b21 clutch

clucks

Equipment
b21
Mar 22, 2009
surrey bc
Hi all,

Great site...Actually inspired me to tackle the replacement of the clutch in my B21 (well, the $3000 quote I got my a local dealer kinda helped also). I have to say I was heart broken when it failed, understand that this tractor would be parked in my living room if my wife would let me! 2004, with 850 hours (I've owned her for the last 200 hours or so). The dealer had never heard of similar failures and were blown away by the wear on the shaft. A smooth notch almost in each of the splines that tapered out towards the other side, eventually taking out all the splines on the clutch disk (all other components were in excellent shape, although I still replaced everything). Before it failed, I was in high gear, not under load when it started to make a grinding noise. I stopped, geared down, proceeded to move forward when it finally blew out the splines on the disk.

I've got about 10 hours of light work (moving dirt around my farm) since repairing a couple of weekends back. I had her out today, running around out back in high gear when I heard a sound that sounded an awful lot like the one just before it failed last time. I tried to duplicate it with no success in low/med, just high. Disengaging the clutch stops it.

I realize that its pretty difficult to judge without hearing or seeing, but does anyone have any thoughts to something I may have overlooked? I'm cringing at the thought of having to split her again.

Michael

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL1801 Sadly I sold it and a T1400 lawn tractor
Mar 11, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington USA
Did you have the flywheel resurfaced and replaced the pilot bearing? If these are not done it can cause abnormal wear to the clutch.

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Hello clucks, welcome to the site and thanks for posting your question. Also, good on ya for tackling a repair yourself - splitting a tractor is a lot of work!

This part here:

clucks said:
the $3000 quote I got my a local dealer kinda helped also
made me laugh. If you are in Surrey then I know what "local dealer" you are referring to. Was down there the other day actually and they were busy busy.

Anyway, regarding your problem at hand - I do not know personally, BUT, Vic might. I've left him a message to come in from the shop when he gets a chance and to look at and recommend on your situation. Hang in there, we'll get you sorted. :)

clucks

Equipment
b21
Mar 22, 2009
surrey bc
Yes Michael, resurfaced the flywheel and replaced the pilot bushing, along with all new bearings, seals, release bearing/ holder and spring. I figured if I was going in, I was doing everything. I am going to take her out later today and see if that noise reappears, and if so that it is absolutely coming from the clutch housing.

Well Mr. K...in defense of that " local dealer" (not that I want to ), it was quite the job. Lucky enough I have a friend who is a HD mechanic with all the goods to make it happen, just the same it took the two of us had about 16-18 hours (at least two were wasted on trying to bolt on that oil line to the gearbox through the little access holes of the center frame- bad mistake not to connect prior to rejoining). Oh well, I learned a whole bunch about that little machine.

clucks

Equipment
b21
Mar 22, 2009
surrey bc
Thanks for the insight Vic. Seems my # (62639) does not have the same input shaft support as part # 32721-12100. Avenue said there was a number of repeated replacements and service bullitens on this issue for and my machine was the 2nd to last series by serial #'s.

Thought I'd throw in a little pic of what the worn clutch shaft looked like for anyone else that may come across this issue, the pics a little blury, but you can see how the wear tapers.

clutch shaft.jpg

As I mentioned in my previous post I had a heck of a time bolting in the oil line to the gear box after rejoining, so when i realized that I had an oil leak due to a couple of missing o rings on a particular "oil line flange", I decided to cut myself a little 4x4" access hole on the front top of the center frame -figured this was acceptable as I'm just a farm kid :). Is there any way to test that bearing on the tranny input shaft without splitting? I did notice that there is forward/ back play in the propeller shaft (maybe 1/4" tops).

I had her out today, runs fine, no noise at all rpms and gears ...just wish I would've joined into this site before I had put this little machine back together.