Kubota B2650 Winter Front Grille Cover

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Nice! I had heard that Kubota offered a grille cover for the B3350 which has difficulty making enough heat to complete a regeneration in cold weather. Some of us with front snowblowers have had trouble with snow getting in the air filter. I came up with a very primitive solution that keeps snow out of the air filter and stops ice from covering the radiator. Life is much easier with it. Corner of an old fitted bedsheet held in place with magnets. Not near as nice as yours! I am usually blowing snow at 10 to 20 F, I was more worried about overheating, but it runs at a steady 3 bars. I'll add a picture. I also put a plastic bag over the brush guard.
Here's that elusive part number for Kubota's B3350 cover that sheepfarmer mentions in the above quote:
Kubota part # 77700-06480 Mask, B3350 (Kubota's description)

It covers the front grill opening only. It does not cover the sides of the hood.

David

Eagle

Equipment
B2650
Dec 18, 2019
Northwestern Ontario
I bought myself a nice used Kubota B2650 with a cab and a front mounted snowblower. While using it the second time in fluffy snow conditions the tractor started losing RPM and smoking excessively out the exhaust. I stopped the tractor and checked under the hood. There was quite a bit of ice buildup in the fan housing and on the rad screens. The fluffy snow was blowing around after being discharged from the snowblower and was getting sucked into the front grill, melting, and then freezing into ice on the rad screens. The ice was building up in the fan cowling so bad that it was touching the fan blades. There was enough heat to melt the snow but not enough heat under the hood to stop the water from refreezing wherever it wasn’t actually touching a radiator.

The snow was also getting sucked right into the snorkel for the intake air breather which draws its air from just above the radiators and points toward the front of the tractor. I checked the intake air filter and it was 90% clogged with snow, hence the smoking exhaust. I called the Kubota dealership and all they could suggest was removing the snorkel from the air intake for the winter. This might solve the problem of snow clogging the filter but would do nothing to stop the ice buildup on the rad screens or the fact that the tractor is running cold.

My digital temperature gauge was only going up to 1 bar and I couldn’t get the cab to heat up very well either. The air coming from the heater vents just wasn’t very warm. I Googled the problem and found that lots of people where having the same problem, ice buildup, clogged filters, and cold running engines. I then came across this post from bird_dogger on Orange Tractor Talks. He has solved all these problems by building a set of winter grill covers for his B2650. He makes these in his spare time and sells them. I messaged him and he got back to me that evening.

I ordered a set of Dave’s Grill Covers for my B2650 and got to try them out yesterday. We had about 5 inches of fluffy snow so it wasn’t hard work for the tractor. It was minus 20 C (-2 or 3 F) so not real cold. I started out with just the front cover on and the temperature gauge only went up to 2 bars once the tractor started working a bit. I wanted it to get a little hotter so I put on one side cover to restrict the air flow a little bit more. Now the temperature gauge showed 3 bars. I’ll keep experimenting with how many and what configuration of grill covers works best for different outside temperatures. At 3 bars the engine oil filter registers around 195 degrees F when I check it with an infra-red heat gun. From what I’ve read here on OTT and heard from people, this a very good heat range for a diesel engine to run at. If it runs too cold it will start to produce sludge in the oil, which is very bad for the engine. If it runs too hot the oil will start to break down.

There wasn’t much wind yesterday, but the fluffy snow did get blown around the hood. After about 1 1/2 hours of working I checked under the hood and there was no buildup of ice around the radiators or the fan cowling. I checked the air filter and it was dry save for 1 or 2 drops of water around the cleanout valve. I now had to turn down the heat in the cab as it was getting to warm. These were the same kind of conditions I was working in when I had nothing covering the grills and the filter completely plugged with snow. The grill covers did exactly what I wanted them to do. They kept the snow from getting sucked into the radiators and air filter, and they brought the engine temperature up to the proper level.

The covers are very easy to put on and they fit perfectly. The magnets held the covers in place without any movement or slipping. As the covers are custom made for the B2650 they look great. I recommend these for anyone with a B2650 that gets used in cold weather conditions, especially if you use a snow blower on the front of the tractor.

I’m very happy them. They are well worth the price.
I’m so glad I came across Dave’s post on this site.
These covers will save me a lot of trouble and headaches in the future.

