Help in change of latitude

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
My wife and I are planning to retire within another 2.5 years and want to begin searching for our next home. We’re both in our early 50’s and have been quite fortunate and made good choices. We’ve grown tired of the area in which we currently reside (both in terms of increased population and weather). As such, we’re hoping to find a vacation home (to become permanent) somewhere south of us in the mid-Atlantic region.

I’m looking for some suggested areas to begin checking out. I’d want to remain within approximately 8 hours driving distance from our current location (Lehigh Valley PA), perhaps along the I-81 corridor in western NC or VA). More specifically, we’d be looking for a place with some property (nothing huge, 10-20 acres would do, more would be fine as well), preferably wooded/mountain type.

Thus far, I’ve only briefly looked on Zillow to see what’s currently available in NC and VA. I think we’d want to be no further south than that. Eastern TN could also be a possibility, but I really haven’t seen anything of interest there lately.

We’re planning on taking some road trips to look around soon, we just need a few target areas to start the search. I work from home, so, if we found something sooner rather than later it would be fine.

If there are some areas that you’re familiar with and have some suggestions, I’d greatly appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks so much. :)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Nags Head is nice but you would have to move inland and have some pretty deep pockets

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I like the outer banks to visit, but I don't want to live near the shore. I want mountains.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Dirty deed, my late BiL grew up near you in Jim Thorpe. My late sis & him had a vacation home their. Lehiegh Valley is a pretty countryside . My Daughter & SiL lived in that house while he was up there on a union electrical job .
I would look further south . You can get commercial flights into Allentown so don't restrict yourself to drive time back to visit.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
You may wish to look at property near the Dan River in North Carolina if that's not too far south for you. Bear in mind that as you age (and hopefully you will) you may wish to stay fairly close to a town with medical services and perhaps even a hospital. Note that although most doctors take Medicare they are not obligated to do so and some doctors do not take new patients. Do your homework before jumping.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Dirty deed, my late BiL grew up near you in Jim Thorpe. My late sis & him had a vacation home their. Lehiegh Valley is a pretty countryside . My Daughter & SiL lived in that house while he was up there on a union electrical job .
I would look further south . You can get commercial flights into Allentown so don't restrict yourself to drive time back to visit.
So much has changed here within the past few years. Farm fields are being gobbled up and replaced with town homes developments and warehouses at a very rapid rate. The roads weren't built to handle the traffic either. It's quite sad. Yes, I use ABE any chance I get, it's just so much more convenient that I don't mind paying the up charge in airline tickets. The reason for the 8 hour drive is that I think we'll be doing a lot of back and forth until the vacation home becomes permanent.

You may wish to look at property near the Dan River in North Carolina if that's not too far south for you. Bear in mind that as you age (and hopefully you will) you may wish to stay fairly close to a town with medical services and perhaps even a hospital. Note that although most doctors take Medicare they are not obligated to do so and some doctors do not take new patients. Do your homework before jumping.
Understood. Just trying to find somewhere that we can still enjoy 4 seasons, but would really like to trim off a month or so on both ends of winter. We're just a little tired of wishing 5 months away every year.

Thank you all for your response. I have about two years or so to get this done (want to do it while still employed).

Clownpuncher

Aug 27, 2019
I live near Roanoke Va. I love it here. Originally from Upstate NY and it is definitely more mild here and we have the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
dirty - - I'm very poorly traveled and not a good traveler; you can take the boy off the farm...

I was looking at parts of WV from the air once, and thought it looked really attractive. I don't want cities, constant highways, etc. Some areas looked quite good. After some internet research; WV does have some economic issues, but we do in upstate NY also. Real estate prices in some areas are reasonable. Weather can be a WHOLE lot better than here..

I just went through Lehigh Valley area on my way to daughter's in downtown Philly. It seems to be growing quickly, at least what I saw from I-476....too many people....

That said, I have a co-worker, life-long local NYS resident that is looking at eastern TN, solely due to better cost of living (i.e., taxes) over other areas of the region. All of the areas they are looking at are relatively sparsely populated, and have better weather than here. Sounds similar to what you're looking for.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
dirty - - I'm very poorly traveled and not a good traveler; you can take the boy off the farm...

I was looking at parts of WV from the air once, and thought it looked really attractive. I don't want cities, constant highways, etc. Some areas looked quite good. After some internet research; WV does have some economic issues, but we do in upstate NY also. Real estate prices in some areas are reasonable. Weather can be a WHOLE lot better than here..

