B2410 - Using or Burning Coolant

schmellba99

Equipment
L3800
Jun 4, 2012
Texas
B2410, about 1200 hours

Last few times I've run it, I've noticed an antifreeze smell while it's running. No visible leaks, no coolant in the oil. Smokes a noticeable white smoke upon starting up, smoke clears as the RPMs increase and the engine warms up - but noticeable coolant smell.

Run it a while, coolant level in the radiator is down - my only assumption is that it is burning coolant. Doesn't get hot unless it's under a load on the PTO. It has gotten hot prior - blew a heater hose while doing some bush hogging at my deer lease and it got really hot.

My assumption is that I either have a warped head that is letting coolant leak into a cylinder, or I have a bad ring(s). Thoughts on other possibilities?

At one point coolant would boil over into the overlfow reservoir. I flushed the radiator and system out, ran citric acid through it - good flow through the radiator. Water pump is good, impellers show no signs of premature wear. Head gasket is good (I think - potentially the problem?). Gear head gasket is good. That issue seems to have stopped and now it is burning coolant.

Last edited:

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
B2410, about 1200 hours

Last few times I've run it, I've noticed an antifreeze smell while it's running. No visible leaks, no coolant in the oil. Smokes a noticeable white smoke upon starting up, smoke clears as the RPMs increase and the engine warms up - but noticeable coolant smell.

Run it a while, coolant level in the radiator is down - my only assumption is that it is burning coolant. Doesn't get hot unless it's under a load on the PTO. It has gotten hot prior - blew a heater hose while doing some bush hogging at my deer lease and it got really hot.

My assumption is that I either have a warped head that is letting coolant leak into a cylinder, or I have a bad ring(s). Thoughts on other possibilities?

At one point coolant would boil over into the overlfow reservoir. I flushed the radiator and system out, ran citric acid through it - good flow through the radiator. Water pump is good, impellers show no signs of premature wear. Head gasket is good. That issue seems to have stopped and now it is burning coolant.
Almost for sure you have a cracked cylinder head and will have to replace it. losing the coolant when the heater hose failed and then getting it really hot is the clue!

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
B2410, about 1200 hours

At one point coolant would boil over into the overlfow reservoir. I flushed the radiator and system out, ran citric acid through it - good flow through the radiator. Water pump is good, impellers show no signs of premature wear. Head gasket is good. That issue seems to have stopped and now it is burning coolant.
Bad head gasket, ( if you reused the head gasket after pulling the head to inspect ) then very likely bad gasket!

Cracked Head, sadly this is more common and likely, happens a lot when these engines overheat, it's the weak point.

Pull the head clean it off good and look for cracks between the valves and the prechamber.

Post some good pictures of it and some of us can tell you if it's cracked or not. ;)

schmellba99

Equipment
L3800
Jun 4, 2012
Texas
Correction - not sure on the head gasket condition. The gear cover gasket, where the water pump is located, is good.

I will apparently need to pull the head and hope like hell it isn't cracked. Tractor isn't worth the $1200 I'm seeing for a new head assembly.

schmellba99

Equipment
L3800
Jun 4, 2012
Texas
Bad head gasket, ( if you reused the head gasket after pulling the head to inspect ) then very likely bad gasket!

Cracked Head, sadly this is more common and likely, happens a lot when these engines overheat, it's the weak point.

Pull the head clean it off good and look for cracks between the valves and the prechamber.

Post some good pictures of it and some of us can tell you if it's cracked or not. ;)
I am sad to report that you were correct in this assessment. Cracked in 2 places.

Does anybody know anything about Kumar Bros. parts or GOOP parts? They have a complete head for enough below what I assume the dealer to be that if they are a decent brand, I'll go with them.

Damn, pictures ended up being HUGE. Cracked on front and middle cylinder, middle is the widest crack of the two.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I am sad to report that you were correct in this assessment. Cracked in 2 places.

Does anybody know anything about Kumar Bros. parts or GOOP parts? They have a complete head for enough below what I assume the dealer to be that if they are a decent brand, I'll go with them.

Damn, pictures ended up being HUGE. Cracked on front and middle cylinder, middle is the widest crack of the two.
If you lose the coolant on these engines the head cracks! almost every time.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Sorry to hear that we were right, eserv must have posted the same time as i did...I'm slow to post.

Quantico Cylinder Heads Inc: lowest price, I haven't used them, but they have a 2 year warranty on Kubota heads, so probably a safe bet:

https://www.qcylinderheads.com/products/kubota-d1105-cylinder-head

KumarBros: I've use them and had good luck with all the heads I've gotten.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Kubota-D1105-Complete-Cylinder-Head-with-valves-/182021540977

schmellba99

Equipment
L3800
Jun 4, 2012
Texas
Anybody bought from TractorXChange before? They are $50 cheaper than anybody else and claim a genuine OEM part.

schmellba99

Equipment
L3800
Jun 4, 2012
Texas
Looks like QCH headquarters is in Dallas, Tx. Wonder where they ship from.
There is a guy that did a review of one of their heads on youtube - said it was one of the best castings and assemblies he's seen. They are $600 for a head with valves, which is the 2nd best price I've found.

Plus they are a Texas company, which I kind of like. We'll see. Would still prefer a Kubota brand if possible, but this tractor isn't worth spending a huge amount of money on.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is a guy that did a review of one of their heads on youtube - said it was one of the best castings and assemblies he's seen. They are $600 for a head with valves, which is the 2nd best price I've found.

Plus they are a Texas company, which I kind of like. We'll see. Would still prefer a Kubota brand if possible, but this tractor isn't worth spending a huge amount of money on.
I wouldn't worry about it being Kubota, In fact most of the heads they sell, Kubota just doesn't make anymore, so you usually have little choice.

In this case Kubota does still has the stock heads available, for $745 plus shipping, so quite a bit more.

Here is the best price I've found on stock:

https://rlpartssupply.com/kubotacylinderheadassemblyd1105d1105-e2bpart1g065-03044.aspx

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I see the space craft is about to land. All I see is a river with, what looks like a boating contest going on. Have a safe landing!:confused:

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Crack location is typical of a loss of coolant overheat on pre-chamber diesels. Take away the cooling and the chamber insert gets combustion temp hot! I am surprised we have not seen cracks in the pre-chamber as most do crack there first.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Curious what the OP plans on doing to fix the situation.