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
I too have had the problem of ice build up on the radiator and air filters. I took care of the problem with a set of front grill covers from David. Thank you David, they are perfect fitting, and take care of snow causing any problems. I have noticed that with any temps above 20 degrees or so, that the tractor temperatures rise to four bars on the display.

My question is, how hot is to much on the display. I normally run at three bars, and when it reaches four, I stop and remove the cover to get the temp to drop. Is letting it run at four bars doing any harm? The temp drops to three bars within a couple minutes of removing the cover.

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
I too have had the problem of ice build up on the radiator and air filters. I took care of the problem with a set of front grill covers from David. Thank you David, they are perfect fitting, and take care of snow causing any problems. I have noticed that with any temps above 20 degrees or so, that the tractor temperatures rise to four bars on the display.

My question is, how hot is to much on the display. I normally run at three bars, and when it reaches four, I stop and remove the cover to get the temp to drop. Is letting it run at four bars doing any harm? The temp drops to three bars within a couple minutes of removing the cover.
I had the same thing happen, temp bars up to 4.
I removed the side covers first, but temp didn't drop.
I then removed the front cover and then temp did drop to 3 bars. That seems to be the happy place for the temp, summer or winter.
I am currently experimenting with blocking the grill guard off. It did limit the amount of build up, but no eliminate it.
Now I'm going to rig up a three sides and too "box" type thing and see how that works.
I'm trying to allow air into the radiator, but keep the ice/snow/most from entering.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota

Thanks for the kind reviews Eagle, DeepWoods, and Orange1forme. Here’s my thoughts: At +20F I just run with the front cover on and have the same results: 3 segments displayed on the tractor’s gauge. During the testing of the prototype covers and then the final version, the results were about identical to Eagles’ as posted above. Using an Infrared thermometer when the tractor temp gauge displayed 3 segments gave oil temps on the filter in that +/- 190F range. At 190-195F the oil is in the sweet spot of operating temperature range, and maybe even in the lower range of that sweet spot. Changes in blower “loading” can also vary the temp by a segment or two in either direction. I try to get my operating temp to run in the 3 to 4 segment range while blowing snow. Engine temp is then midrange and I know the coolant is flowing. The warmth under the hood is enough to keep the fuel from gelling and even melts the snow from the hood top. The hydraulic oil is also warm enough to prevent thickening. And the engine oil temp is up in that 190F range or above which will prevent moisture buildup and get rid of any water condensation that might have taken place inside the engine. Even with the 4th segment displayed I can still hold onto the oil filter without it being too hot to hold onto. Same goes for the hydraulic filters. And of course this is North Dakota operations in outside temps from +20F on the warm side to -30F on the less warm side! (without wind chill) :D Orange1forme, your temps are hopefully a little milder than ours?

Here’s a couple of websites on diesel oil temperature that say the sustained diesel oil temp can be up in the 230F range before it starts to break down. That’s pretty HOT.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=632716

https://www.trailerlife.com/tech/qa/diesel-october-2019/

It was 27 below zero here this morning. Luckily no snow to blow. But some on the way in a day or two. I’ll have to try to get my gauge to read 5-6 segments and shoot the oil filter with the infrared heat gun to see what the oil temp is. Doubtful its close to 230F or above, but would be nice to find out. If I can get my gauge to read 5 segments or above I'll post the engine oil temps as read with the heat gun on the filter.
Regards,
David

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
Bird dogger, have you ever thought about making them for other Kubota models?
I think you might be sitting on a gold mine here.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Bird dogger, have you ever thought about making them for other Kubota models?
I think you might be sitting on a gold mine here.
Hi freewheel3. Good question. It can be done. The problem for me would be having access to the model someone was looking to get a set of covers fitted to. I have offered to a couple of people and would do the same for anybody else: if they'd like a cover for their model and could supply a template/pattern I'd be happy to sew something up for them. Anyone interested in that could PM/email me and I'd give them some guidelines on how to make the pattern. all it takes is a little time and patience, and can be made out of some heavier paper, etc.

Regarding: Sitting on a goldmine......:D Not sure that would be the case. I'd have to have prices a little more in line with the commercial products and have steady orders to boot. :D But it's a fun little pastime in retirement that helps others out and gets me a little fun money (beer, tools, etc., beer) on the side.