I just went through Lehigh Valley area on my way to daughter's in downtown Philly. It seems to be growing quickly, at least what I saw from I-476....too many people....

That said, I have a co-worker, life-long local NYS resident that is looking at eastern TN, solely due to better cost of living (i.e., taxes) over other areas of the region. All of the areas they are looking at are relatively sparsely populated, and have better weather than here. Sounds similar to what you're looking for.
Friends mother and step dad moved to eastern TN from Vermont. 1/4 the taxes and gorgeous country. Milder weather as well. Friends looking at moving out there in a few years after his youngest finishes high school.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Friends mother and step dad moved to eastern TN from Vermont. 1/4 the taxes and gorgeous country. Milder weather as well. Friends looking at moving out there in a few years after his youngest finishes high school.
Yeah - this guy has acreage and a couple horses. They love their horses. Sounds like property can be bought reasonable, and taxes aren't anything like New Yorkistan..

He has kids and grandkids here. Just don't know if he can make that move...translation, if the Mrs. will allow him to make that move..:eek:.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Yeah - this guy has acreage and a couple horses. They love their horses. Sounds like property can be bought reasonable, and taxes aren't anything like New Yorkistan..

He has kids and grandkids here. Just don't know if he can make that move...translation, if the Mrs. will allow him to make that move..:eek:.
My property taxes are 1/4 of what my friend pays in vermont. Similar lot sizes, similar sized homes. Mines a 2 bath instead of his 1.5 bathrooms. He has .5 more acres, basement gives him similar square footage, and he has about 1/3 more garage space.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
My property taxes are 1/4 of what my friend pays in vermont. Similar lot sizes, similar sized homes. Mines a 2 bath instead of his 1.5 bathrooms. He has .5 more acres, basement gives him similar square footage, and he has about 1/3 more garage space.

Don't give too much information away...we don't need no more yankees out here. :D

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
I was in Marion, Virginia last year. Very pretty.
When Interstate 81 was built 50+ years ago, US 11 and the towns it went through went to sleep.

Think Radiator Springs in the movie “Cars”

Had a newer looking hospital, small Veteran’s care facility, (like a doc in the box), lots of charm, and quaint shops...

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
He's like me. One of them good Yankees;) [emoji14] :D
Damn straight! I'm more redneck than most folks! I consider that a compliment.:)

Keep the gubbermint outta my business, property and my pocket!:D

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Damn straight! I'm more redneck than most folks! I consider that a compliment.:)

Keep the gubbermint outta my business, property and my pocket!:D
Amen brother!!!!!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Don't give too much information away...we don't need no more yankees out here. :D
Don’t forget, us Yanks gave you southerners a Butt Whooping once and could do it again if needed.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Thanks for the suggestions...still need to do some more research but wife is adamant about finding some tax friendly states. She's definitely more tax conscientious than I am at this point. Perhaps I just need to stay off of Zillow as I seem to be allowing the house/property influence my decision making process!!! :D

How far south does one need to be to find hogs? I haven't hunted in approx 10 years (I sort of lost interest in deer hunting) but, I think I would really enjoy hunting hogs, especially if it was on my own property. Can you find them with any regularity in the areas I'm interested in?

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
I live near Roanoke Va. I love it here. Originally from Upstate NY and it is definitely more mild here and we have the mountains.
Yes I would look into western VA. Personally I love Highland and Bath Counties and you'll have the large town of Harrisonburg not too far away. Or even farther south in Floyd, Patrick, Carroll, Grayson, or even Bland.

A little more west puts you in eastern WV which is also nice, Pocahontas, Pendleton, etc. One negative to WV (as well as much of southwest VA) is the economy. It's great to retire to but unfortunately not to earn a good living. Of course this wouldn't affect you and it actually keeps property affordable. Try to stay around 2,000' elevation and you'll avoid heat in Summer.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Yes I would look into western VA. Personally I love Highland and Bath Counties and you'll have the large town of Harrisonburg not too far away. Or even farther south in Floyd, Patrick, Carroll, Grayson, or even Bland.

A little more west puts you in eastern WV which is also nice, Pocahontas, Pendleton, etc. One negative to WV (as well as much of southwest VA) is the economy. It's great to retire to but unfortunately not to earn a good living. Of course this wouldn't affect you and it actually keeps property affordable. Try to stay around 2,000' elevation and you'll avoid heat in Summer.
Oliver, thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated.