New type of injectors

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Interesting indeed,, I wonder how long before it goes away never to be heard of again,, like so many other good ideas

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Interesting indeed,, I wonder how long before it goes away never to be heard of again,, like so many other good ideas
Probably not too long.

Issue I see is when you lean the mixture to a certain point in a diesel, bad things happen in the combustion chamber like excessive heat and aluminum pistons aren't tolerant of that.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
so does that mean at idle speed when very little fuel is injected that the engine is going to self-destruct? Assuming there is no throttle plate of course (which most pre-emission diesels didn't have them). Or maybe I don't understand a "lean mixture" with a diesel? There is no mixture...fuel is injected at/near TDC at which point it combusts almost instantly as it enters the cylinder.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Sheepfarmer, very interesting. Thanks for posting. How did you discover that link, or do you fly out to Albuquerque for meetings? You always keep up to date on the new engines and it intrigues me... esp. coming from a woman. You keep us grounded in many areas on this forum. Thanks.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Sheep, sorry this off the topic, but from the posts Ive read from you you seem to be on top of new things! Have you seen/heard of the mazda skyactiv x engine. Its a compression ignition gas engine (still uses spark plugs though to start combustion). Its been launched in europe. Dont know when its going to make it to the states. Ive been waiting for their diesel engine to arrive that they have been talking about since 2014. They did start shipping the diesel special tools this year though lol. When I bought my wifes 2019 cx5 it has the larger fuel door and the spot for the def fill port but still have yet to get a diesel one.

Also haven’t been scheduled for training on the sky x so I dont know when we may see it.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
No I have not, sounds interesting. Keep us posted! I only ran across the article by accident and so shared it.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
So it is a high compression motor. like a diesel? That would be interesting, though I wonder how they hold it together, gas vs diesel a lot more pop in one than the other I would think

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
one report says 'finiky'...aka EXPENSIVE to repair when it goes wrong. Big problem is the 'computer' and all the other sensors needed to maintain the engine is 'good,working order'. Heck the 'engineers' can't get simple ABS to work up here , how much faith do you put in them to get an engine to run right !??
Bad enough you have to replace rubber timing belts every 60K...'just in case'..

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
one report says 'finiky'...aka EXPENSIVE to repair when it goes wrong. Big problem is the 'computer' and all the other sensors needed to maintain the engine is 'good,working order'. Heck the 'engineers' can't get simple ABS to work up here , how much faith do you put in them to get an engine to run right !??
Bad enough you have to replace rubber timing belts every 60K...'just in case'..
Well good news for me! I’ll make money when it breaks :D

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
As I understand it, the "new" type injectors can be used, and would negate the use of the DPF and perhaps even SCR (aka DEF).

That would certainly be a BIG plus for us techs, and for those of us who own DEF/DPF tractors, trucks, mowers, etc. Those systems are BY FAR the most problematic parts of any of these newer tractors/trucks/etc.

But it depends....on how well or even IF a computer is able to control the new injection properly and still be able to maintain tier 4 emissions standards for the horsepower. ......And soon Tier 5 ;)

The whole ordeal has gotten a lot of folks pretty mad at the EPA, which is the root of the issue (at least here in the states). Personally, if you ask me, it's time to consider a gas burning engine in a few tractors that are under, say, 50hp. They're simpler and can absolutely make the same power & torque. Kubota, for instance, already has a gas burner version of one of their approximately 30hp diesels, that makes roughly the same horsepower and MORE torque, at the same RPM and not a lot more fuel consumption. Could you imagine how much less that could cost if it were as popular as, say the L2501? The motor's already produced for other applications. For a lot of our customers who don't need anything larger than 40hp, this would be ideal for them. Only issue, it would need to be EFI which is still simpler and less expensive than common rail diesel of the same horsepower (above 25hp). I personally believe that time has come to try to market one gas tractor and see how it goes. It might be a hit or might be a flop but I honestly think based on the popularity (and reason for it's popularity) of the L2501 that it would be a hit--at least in this area.