Thanks for asking, freewheel3. Again, if anyone is interested in something for their model just ask and we can try to work something up.
Regards,
david

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
Bird dogger - Did you ever consider setting up a deal with a local dealer. Offer him a deal on covers if he will let you on the lot to measure and make patterns for all the different models he has. In your area, I would think they would jump at the chance to get a good local supplier to help his customers with cold weather warm ups. His mark up is now his and he doesn't have to share with kubota. Sounds like a win-win.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
Hi freewheel3. Good question. It can be done. The problem for me would be having access to the model someone was looking to get a set of covers fitted to. I have offered to a couple of people and would do the same for anybody else: if they'd like a cover for their model and could supply a template/pattern I'd be happy to sew something up for them. Anyone interested in that could PM/email me and I'd give them some guidelines on how to make the pattern. all it takes is a little time and patience, and can be made out of some heavier paper, etc.

Regarding: Sitting on a goldmine......:D Not sure that would be the case. I'd have to have prices a little more in line with the commercial products and have steady orders to boot. :D But it's a fun little pastime in retirement that helps others out and gets me a little fun money (beer, tools, etc., beer) on the side.

Thanks for asking, freewheel3. Again, if anyone is interested in something for their model just ask and we can try to work something up.
Regards,
david
Very interested in getting a set made for my MX5000. I think the nose piece would be easier to make than the one on the B3350, as it isn't a round nose, it's more square. The side panels would be pretty straight forward, as well.
I won't need it for the remainder of this winter but I'll get in touch with you later in the summer and see if we can work something out.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Bird dogger - Did you ever consider setting up a deal with a local dealer. Offer him a deal on covers if he will let you on the lot to measure and make patterns for all the different models he has. In your area, I would think they would jump at the chance to get a good local supplier to help his customers with cold weather warm ups. His mark up is now his and he doesn't have to share with kubota. Sounds like a win-win.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
Hi conropl. I haven't considered that...or even thought about that. Maybe there would be/is a wider market for winter fronts other than the B2650/B3350.
I'll be needing some filters shortly and will have to pose your question to my salesman and see what his thoughts would be on that scenario. I'd have no idea what a dealership might consider or if it would put them at risk in any way. Maybe someone on OTT would have an idea and would comment on that possibility. Another good question! Thanks for asking, conropl.
Regards,
David

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Very interested in getting a set made for my MX5000. I think the nose piece would be easier to make than the one on the B3350, as it isn't a round nose, it's more square. The side panels would be pretty straight forward, as well.
I won't need it for the remainder of this winter but I'll get in touch with you later in the summer and see if we can work something out.
Freewheel3, I'd be happy to work something up for covers to fit your MX5000. Looking at some pictures on the web, I think you're right in that it wouldn't be too difficult. It's hard to find some really good detailed pics of the hood/grill area on the net. But it looks like your hood opens right underneath the front headlights and then there is also some grille work below that? Whenever you'd like, send me a PM or an email and we could start making a plan that would fit your needs. With a few good pics of your grill and sides it shouldn't be too hard to make a dandy set of plans for you. Could even start some plans this winter if you'd like.
Regards,
david

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I am hoping for a set for a B3000/B3030 someday.
Hi TimP. I'd be happy to help you out with a set of covers too. I looked at some pics of your model on the net and from what I could see it shouldn't be too hard to come up with something just as nice for your tractor. Whenever you'd like...send me a PM or email and we can come up with a plan and some tips on making the templates/patterns. I'd be ready to work on it anytime you could. Thanks for your interest!!
Best regards,
david

Eagle

Equipment
B2650
Dec 18, 2019
Northwestern Ontario
Just thought I’d post an update on my B2650 engine temps when using my front mounted snow blower and bird dogger’s winter grill covers. I blew about 3-4 inches of snow yesterday in outside temperatures of a warm 28-30 F. With all three covers in place my temperature gauge stayed at a nice and steady 3 bars while running at fairly easy engine loads. At three bars the engine oil filter reads around 195 F when read with an infrared heat gun. At one point I was cutting back a snowbank along one section of driveway so the blower and engine where working a bit harder. The gauge then went up to 4 bars. I checked the temperature of the engine oil filter and it read 222-223 F. As soon as I reduced the load on the engine the temps dropped back to 3 bars.
I’m very happy with still being able to use the covers at these warm outside temperatures. I thought the oil temps might go higher with the warm weather but the engine still ran at good temperatures and I didn’t get any blowing snow under the hood.
I haven’t had a chance to use the covers in really cold weather yet and am curious to see if the engine temperatures will warm up into the 3 bars range on the gauge. If I don’t get to test this out at 30 or 40 below I won’t be too disappointed. I will happily wait till next year.

