Where does your tractor sleep?

SmallChange

Equipment
B6200D
Jun 14, 2018
Port Deposit, MD
I have a pole barn with plenty of room, bays 10' by 10' by 20' long, but the leaves blow into it and pile up there. The floor is dirt. I'm thinking of adding sliding doors to keep leaves out, but then that might make it pretty damp in there, and hasten rust. I'm wondering about floor treatments. Concrete pad? Is there a cheaper alternative that could still hold down the dampness from the ground? What happens if I drop gravel over a few layers of heavy plastic tarp? Could become a real mess, I fear...

One regrettable thing is that the ground slopes in there, running downhill from the entrance inward, so I have to maintain a bit of a drainage dip along the front.

There sure are some beautiful buildings with concrete floors I'm seeing in other people's posts. What's your machine's nest look like? What are your ideas?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Both of mine 'sleep' in a Clearspan Truss Arch building with a 15 foot overhead door on one end and a solid wall on the other. Building is 90 feet long by 43 wide by 17 feet high with a sand floor and no electricity. The tractors stay with various hay implements, my lawnmower and tillers and hand tools. There are also round bales stored inside and it's home to a couple cats that leave paw prints on the tractor hoods.

Life is good.... for the cats.:eek:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
There is no doubt that a concrete floor is really nice especially if you have implements that you'd like to put on dollies to move around. I have a new barn with concrete and I love it.

However when I first built a run in shed with the same sloping problem that you describe, I put down a crushed rock pad 6 to 12 inches deep to bring the level above grade, and then covered it with stall mats. It is nice and dry for hay storage and stable enough for two big horses to tromp around on it. Only problem I have had is wood chucks will try to tunnel under it occasionally, and I have to try to put the crushed rock back. I cover the sloping area in the entrance with the perforated type of stall mat, and have graded to encourage runoff to go around the shed as much as possible.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I had a barn built 20 years ago with electric running to it and a concrete floor. It's a gambrel style and lots of storage upstairs. I wish I had the overhead doors higher because when I have the back hoe on, I have to lower the boom to get it in or out.

Attachments

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
I had a slab poured in my pole barn and then added walls and two roll up doors. Initially, when I had my last tractor and no walls, either a rat or squirrel ate the wiring harness and I had to replace the entire harness.

That's why I have a floor, walls and doors. It's well lit, easy to sweep after I work on something and has allowed me to add several large pieces of equipment (hydraulic press, work benches, etc) that I can lock up and protect a lot better.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I had a barn built 20 years ago with electric running to it and a concrete floor. It's a gambrel style and lots of storage upstairs. I wish I had the overhead doors higher because when I have the back hoe on, I have to lower the boom to get it in or out.
Nice building. Around here (Michigan) putting up a building like that only serves to increase property taxes which, is why I have a Clearspan Truss Arch building. Under Michigan ordinances, any building not on a footer is considered 'portable' and not subject to a real estate tax assessment. Besides, the per square foot cost is about 1/4th of a constructed building and my tractors don't much care anyway.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
Sidecarflip, around here (MA) if you say it's a "barn" not a garage, the tax's are less.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
There is no doubt that a concrete floor is really nice especially if you have implements that you'd like to put on dollies to move around. I have a new barn with concrete and I love it.

However when I first built a run in shed with the same sloping problem that you describe, I put down a crushed rock pad 6 to 12 inches deep to bring the level above grade, and then covered it with stall mats. It is nice and dry for hay storage and stable enough for two big horses to tromp around on it. Only problem I have had is wood chucks will try to tunnel under it occasionally, and I have to try to put the crushed rock back. I cover the sloping area in the entrance with the perforated type of stall mat, and have graded to encourage runoff to go around the shed as much as possible.
I store my rounds (and squares) on 4 way plastic automotive pallets. Keeps it dry, off the sand floor and they stack up nicely too.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sidecarflip, around here (MA) if you say it's a "barn" not a garage, the tax's are less.
Makes sensr to me. My good friend lives in Maine and fo=r the longest time I didn't know what a 'door yard' was or 'Hottop' until he explained it to me

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I park it on concrete inside a 50X50X18 hangar....err...BARN! Yeh...BARN...THAT'S THE TICKET!

I have just this month completed a side-shed for implements and put 1" granite gravel in for a floor and am interested in that perforated stall-mat... Where is that found?

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Geohorn - stall mats can be found at any farm supply.

Tractor Supply even has them here too.

You will want to look for size of course, but also thickness. Some are solid, others perforated like sheep mentioned.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I park it on concrete inside a 50X50X18 hangar....err...BARN! Yeh...BARN...THAT'S THE TICKET!

I have just this month completed a side-shed for implements and put 1" granite gravel in for a floor and am interested in that perforated stall-mat... Where is that found?

I got it at TSC some years ago, but they didn't have any last time I was in. So I googled and they are still made. Maybe your TSC will have some or will order for you.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Its in a 30x40 pole building right next to the container with the adult beverages in it

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada

I'm thinking I could put my shipping container where mine sleeps inside your hanger and have double the protection.:D

Pote

Apr 3, 2019
'Murica
regarding Stall mats: wasnt there a big scare about recycled rubber and cancer at kids sports complexes? The were using pelletized recycled rubber layed into the artificial turf for pro stadiums, college stadiums and schools. It's the same recycled rubber, right?

Geohorn - stall mats can be found at any farm supply.

Tractor Supply even has them here too.

You will want to look for size of course, but also thickness. Some are solid, others perforated like sheep mentioned.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I have concrete, neighbor has stall mats. Either way, its nice to get off the dirt.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Whatcha got in the BARN, a 172?
Yes,... a '62 Cessna 172-C, just bought last year to train my step-son who wants to get his pvt certificate. He thought I would use my '53 Cessna 170-B (restored Oshkosh-winner) but he is definitely wrong about that!
If he does well and demonstrates proficiency in the 172... we'll consider transition-training to the tailwheel later on.

I was considering putting "marston" mat (war-time perforated steel landing mat) in the shed on top of the gravel but that stuff appears to be extinct.

Attachments

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Geo, you might check with a local rock quarry. Often times they'll have rolls of 4' wide mats they've retired at very cheap prices.