weather and list info [emoji1696]

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Brand and part number is actually better than the measurements, since most manufacturers have cross reference tables to make it easier for the consumer.

dsc440

Dec 11, 2017
US
Finally got to service my ZD28, u-joint shop sent is not a match - #*%$#@^*&$ - close but that doesn't count as we all know - it's Metric, the standard pto joint he gave me to try is inch - I wanted to give it a shot since I couldn't come up with any measurements online , I had to pull it & find my calipers - I'll be on the phone tomorrow and see if he can match it now that I have something to work with .... to be continued .... I hope it's not continuing on over to the dealer to pay $100+ for a factory u-joint

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I know if it was my mower, in the middle of mowing season, I'd have run to the dealer and paid the little extra so that the mower wouldn't be down for almost 2 months fiddling with a driveline shop. Actually that reminds me, I need to go pick one up for my G1900 and replace it before it completely fails.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Be thankful that you can still get OEM quality parts for an older commercial machine. $100 is pretty cheap insurance...support your local dealer and Kubota for being there for you.

Business is moving towards the taillight warranty model of support and parts availability. Try buying a part for a 5 year old premium priced Apple product.

I buy Kubota BECAUSE I can get most parts within a couple days, even for a 15 year old machine, and, at a reasonable price. Try that at Wallymart or HomeDespot made in China cheap disposable junk landfill suppliers.

Buying cheapo third party parts just means you are paying twice and wasting more time when you discover it doesnt work. Support your local dealer and Kubota and say thank you when you pick up your part.

Last edited:

dsc440

Dec 11, 2017
US
I buy plenty of parts for my 50's IH no problem ! - I take my time and look around, when it's possible - I have no problem supporting family owned companies that have been here for 100 yrs and go out of their way to help me try and get something fixed , maybe it works out maybe it won't ( I might just take the shaft to them over the winter / have them machine the yokes for this common size & re-balance the damn thing & that most likely would be cheaper than a kubota U-joint ) - I don't wait until the U-joint ruins the yokes, 1/2 hr and the old joint was on my bench, 1/2 hr & it can be back on, it's preventive maintanance - I cut Sunday and can cut today if I needed to, it's fine to use if need be, we're only talking about 1 bolt holding this on , come on ! - I take good care of my equipment, all of it, and all 3 of my Kubota machines have given me plenty of issues for me to throw money at them , I get along just great with my dealer, order plenty of parts from him, I don't need bashed for trying to save myself from over paying for maybe the most basic, common type of a part that practically every machine made for the history of driveshafts/PTO's uses - sorry guys, I work hard & I'm not rich - maybe I should have hauled it over to the local dealer and left a blank check on the counter, told them to take their time, get back to me whenever it's convienent ? This is the idea of having a place to share info gentlemen & ladies , thank you for the feedback , God Bless free enterprise & freedom of choice !

dsc440

Dec 11, 2017
US
22mm Diameter caps x 40mm inside yoke where internal clips lock it in place x 60mm overall outside length = same both directions of the cross , still only $32 to my door , I have it sitting here for next service interval , I'll go that route over $100+ and taking a ride to the dealer - a critical part or some parts where you don't have a choice, I have no problem buying from my local Kubota dealer but a simple U-joint, I'll save $75 and losing time in traffic works for me !

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
22mm Diameter caps x 40mm inside yoke where internal clips lock it in place x 60mm overall outside length = same both directions of the cross , still only $32 to my door
Can you post your source and part number where purchased for $32.

Thanks

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
For what it is worth, I found this u-joint finder for Moog if you know the u-joint type and bearing diameter.

https://www.fme-cat.com/MOOGUjointSpecification.aspx?Brand=MU

Based on the photo Messick's has for 76539-31180 it looks like a four plain round bearings type.

https://www.messicks.com/part/76539-31180/u-joint-assy

I'm certain a replacement can be found if someone post accurate dimensions and a few photos.

For what it is worth Moog 811 and 812 are used in Metric PTO shafts (Bondioli & Pavesi 1 & Walterscheid 2100)

dsc440

Dec 11, 2017
US
Sorry for the major delay, alot of health issues to deal with & just kept getting set aside / I got the part @ The U Joint Store # TUS-2240

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Hope the health issues are behind you and you have a great 2020.

Thanks for posting the information about the u-joint.

I wanted to post a link to the u-joint and capture any pertinent information for future reference, but the link to the u-joint is blank.

Maybe someone else will have some luck posting.

https://ujointstores.com/product/tus-2240/

It doesn't look like too many companies make this size u-joint.

Added in edit:

22x40mm translates to 0.866 x 1.5748

https://www.driveshaftparts.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=906

Here's another place that sells a joint. Note the application as sometimes searching for an application will uncover more sources. (MATSUBA Universal Joint 0.866" x 1.574" ISR Mitsubishi Forklift - GUM95M)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MATSUBA-Universal-Joint-0-866-x-1-574-ISR-Mitsubishi-Forklift-GUM95M-x-2-/293271244699

GMB Part No.: 220-0095
https://www.gmb.net/u-joint-lookup/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gmb-220-0095

Last edited:

dsc440

Dec 11, 2017
US
Thank you for That, unfortunately only downhill from here but make the best of each day ! - Not alot of info on the part , 20 x 40 x 60 mm's - inside clips, equal both ways, not many sellers out there but still found it for now - if it ever becomes an issue again I'll just take it to the driveshaft shop and have it switched to SAE - best of luck to you this year !

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Thank you for That, unfortunately only downhill from here but make the best of each day ! - Not alot of info on the part , 20 x 40 x 60 mm's - inside clips, equal both ways, not many sellers out there but still found it for now - if it ever becomes an issue again I'll just take it to the driveshaft shop and have it switched to SAE - best of luck to you this year !

Just hoping to put a little humor into this thread...
The next owner’s grandson is going to have a REAL PUZZLE on his hands when he cant get that OEM u-joint to fit into that converted SAE driveshaft he never knew had been modified! LOL

(I keep a detailed logbook on every machine I own and describe in Detail each modification I make, and Why!. The previous owner of my Ferguson Compactor-Roller apparently was very creative on how to modify the factory wiring-harness and then routed all the changes he made inside a loom where it couldn’t be traced. I’ll never know how that hour-meter worked with two positive leads and no ground at all.... but when I replaced a failed Glow Plug relay and discovered that the oil-pressure-switch ground-wire became INCANDESCENT and smoke poured out of the cowling I figured I’d better get to the bottom of it all. Three days later and a couple of hours drawing up a new schematic for whoever ends up with this thing when I’m under the turf will make me immortal!) LOL

dsc440

Dec 11, 2017
US
That's the fun of being a mechanic, you get to figure out the puzzle as you go through the process and hopefully learn more ! - Good practice, I have it noted in the service manual with the box label attached , if it comes to a switched part during service , always write down every service with all important info