Reactions: 1 user

Eagle

Equipment
B2650
Dec 18, 2019
Northwestern Ontario
:D Nice job and write up. I also have a B2650 with cab. Have the same issue being on the 49th in Ontario. I now have a cardboard in front of the rad. Gets up to 2 bars.
I'm not so sure that your engine running at 2 bars is hot enough.
Have you read bird dogger's post #65 one page back on this thread? He has some interesting links in the post about diesel engine temps. Also check out this post on the OTT forum. https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40207&highlight=operating+temperature

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
:D Nice job and write up. I also have a B2650 with cab. Have the same issue being on the 49th in Ontario. I now have a cardboard in front of the rad. Gets up to 2 bars.
Hi Kubota Paul. I did get your message and PM sent your way.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Just thought I’d post an update on my B2650 engine temps when using my front mounted snow blower and bird dogger’s winter grill covers. I blew about 3-4 inches of snow yesterday in outside temperatures of a warm 28-30 F. With all three covers in place my temperature gauge stayed at a nice and steady 3 bars while running at fairly easy engine loads. At three bars the engine oil filter reads around 195 F when read with an infrared heat gun. At one point I was cutting back a snowbank along one section of driveway so the blower and engine where working a bit harder. The gauge then went up to 4 bars. I checked the temperature of the engine oil filter and it read 222-223 F. As soon as I reduced the load on the engine the temps dropped back to 3 bars.
I’m very happy with still being able to use the covers at these warm outside temperatures. I thought the oil temps might go higher with the warm weather but the engine still ran at good temperatures and I didn’t get any blowing snow under the hood.
I haven’t had a chance to use the covers in really cold weather yet and am curious to see if the engine temperatures will warm up into the 3 bars range on the gauge. If I don’t get to test this out at 30 or 40 below I won’t be too disappointed. I will happily wait till next year.
Nice update, Eagle ! We must think alike. Last weekend when it was in the high 30's here I ran a temperature test and recorded some temp readings of engine oil, hydraulic filters, coolant, etc. at the different segment levels of the temperature gauge on the dashboard. I'm trying to organize them into an understandable format now and then I'll post that info. Its looking like my readings are in line with yours considering the temperature spread within the segments displayed.

Re real cold weather: You'll find even in the real cold temps (well below 0°F) with the covers on the engine should still warm up to mid range. At least mine did. But agreed, let's wait til next year or beyond to confirm that! :D

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
In the interest of science and for all inquisitive minds :D: Last weekend I decided to run an experiment to look into some oil/engine temperature questions posted here shortly before by Deepwoods, Orange1forme, etc. The experiment also falls in line with Eagle’s findings. I just happened to take a few more readings at higher gauge temperatures as displayed on the B2650. It’s in no way a scientific test but at least it does provide some insight into the different temperatures found at those locations. Using an infrared heat gun and recording the highest/average reading for each location. Using a PTO snow blower for loading the tractor required a sustained heavy load to get the gauge to raise up to the 6th segment. As soon as the blower was stopped so I could quickly shoot some temps the cooling took place just as quickly. Since the temps were recorded on the way “up” the segment display, the first readings might be a tad low because heat was still being accumulated and stopping the load to record gave the heat a chance to dissipate. At the upper end, the readings should be pretty accurate as it took a while to get there and everything was pretty well warmed up by then. Here’s the setup and the recorded resulting temperatures:
B2650 Temp Gauge_Oil Temps.jpg

From the oil pan/sump temperature...it looks like one shouldn't be afraid at all to run the B2650 loaded where the dashboard display registers anywhere from the 3 to 6 segments. Hopefully others with more knowledge will comment too.

Note: Sorry, it was impossible to format the findings in a post and have the columns align so I wound up taking a picture of the Word document. If anyone can make better use of the Word document for displaying it that would be great. Otherwise, I hope you can read it.
Regards,
david