B3200 alternator install... Modified the factory oil dip stick

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
I posted how I changed my B3200 over from the low amp Dynamo to the Kubota 40 amp Alternator. The factory, easily accessible , dip stick and tube that was set up for the Dynamo, would not work with the alternator. It interfered with the back of the longer alternator. Kubota called for a short oil dip stick that you really couldn't get to with the tractor engine side cover on.
So, I got to looking at the old dip stick and tube and thought I had nothing to lose trying to modify it. I carefully cut off the mounting bracket with a Dremel Tool and a small, thin cut off wheel. I then thought of how and where to re-route the dip stick tube. It is made from soft steel tubing so I carefully worked it, took some of the factory bends out of it and finally fit it up by the valve cover and oil fill cap. I re-bent the original mounting bracket, cut off some of the extra length, and marked it where it needed to be re-welded. That part of marking and welding was real tricky! The tube is thin and the bracket was thicker. I used my Miller Mig welder and just put two stitch welds on each side and then re-fit it. It took just a little tweak and I figured it was as good as I could get it. I carefully stitch welded the bracket to the tube being careful not to burn through the tubing. Kubota used only two little stitch welds then oven copper alloy brazed it. I cleaned it up after welding, painted it with something as close as I had to the Kubota engine gray and installed it.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Thanks for posting your experience in the alternator upgrade!

motorhead

Equipment
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
Thanks for posting your experience in the alternator upgrade!

Any chance you could post the wholegoods item number for the kit?.. Assuming of course this is what you used.
I bought the alternator, a brand new Nippon DENSO , kubota alternator on ebay. It is GENUINE not Chinese knock-off. I looked in the parts manual for my tractor and just bought the few brackets that were for my tractor but if it had been factory equipped with the Alternator instead of the Dynamo. Had to do some wiring as the wiring loom that Kubota supplied in the kit is N.L.A.

06B3030

Equipment
B3030, LA403, BH75, York Rake, Plug Aerator, 6' Rear Mower, Forks, Weight Box
Sep 21, 2015
MA
Thanks for the post!!!

I just did the alternator upgrade. I bought the kit, and used the new dipstick just to get the install done. I was planning to cut the bracket a half inch away from the tube so I could just weld to the bracket metal and not mess with the tube.

I like where you routed it by the valve cover!!!

Alternator 1.jpg

motorhead

Equipment
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
Thanks for the post!!!

I just did the alternator upgrade. I bought the kit, and used the new dipstick just to get the install done. I was planning to cut the bracket a half inch away from the tube so I could just weld to the bracket metal and not mess with the tube.

I like where you routed it by the valve cover!!!

View attachment 110459
The benefit, to me, is faster battery recovery without over charging. I can use my B3200 now to jump start a car by hooking up the jumper cables and letting the tractor run at 1800-2000 rpm for a few minutes and have some amperage going to the dead battery before starting the dead car.
The rerouted dip stick INSURES that I will check the oil regularly and easily.

06B3030

Equipment
Sep 21, 2015
MA
The benefit, to me, is faster battery recovery without over charging. I can use my B3200 now to jump start a car by hooking up the jumper cables and letting the tractor run at 1800-2000 rpm for a few minutes and have some amperage going to the dead battery before starting the dead car.
The rerouted dip stick INSURES that I will check the oil regularly and easily.

Yea...rerouting the dip stick is a MUST!!! That's my next project.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Well done sir!

Looks great!

06B3030

Equipment
Sep 21, 2015
MA
Motorhead...you definitely inspired me to get this done. Modified the tube last night, and did an oil change.

I cut the bracket leaving about 1/2" of it on the tube. I figured I could weld onto that instead of the tube. Once I got the tube shaped so it was positioned properly, the piece on the tube was on the back side of the tube, so I just ended up cutting it off. I removed the lower alternator bolt nut to position the portion of the bracket that had the hole. I hand tightened it and marked the tube where the bracket needed to be. I used some 3/4" flat stock to extend the angled portion of the bracket to the tube. With the tube marked, and the extra length of bracket material determined, it was time to weld it together. I have a Lincoln 180 Mig and first welded the extension on the angle piece of the bracket. Then I removed the paint from the tube and put one tack to hold the bracket in place. I then when out to make sure the fitment was correct. I just had to make a slight adjustment, and then put a couple more tacks, three in total.

Lightly sanded the tube around the weld and painted it. Only had some black paint so that had to do.

Took a couple hours, but definitely worth the time! Otherwise, using the replacement dipstick in the kit, requires you have to remove the front grill and side panel every time you want to check your oil!!!

Dipstick Tube.jpg

IMG-8798.jpg

IMG-8799.jpg

IMG-8800.jpg

• Love

motorhead

Equipment
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
Looks good!!! you routed it just the same way I did mine. I used the alternator nut to hold the dip stick tube like you did. Good job!
Where did you find a complete alternator kit? I had to order mine by the piece through Kubota.

06B3030

Equipment
Sep 21, 2015
MA
Looks good!!! you routed it just the same way I did mine. I used the alternator nut to hold the dip stick tube like you did. Good job!
Where did you find a complete alternator kit? I had to order mine by the piece through Kubota.
I bought the kit from "Coleman Equipment"...
40 Amp Alternator Kit B7324