Pat's Quick Hitch Help

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Guys, I need some assistance here. I installed the Pat's Cat 1 Quick Hitch on my B3200 earlier this year and I'm having a couple issues with them. I've reached out to Pat's but have not gotten a response back from them.

First issue, the levers you move in to position to hold the spring loaded locks in place are loose, way loose. I can bend them down so they rub across the top of the connector, but as soon as you engage the PTO they vibrate off and swing free. I think this is leading to my second issue.

When I use my Woods RC5 brush hog, I have issues on uneven rolling ground where the left side (standing behind the tractor) pin will pop out of the Pat's hitch. I don't think it is a pin diameter issue since it fits snug in to the Kubota's 3pt connector. Yes I do have the locking clips inserted on the Wood's pins along with the large washers that came with the Pat's connectors.

I've tried a couple things to resolve first off trying to bend that plate that prevents the lock lever from lifting up. Just can't get it tight. The other thing I've done is to make sure that the Pat's hitch is square to the Woods pin so it is not at an angle. This seems to help but she still pops out on me.

Anything I am missing here or could try?

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
Are the springs not tight when you swing the levers over ???

Honestly, I don't think mine would pop off even if I didn't use the lock levers

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
There are springs on the lever you lift up that lock over the pins, but none on the L shaped bracket you put under the lever to hold it open. These move freely. I'll take some pictures or video and try to post later this evening to what I am seeing.

gssixgun

Equipment
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
I just went out and looked at my Cat 1 closely even took a Caliper out there

The springs on the Pat's catches are pretty tight like I mentioned on my last post, I don't think they would pop even without the lock levers in place..

The Pins on my Snowblower and Back Blade measure at exactly 7/8 or .875"

The opening on the Pats measures at 1.10"

I am including the exact sizes so you can make sure that everything on yours is matched to spec.

I wanted to make a vid but it just wasn't happening so I did the next best thing..

This is my Pat's the instant before the "Click" and it is a very distinct lock from the spring with just a tiny bit of lift.

Once it clicks in the spring kind of pushes against the Lock when you swing it over the Lever..

Looking close at mine pretty much leaves me with the idea that one of two things makes sense to me

One, The springs are REALLY bad
Two, The pins on your implement were changed to Cat 0 ??? which are 5/8

The Locking levers slipping off can be remedied with two Zip Ties to test what is going on right now..

JMHO

Last edited:

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Thanks for the pictures and measurements gssixgun. If it is still light when I get home I'll hike out to where the Woods is stored and check out those pin diameters. The spring is pretty tight as I remember so not much else it could be, other than somehow a Cat 2 quick hitch was put in a Cat 1 box. At the least I can measure up the quick hitch as it sits in the garage. You may be on to something with that pin diameter on the Woods.

gssixgun

Equipment
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
I checked mine and it looks very different than yours. The throat gap is exactly 1" and is a casting. Yours appears to be fabricated from rolled stock. Where was your's sourced from? Mine looks like this:

https://www.agrisupply.com/pats-quick-hitch-category-1/p/70078/

I wonder if yours was modified to accept Cat 2 pins?

I am assuming you are asking me since mine is the only pic up there :)

Mine were purchased from a member here, they are originally purchased from Northern Tools. probably in 2012

They came in the original box with the original instructions

Honestly, I am not sure how a Cat 2 "Pats" would even mount on a Cat 1 3pt

Wouldn't the mounting pins be 1 1/8" vs 7/8" ??

MINICUP28

Equipment
B7610, KX-018, RTV-500, JD X758
Feb 21, 2019
COBLESKILL, NY
When you measured 1.1" I thought it had been modified closer to CAT 2 dim.
It might be of help to talk to Pat's to identify the vintage from your photos and the original dimensions. Since any unhappy owner is negative online publicity, ask them if they will give you a discount on a new set of "correct" dimensions.
I am very happy with mine and glad I never went Quick Hitch.

gssixgun

Equipment
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
When you measured 1.1" I thought it had been modified closer to CAT 2 dim.
It might be of help to talk to Pat's to identify the vintage from your photos and the original dimensions. Since any unhappy owner is negative online publicity, ask them if they will give you a discount on a new set of "correct" dimensions.
I am very happy with mine and glad I never went Quick Hitch.

I think you might be confused, I am having zero issues with mine..

Haven't since I bought it, the OP is having an issue with his.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I did not make it out to measure anything last night. Came down with a pretty bad cold and with my head pounding, I opted for some cold meds and sleep when I got home last night. I'll see how I feel here this afternoon when I get home from work.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Made it home with some daylight left so I was able to get some measurements. The pins on the Woods are
.875 inch in diameter. Both sides are the same. My Pats is stamped CAT 1 so no concerns there and the throat on the hitch is
.987 inch.

The springs on both sides are nice and tight on the Pats. I may borrow my kids GoPro and mount it on the rear to see how this thing is coming loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I am following this topic closely because I just bought and installed Pat's on one tractor and have the yet uninstalled kit for the other tractor. I have not had and opportunity to use the installed Pat's yet.

Scout2501

Nov 15, 2019
Camden, sc
Hey first post here, but I have had the pats qh for a few years now. I bent the L bracket down a bit so it would not slip off off of the spring loaded locking arm. Hope that makes sense.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I’m gonna do a couple mods this afternoon. Bending that bracket down is one of them. The second is to make sure I have that arm so the Pats hook is lifted as far up as possible if that makes sense

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I'm not sure I understand the entire problem. The pins on my mower have Pat's washers on them and they're held in place by lynch pins or whatever you call them. Pat's hitch goes between the washer and the frame of the mower. Properly installed I don't see how it could come off the pin even if it wanted to. I took pictures and hope they attached properly. As far as the hold down tabs I think their primary purpose is to ensure the hitch is held open while connect the tractor to the implement. Once connected they are rotated out of the way and the hitch closed. I don't know that they actually hold the hitch closed, the latch must be lifted against a spring to release the pins. The pins pushing up against the latch would not release it as it takes more of a sliding motion to the rear to release. I bought my Pat's Hitch last July and it is of the newer cast variety.

Attachments

Last edited:

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I have the washers installed on mine as well, but 180 out from what you have. I'll change that up and see if it makes a difference. Won't be until this weekend since it is dark now by the time I get home

B3350orbust

Equipment
B3350, 72” Bush Hog, 72” box blade, 72” grader blade, 48” King Kutter tiller,
Nov 27, 2019
Long Bottom, Ohio
The swinging bracket on mine is slightly bent forward and has a slight drag. At worst use one of those tiny bungees.
I needed a couple washers and didn’t want to wait for them to be shipped. I went to tsc and picked up two washers ID 1” x OD 2 1/4”. I drilled them then bent them over. They are bigger than the washers that came with the hitch and work better. I won’t ever buy pats washers again.
I do love the hitch system, they are the best attachment I own.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Good call on the washers. Camping weekend no Orange here.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Wanted to come back and do an update because I was still having this issue a few weeks back and I figured out what was causing it. On the lower arms there is the adjustment to let them spread apart to fit wider implements. Mine were set way too loose allowing the 3-Pt to swing and flex a lot. I had the issue with my box blade when grading the driveway and the lower arm popping out. Stopped, hooked everything back up and not sure what made me start playing with that lower adjustment, but tightening those arms up and giving them less swing really did the trick. No issues at all with the brush hog where it used to come out as well.

Reactions: 1 user