Starter relay

SWVA FARM

Equipment
L3010 4030
Jan 2, 2019
Pearisburg, VA USA
My L3010 refused to start today. I noticed a clicking noise from the starter relay I've never heard. After some digging I've found the relay is $85. So I go back and make a jumper wire and start playing. The end result is to remove the relay and jump from position 1 to position 3 which allows the tractor to function normally. Everything works. Anyone else have this issue? Any concerns with leaving this fix long term?

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
I would get a copy of the wiring diagram to find out what controls that relay.

Besides the key switch, it may be safed through the PTO for example. So it could be bypassing some important safety lockouts.

If it is the cost of the relay that bothers you, then go ahead and post the Kubota part number, and any other markings on the old relay. It might be possible to find a replacement at less cost, and doesn't put the operator in danger.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Did a quick search and did not find a cheap replacement.

The type of L3010 makes a difference (HST, GST, etc) and should be posted when asking for help.

By going to kubotausa.com you can look up your relay by going through the L3010 + type menu. The relay is under Electrical / Switch 1. This will give the Kubota part number. The Denso number may be marked on the relay.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Look at the replacement part on Messick's. They have a picture of the relay with the Denso number on it.

I forget which specific L3010 I looked up, but the Denso # was 56700 6690. Please verify yourself as I could have misread it.

I bet with a little research, you can find a replacement with similar pin geometry and electrical rating for 25% of the Kubota price.

Good luck and post back what you find.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
My L3010 refused to start today. I noticed a clicking noise from the starter relay I've never heard. After some digging I've found the relay is $85. So I go back and make a jumper wire and start playing. The end result is to remove the relay and jump from position 1 to position 3 which allows the tractor to function normally. Everything works. Anyone else have this issue? Any concerns with leaving this fix long term?
Is it a rapid clicking noise when trying to start? Also if you are just jumping the load side of the relay you aren’t ruling out the control side of the relay. Not familiar with your tractor but is there another relay on it that is the same you could swap out and retest?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
WSM wiring diagram shows two safety switches in series with the control side of the starter relay. Shuttle or HST (depending upon model) plus pto.

Probably the relay is not the problem but rather one of the safety switches. A safety switch with high resistance contacts can prevent the relay from pulling in fully.

Bypassing these safety features is not a wise idea and is likely to hurt someone other than yourself. Take the time and ask for help in identifying the real problem.

PM me if a WSM would help.

Dave

PGB2900

Equipment
B2900
Jan 14, 2020
Prince George, BC, Canada
Hi all, just to revive a dead thread.
I'm having the same issue with my B2900 tractor. Initially I thought it was the relay, although when I put my meter on the control side of the relay I am getting just under 11 V. The problem was initially intermittent, gradually getting worse, but now to the point where it never starts. The relay will click, but will not complete the circuit to engage the starter. As per the previous poster, when I jump those wires manually the starter engages and the tractor fires right up.
I am assuming there must be a safety switch issue? If anyone has a wiring diagram for my machine it would be greatly appreciated! Any other thoughts are also more than welcome.
It is a 1996 B2900, with the GST.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
although when I put my meter on the control side of the relay I am getting just under 11 V. The problem was initially intermittent, gradually getting worse, but now to the point where it never starts.
Symptom sounds more like a bad connection. I would check them all on that particular circuit back to the battery, and the battery ground.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
when I put my meter on the control side of the relay I am getting just under 11 V. The problem was initially intermittent, gradually getting worse, but now to the point where it never starts. The relay will click, but will not complete the circuit to engage the starter.
The 11 volts is only part of the equation, what is the battery voltage? If battery is at 11.1 volts the circuit only has a 0.1 volt loss, but if the battery is at 12.6 there is likely a wiring issue.

Most starter related issues can be found using a voltage drop test and in many cases can be a faster means to the root cause. This is due to the circuit being under load (many amps) versus just check for continuity or static voltage.

