B2650/B3350 Parking Brake Indicator Light

wmitch1000

Equipment
B2650 Cab, FEL, MMM, Front Hyd Snow Blade, EA Grapple, York Rake
Mar 7, 2010
Northern Virginia
On a B2650 there is no parking brake indicator light. However I understand the B3350 has a parking brake indicator light on the dash. Since the B2650 and the B3350 are mostly the same build, I was wondering if I could install the parking brake light switch and connect it to the existing wiring harness, if not the harness than I would just put in another indicator light.

So now my question... where and is there a place on the B2650 parking brake to install a parking brake light switch?

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
I realize this is an old thread and nobody responded then, but maybe somone has done something since.

I am interested in doing this.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I realize this is an old thread and nobody responded then, but maybe somone has done something since.

I am interested in doing this.
Well Orange,

here is what cha gonna need.

A light - 12v light mounted to a place that you can see easily - you could drill a hole in your dash or....

A normally open switch - that being once held closed, the circuit is closed and current flowing. This switch will need to be mounted in such a way that the arm of the brake pedal will push against it when brake is locked.

A wiring that will tap into a wire hot ONLY when the engine is in the on position.

All the above is the easy part - mounting the switch to the brake pedal in a way that will stay will be the hard part - YOU don't want this light popping on every time you hit the pedal, just when it is locked in place, so having the adjustment is important.

If you have a junk yard around - you will find the same switch on an old style car or truck - look under the brake pedal, the switch is there.

HTH

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
An old thread but... I don't have eier on either of my M's and I'm going to add them this spring. I tend to forget I've applied the brake and then drive off with it engaged. In my case the tractors have enough power that engaged or not, the tractor goes anyway.

Have the switch, it's a leaf spring activated switch, have the bulb and socket and will go in the dash. Got the switch from Digi-Key online and the bulb and socket too. Going with an LED indicator lamp. wired to the run side of the ignition key.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
An old thread but... I don't have eier on either of my M's and I'm going to add them this spring. I tend to forget I've applied the brake and then drive off with it engaged. In my case the tractors have enough power that engaged or not, the tractor goes anyway.

Have the switch, it's a leaf spring activated switch, have the bulb and socket and will go in the dash. Got the switch from Digi-Key online and the bulb and socket too. Going with an LED indicator lamp. wired to the run side of the ignition key.
Yeah. I want one too for the same reason. I plan to install the switch to operate with the brake-pedal locking-lever position for activation. I might even put a FLASHER on it!

TGBradley

Aug 29, 2019
Seekonk, MA
Decided to put a brake indicator on my B2650 yesterday since it was raining. After removing the steering wheel cowling, I was quite happy to find that there is already a brake lock switch mounted on the tractor. Not sure what it is used for, but I removed the switch, and used a very small screwdriver in the front side of the connector to release both terminals. This allowed me to solder a wire to the "output" side of the switch that I connected to a 1/2" diameter red neon indicator light. I mounted the light in one of the square blanks on the lower-right of the dash.

With the switch already there, complete with power, it was a much easier task than I thought it would be.

Reactions: 1 user

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
This thread got me thinking as I'd already decided I wanted a parking brake warning. I don't know what the L series has in place along those lines but it occurred to me I think I already have a brake light on the tractor. Since the parking brake depends on setting the brakes I could even add a dash mounted brake light. It would only illuminate when the key was on. This could be more simple than expected.

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Decided to put a brake indicator on my B2650 yesterday since it was raining. After removing the steering wheel cowling, I was quite happy to find that there is already a brake lock switch mounted on the tractor. Not sure what it is used for, but I removed the switch, and used a very small screwdriver in the front side of the connector to release both terminals. This allowed me to solder a wire to the "output" side of the switch that I connected to a 1/2" diameter red neon indicator light. I mounted the light in one of the square blanks on the lower-right of the dash.

With the switch already there, complete with power, it was a much easier task than I thought it would be.
My guess is the switch would be used to tell the tractor it is ok to have the PTO engaged without an operator present in the seat, but that the parking break was set, therefore ok to engage PTO. My question is I have a B2650HSDC, and I have previously looked for a switch for a brake light and found none. Where exactly is the switch you found?

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Ok I admit I am an idiot. Went out and looked again, and sure enough there is the switch looking me in the face once I got the cowling off. An hour later I had a piezoelectric pulsating horn installed and wired in. Works perfectly! No matter what the rpm is on the engine, I can hear the alarm plain as day. No more pumping the break pedal each time I get in the tractor. For the price paid for this model, this really should be standard equipment. Didn't cost me anything but my time, as I had everything on hand already, but still, come on Kubota, do the right thing and have this installed at the factory. We have all drove the tractor with the breaks on without realizing it. I was lucky, and didn't go far each time it happened, but someone is going to do some serious damage because they forgot to check the parking break and there was no audio or visual warning.

Now the next thing is to add an indicator light to let me know when the 4 wheel drive is engaged. And yes I have driven in 4 wheel drive when I didn't know I was. Looked into it a while ago, and it looks like a little more work, as I believe the seat will have to be removed. But it will happen. Again should be standard equipment for this tractor.

Last edited:

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
Worked this up over time.

Flashing lights for my parking brake. I have a video, but can't load it here.

Here's a link to the video. As in the video description, it got rotated 90° and can't fix it.
https://youtu.be/9a2DuvyjWpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Marco

Equipment
B2650
Dec 16, 2019
Clarksville, NH

I thought I was the only one who drove around with the parking brake on! Drives me crazy because its only a matter of time when I smoke the brakes.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I thought I was the only one who drove around with the parking brake on! Drives me crazy because its only a matter of time when I smoke the brakes.
Won't happen if you put the parking brake on firmly each time.

SDT