Reverse and Throttle: Losing My Nuts!

propuckstopper

Equipment
GR2010, BX2380
Jan 10, 2018
Canada
About 11 months ago, I purchased a brand new BX2380. It has been a blast so far, and now has about 80 hours on it. I am just writing today to confirm a couple of issues I have either read about here or on other forums.

In the summer, my throttle lever would not stay in its selected position. The culprit? A missing nut, which is well documented here. I simply used a nylock nut to fix this, and it has been perfect since.

Last night, I was pushing snow around the driveway and noticed my reverse pedal was not functional. If I rocked it into forward, I could get a little bit of reverse speed by moving back to the reverse pedal.

Sure enough, I found the nut completely missing on the actuating rod that goes back to the transmission. Paul Short has a video on YouTube that pertains to this.

I have not replaced the nut yet, and it is in a terrible spot. Does anyone know the size of that nut? It has to be a fine thread metric deal, but I cant get up in there to measure.

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
Can you find a parts breakdown online that would list it?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
KUBOTA NUT,HEX 5/16-24 UNF
Manufacturer part number: 75599-31022

Attachments

Last edited:

propuckstopper

Equipment
GR2010, BX2380
Jan 10, 2018
Canada
KUBOTA NUT,HEX 5/16-24 UNF
Manufacturer part number: 75599-31022
Thanks Hokie. I actually found that diagram late this afternoon, then had to go out for a bit. I didn't have computer access to come and update my situation until now.

The fact that this is an imperial, and not metric nut kind of surprised me given the Japanese origin of these tractors. I knew they are built in Georgia, but never knew they used imperial fasteners.

Anyway, the tractor is 100% fixed. It's a bit of a trick to get that nut started, but pretty simple after you get it threaded a bit.

mkchad211

Jun 14, 2018
Sadieville, KY
Strange that a lot of the reverse pedal linkage nuts seem to fall off. I bought a used BX2360 in July with about 180hrs. Had the same slow to return symptoms on the pedal and found the reverse linkage nut was missing. Figured out the thread size using my tap & die set and replaced with a nylock nut.

As soon as I fixed that took a lap around my yard and noticed that one of the deck anti-scalp wheels fell off lol. Never did find that nut either. Had to take another trip to town to get four nylock nuts to better secure the deck anti scalp wheels. I wasn’t happy that day with Kubota to say the least lol...

propuckstopper

Equipment
GR2010, BX2380
Jan 10, 2018
Canada
Strange that a lot of the reverse pedal linkage nuts seem to fall off. I bought a used BX2360 in July with about 180hrs. Had the same slow to return symptoms on the pedal and found the reverse linkage nut was missing. Figured out the thread size using my tap & die set and replaced with a nylock nut.

As soon as I fixed that took a lap around my yard and noticed that one of the deck anti-scalp wheels fell off lol. Never did find that nut either. Had to take another trip to town to get four nylock nuts to better secure the deck anti scalp wheels. I wasn***8217;t happy that day with Kubota to say the least lol...
I just came back to this site tonight to report that I actually used the tractor after replacing the missing speed pedal actuator nut. Wow. What a difference! That thing goes like a rocket in reverse now. That nut must have been loose for a long time before finally falling off. The difference is so dramatic, it feels like a different tractor.

Before I posted this commentary tonight, I noticed another post dealing with a loose seat spring in a low hour BX2380. Believe it or not, I also had the same issue. But rather than being loose, one of my seat springs was actually laying in the pan. I found this when the tractor was basically brand new, so I since forgot about it.

As this tractor is now nearing one year old, and learning about (and actually experiencing) three different episodes of parts being loose, I think I am going to pull out the wrenches and do a complete nut and bolt check.

This BX deal is a funny thing, because I have had my GR for almost ten years and have had less issues than I have with the BX in one year.

Rick D

Equipment
BX2370
Jan 14, 2020
South Carolina
Many thanks to all of you...this thread was a Godsend! Had the same exact symptoms on my BX and checked the nut...GONE! Got a 5/16x24 Nyloc and put that on...WOW! Runs like a rabbit!
Space was tight as y'all said; it was a 1/2 hour swearfest getting that nut started, but boy was it worth it!

Many thanks again!

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
I've had the exact same three "loose nut" issues on my 2380.....throttle lever, seat spring, and reverse link.

You would think these issues would have come up in some durability testing during development in Kubota R&D, if they did any.

I'd like to biatch-slap the engineer that spec'd regular nuts on a rattle-trap tractor. Sheesh. :mad:

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
Dalola, you can slap him for me as well and you can bet your A$$ that engineer has little tiny girl hands too !

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Dalola, you can slap him for me as well and you can bet your A$$ that engineer has little tiny girl hands too !
No they don't, engineers never work on anything they design, they might have to learn new swear words.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re:... engineers never work on anything they design,

truer words were never written !!!!

Every engineer or designer or whatever you want to be called should,by law, have to work on whatever they've designed, using NORMAL tools, in a regular shop....
Of the 100s of ringbearers I've dealt with only 2 were OK, the rest were pompus idiots.

dalola

Equipment
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
lol...well, it was a figure of speech. No violence on my watch!

It is frustrating tho, on an otherwise well designed product. Just little details you'd think could be so easily cleaned up.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
That engineer DID SPECIFY Lock-Nuts in those locations.

But some do-gooder supervisor on the assy-line figured on the BONUS he’d receive by cutting a few cents off the cost-of-production by substituting plain nuts. However, some accountant in book keeping managed to re-direct the credit towards himself by stealing the idea and presenting it to the management who then ordered the change on the production-line. Then, purchasing decided that importing the plain nuts from out-of-country would skip the local unionized-labor costs of the local producer, so the plain nuts were imported to Japan from the U.S. where non-metric nuts are mfr’d.

“And now, you know the rest of the story”, -PaulHarvey

dalola

Equipment
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio

But some do-gooder supervisor on the assy-line figured on the BONUS he’d receive by cutting a few cents off the cost-of-production by substituting plain nuts. However, some accountant in book keeping managed to re-direct the credit towards himself by stealing the idea and presenting it to the management who then ordered the change on the production-line. Then, purchasing decided that importing the plain nuts from out-of-country would skip the local unionized-labor costs of the local producer, so the plain nuts were imported to Japan from the U.S. where non-metric nuts are mfr’d.

lol...very funny! And probably not far from the truth!! :eek:

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.

Correcting similar examples of the above pretty much summarizes much of my career as an engineer. Favorite: stainless specified mild steel proposed by Purchasing. Cylinder head/injector parts!