Wiring diagram of your specific model will go a long way in understanding what is in play during the starting sequence.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I'm having the same issue with my B2900 tractor. Initially I thought it was the relay, although when I put my meter on the control side of the relay I am getting just under 11 V. The problem was initially intermittent, gradually getting worse, but now to the point where it never starts. The relay will click, but will not complete the circuit to engage the starter. As per the previous poster, when I jump those wires manually the starter engages and the tractor fires right up.
I am assuming there must be a safety switch issue? If anyone has a wiring diagram for my machine it would be greatly appreciated! Any other thoughts are also more than welcome.
Are you certain your tractor is a B?

Could it be an L?

Dave

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I am really not trying to be a pain with this, but there is some real confusion on this.
Kubota never made a B2900, not even grey.
They also never made any B with a GST transmission.

Would you please go out and look at the hood and double check that it says B2900 and not L2900, and if you could give us the serial number on the side of the transmission that would be great too, and even a picture might help clear up some confusion.

If it was a simple typo, and it is an L2900 then we can move on and get you some solid answers!

PGB2900

Equipment
B2900
Jan 14, 2020
Prince George, BC, Canada
Thank you for the prompt replies.
I thought I was told it was a B2900, but looking at the tractor itself it is indeed an L2900. I know it is the GST as it is written on the side of the tractor.
In terms of the battery, the battery is strong. When the starter does engage, it turns over really well and has been starting the tractor without any problem to -20 Celsius [-4 Fahrenheit]. My thought is that the control wiring into the ignition relay is the issue because of the lower voltage. I'm guessing that with less than 12 V the relay is not making a full contact to close the circuit?
I am not a mechanic so I defer to the expertise on here.
Thank you everybody for your help.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Hmm sounds like it's not getting full power. Without seeing a schematic, I'm thinking power has to go through starter switch then several safety switches as well as lots of wire and connectors.Along the way, every less than perfect connection, reduces the voltage and starter relay goes clik,clik not KLUNK. This reminds me of the classic JD300 series where JD issued a TSB and an upgrade kit, consisting of a relay. All these switches kinda fail as water,dirt,salt, etc. get into them and corrode the open contacts.
You 'could' replace EVERY switch the power goes through and remake every connection but the JD upgrade is easier and cheaper !
All you do is install any SPST relay. The original starter 'control' feed powers this new relay and it's switch contacts send +12 to the original starter relay control wire.
I've done several 'upgrades' over the years, takes about an hour and all have worked 100%.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
PGB2900,
Power comes from the Main switch to the PTO switch then on to the shuttle switch then the relay, not that complicated, you probably have a bad PTO or shuttle switch, both are a easy and cheap replacement.

Greenvillejay,
The "upgrade" that your talking about is this system already, it doesn't take the power directly from the switch to run the starter solenoid directly, it takes power from the switch to run the relay then the relay runs the solenoid.

Same thing that the "upgrade" your talking about did to older tractors. ;)

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
PGB2900,
Power comes from the Main switch to the PTO switch then on to the shuttle switch then the relay, not that complicated, you probably have a bad PTO or shuttle switch, both are a easy and cheap replacement.

Greenvillejay,
The "upgrade" that your talking about is this system already, it doesn't take the power directly from the switch to run the starter solenoid directly, it takes power from the switch to run the relay then the relay runs the solenoid.

Same thing that the "upgrade" your talking about did to older tractors. ;)
Wolfman,
I participate in several on-line forums and actually created and moderate one devoted to an aviation subject. Of all the Forums I visit, YOU are the MODEL Administrator/Moderator I wish all forums had. (And I have some very good help at mine, but YOU are really an asset.) You do so MUCH to help owners that Kubota should put you on the corporate payroll. I don’t have anything to do with this thread or particular model tractor to which this discussion applies, but I read your stuff anyway because ... You are just THAT GOOD! Thank you!