How to lift Mower deck discharge deflector

Frank Peters

Equipment
Mower Bx 2360
Jul 27, 2012
Moe Victoria Australia
Hi all,
I do have to lift deflector on my mower deck in many places to get closer and all I come up so far is a rope attached to plastic flop. (discharge)

There must be better way and I wonder if anybody come with good design.

I have in my main electric operation, possibly using electric servo motor from car window, cost about $50 and reasonable simple to install.

How ever I will be happy to accept other ideas. So let us know your opinion.

Regards Frank

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
I hook one of those solid rubber bungees on my brake pedal shaft and the other end under the bottom edge of the deflector when folded back.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Just take it off and get rid of it, you'll be much happier. I do landscaping/lawncare on the side and every mower I've ever owned new or used the FIRST thing I did was took off the discharge chute and got rid of it.

Jim-Iowa

Oct 14, 2011
Newton,Iowa
I have done both, use a bungee Cord and taken off the deflector. Out on my acreage most of my mowing is a long ways from anything.
But then again they call it a deflector because it will deflect objects down
into the ground instead of sailing great distances and hitting someone or something. My brother has done custom mowing or over 30 yrs and refuses to own a Cub Cadet, because he owned one without the deflector and it picked up a rock and hit his daughter(scared him Silly). Yes that is irrational and could happen with any mower, but is what it is. I Think it comes down to whether your mowing where a slung object can do damage. The Bungee is the option I use, since I can always drop the deflector when near the house and or people.
I think it is much better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited:

Frank Peters

Equipment
Mower Bx 2360
Jul 27, 2012
Moe Victoria Australia
Hi all,

I have taken all option in consideration including electric lifting and decided to remove existing deflector and make small metal deflector on hinge, no spring and have it either up or down. Other alternative is make rubber flop hanging down cross the opening about half way down. Regards Frank.