Help in change of latitude

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Oliver, thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated.

Quite welcome. Oh one more negative to WV is state income tax which starts at 3% on the first $10,000 then steps up a few times to the top bracket of 6.5% on whatever you earn over $60K. And I *believe* it includes retirement income.
And NC is not so tax friendly either, I recall reading an "overall tax cost rating" of each state a few years ago and VA was in the top 10 least tax states while NC made the top 10 highest. But I'm not exactly sure how accurate those ratings are as each person's income, assets, and situation vary. I know my friend living in rural Patrick Co VA seemed astounded to learn where I live in WV there are no building fees or permits required nor zoning regulation, while he has to get permits for most everything he does, which information and value of course goes straight to the assessor.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
yep, seems like "tax friendly" recommendations vary greatly by the author of that particular article. One thing that I've come to learn is that "they get you, one way or the other".

WV does have some beautiful mountains for sure. Years ago I was into both whitewater rafting (New and Gauley Rivers) and atvs...both activities readily available in WV. I'm content now to just put around my property on atv's and haven't rafted in years.

Thanks again for the info. I really do think that proximity to the 81 corridor will be key for me.

greenacresnorth

Equipment
L2501,BH77
Feb 18, 2018
Morganton,NC
i moved from central Florida to the foothills of NC, little town called Morganton. property prices and taxes are half that of Florida. I bought 110 acres and a 3 year old timber frame house for less than $400,000 in a gated community. we get just enough snow to make it fun but not enough to be obnoxious. 45 min to 3 ski hills, 5 hours to the beach, 1.5 to a major hub airport. lots of hunting, fishing and gold prospecting withing minutes of the house.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
i moved from central Florida to the foothills of NC, little town called Morganton. property prices and taxes are half that of Florida. I bought 110 acres and a 3 year old timber frame house for less than $400,000 in a gated community. we get just enough snow to make it fun but not enough to be obnoxious. 45 min to 3 ski hills, 5 hours to the beach, 1.5 to a major hub airport. lots of hunting, fishing and gold prospecting withing minutes of the house.
That sounds perfect! What's the name of the community if you don't mind sharing? Saw one not long ago on High Rock lake. Nice property, nice log home too but only about 8 acres with it.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Dirty - I think you got excited and skipped right over it! :)
I was looking for the name of the community itself. It would appear that there are several in that area...not sure if its a HOA or not.

but yes, excited. Should give me something to focus on this winter.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I was looking for the name of the community itself. It would appear that there are several in that area...not sure if its a HOA or not.

but yes, excited. Should give me something to focus on this winter.

Oh, gotcha... I’m an ol’ redneck in the sticks. We don’t have no HOA’s.[emoji15]

It does sound promising....might be hogs there too. Meant to respond earlier that somewhere in just the last couple weeks I saw a map of hog populations, both current and years ago. Quite interesting.....

Happy “hunting!”[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: