tree removed, how do I turn to grass?

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
had a mature oak removed about 3 years ago, stump was ground below grade. What's left is this area where nothing grows, prob 15x15. First time doing this, can someone give me the run down how to make it green, not going for golf course here.

do I need to scrape up an inch or two of that, then drop in a load of top soil? how do i figure out how much top soil I need? if i have to remove any material how much do i need to take out? I have a tooth bar for my little 48" bucket if that helps.

thanks gents

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I've redone a bunch of that stuff recently.

Honestly, a small patch might take a couple/few bags of topsoil from Lowe's or home Depot. I also like peat moss. Bulk topsoil is great, but sometimes I find I spend more time getting it than a big bag of peat moss at Lowe's. ... Either way, spread it around the spot, then rake it in a little.

Then seed (I just broadcast by hand) and rake just a little to set the seed. spread some lime and fertilizer, then cover with shedded straw. If no straw use crappy hay.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Have the soil tested. My bet is it's really acidic, or just plain baron. Oaks are hard on the soil.

I have about 20 of them in the front yard. Neighbor and I have been fighting to get grass to grow in an area between our two properties. The issue is baron soil bordering on being hard pan, and highly acidic. I add palletized lime stone to the area every year and have been slowly getting the grass to thicken up and start creeping into the bare spots..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I'd take more than 1" off, maybe more like 3 or 4 inches.

For a 15 X 15 area 3" deep, it will take about 2 cubic yards of topsoil.

Not sure how many cu. ft. are in a bag of topsoil, maybe 2 cu. ft.
There are 27 cu. ft. in a cubic yard, so you're looking at ~25 bags.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I'd take more than 1" off, maybe more like 3 or 4 inches.

For a 15 X 15 area 3" deep, it will take about 2 cubic yards of topsoil.

Not sure how many cu. ft. are in a bag of topsoil, maybe 2 cu. ft.
There are 27 cu. ft. in a cubic yard, so you're looking at ~25 bags.
thanks DL!
i can get a few yards delivered. i just wasnt sure if i had to scoop some out first before putting down new top soil.

the lime is a good idea too...

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I wanted to thank you guys and share the results. It is difficult to see under all the new leaves that just fell, but now have grass in these once large bare places where I had oak trees removed, I had about 4 of these to do.

Following the advice, used the tooth bar scooped out many buckets of wood shavings, then down about 3". Got 10 yards of top soil delivered, and filled them back in, grass is finally showing up :) first time ever doing a 'lawn repair' project like this, and it is great to see the results.

Last edited:

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I'm going to have to do the same thing in the spring, I had a large poplar tree removed from in front of my house. It had been struck by lightning 15 years ago which had blown all the bark off and area about a foot wide and 20 feet up the trunk. Eventually it began to rot and I have been concerned about a good west wind bringing it down onto the house.
The tree service ground the stump down 4 or 5 inches below grade, but the tree had created a mound around it, and it needs to have 6 inches or so more removed to make it level. I raked out a couple of FEL buckets full of the shavings and used it for mulch around the concrete pad at the door to my shop.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Yup, the shaving will make great mulch after it goes through it's compost cycle, but it will never replace soil. Even after backfilling with soil, the remaining stump will probably rot and sink after a few years so more soil will be needed to bring the spot back to grade.

I have some that even after 30 years occasionally need additional soil.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
My front lawn had 3 huge Spruce trees, which died. Went to replace with sod, and old farmer cross the road said "plant tomatoes", which I did, about 80 of them. well the tomatoes sucked all the acid up and gave GREAT bushels of toms, next spring 'top dressed' the area, rolled out sod, watered and it's been great for 15-16 years.

Lime would have worked but $$ an dno return unlike tomatoes !