G 2160 Fuel pump

PoppyW01

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Feb 17, 2019
Fayette, Alabama
Bought a G 2160 pretty cheap. It had been sitting for a couple of years according to previous owner, who said it needed a starter. It did cause he had taken the old one off and lost it. Got it home, had surgery, Christmas ect. Been working on it for the past few weekends, between floods. New filters, fluids and fuel. New starter and battery. Today I turned it over for a second and cranked up and purred until it ran out of fuel. The fuel pump works if I unplug the wires and jury it to 12 volts. It gets no power from the tractor.

Is there a fuse, relay or something or just have to track down a short? The 4 fuses under the dash are good, all dash lights come on except temp which hasn't had need to come on yet. The shut off solenoid works as I think it's supposed to. It will crank without me sitting on the seat.

Thanks for any and all suggestions

Wayne

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Wayne, I don't have manuals for that model. But here's what I would do.

The fuel pump should be grounded, so check that.

There should be a positive conductor to the fuel pump, probably red. It may go through a couple of connections to one of the fuses, or directly to the key switch. I would eyeball and finger the conductor(s) to find out how it is supposed to get power.

More than likely a connection is loose or corroded. It is not a complicated machine so a visual inspection and voltmeter should get you there.

When you get a schematic (from a WorkShop Manual [WSM]) the other thing to check is the safety switches, because it sounds like they have been jimmied possibly.

PoppyW01

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Feb 17, 2019
Fayette, Alabama
Thanks for the reply Jim. The pump has 2 wires to it. The tractor has been sitting in PO yard, uncovered for years. It is the DirectShoot model and it looks like they tried to back it up out of stuck with all the dirt and dust on everything at the back. Just fine powder dust and some grass. That's possibly where my issue originated.

I have a WS manual with a diagram but hard for a dim witted layman to figure everything out on it! Headed to the couch to study it until the Sand man has his way with me.

Thanks again!

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
You've got a diagram, that's good news!

Another tip then. Make a copy of the diagram. Take a highliter and mark the conductor(s) from the pump to the battery. Should show where the fuse, key switch, etc., are encountered as you later trace the physical conductor from the pump. This will simplify things from the spaghetti ball of the entire diagram.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The fuel pump is controlled by a computer, ECM of sorts.
The pump is not case grounded, Black is - ground and RL is the positive +.
Check for any ECM fuses.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Used to have one of those, rear discharge. Loved most of it. Hated the bagger and the power steering. Mine had KRA.

This is going off of memory, so bear with me....and verify with the WSM.

Anyway....the fuel pump is fed directly from the key switch through the red/white wire. Black wire grounds the pump. Look for power on both sides of the 10A fuse. It should be battery voltage. If ok, you'll have to go through your wiring. If voltage at the fuse is low, likely suspect ignition switch. Check voltage at the fuel pump with the pump connected by back probing the connector, key on of course. If voltage is low, you have a wiring issue-corrosion, etc somewhere in the harness. If zero voltage you likely have a broken wire somewhere.

Lots of times the harness connectors will get corrosion on their pins and cause issues, so sometimes when I've got one exhibiting weird issues, I will wiggle the connectors. A lot of times stuff starts working--and that's a dead giveaway. If that's the case, decouple the connector, clean each of the pins, apply some dielectric grease and then slide the connector back together. These machines are aging so be careful with the plastic parts as they tend to get a little on the brittle side with age.

PoppyW01

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Feb 17, 2019
Fayette, Alabama
Thanks!

Looking at the diagram and the fuse page in the book, the fuel pump, headlights and power steering all work of of the 10 amp fuse. Headlights don't come on but not sure if the unbroken bulb is good or not. Can't check the power steering but kinda think its gonna be something in that circuit. Diagram shows a 3A diode in what I think is that circuit. Is that the fuse or something different? This one has KRA.

Raining here like a cow peeing through a pole bridge. Mower is tarped on a work platform right now. Shop was full when I bought it and wanted it off the ground to work on it so I unloaded it on the platform. Weatherman claims it will stop in a couple of hours. Gonna try to check it out then. I'll check the headlights with a meter first, move on to checking plugs and tracing wires.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Diagram shows a 3A diode in what I think is that circuit. Is that the fuse or something different?
Diodes in this context are there to allow current to flow in one direction only. They fail either fully open or short-circuited. They should not be a fuse.

The lamp bulb can be checked out of circuit by applying the ohmmeter leads to the bulb terminals. Resistance says that the bulb is probably OK, an open says it is burned out.

Since neither headlights nor fuel pump work, I would head first to that fuse. If the fuse is OK, then look at the path between the fuse and the battery.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Check the fuse with your ohm meter. Just unplugging and reconnecting the fuse may improve the connection in it shows good.

PoppyW01

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Feb 17, 2019
Fayette, Alabama
Pulled the suspect fuse with switch on, dash,ights went off and the shut of switch shut off. I didn***8217;t get any power to the light bulbs. Turned too cold to to continue since my fingers don***8217;t work as well as they could in cold small places.

Here***8217;s the diagram if I can figure out how to upload.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Good news is that you got the diagrams to post. Too small for me to read, unfortunately.

No matter. I would place the headlight switch in the ON position and the key switch in ON also. There should be a connector for the headlights close to their housing that you can check for 12V. Careful not to short the 12V to ground with the probe. If you can't get in there with the probe then use a paper clip or bare wire to get into the connector shell. Negative probe to ground or battery neg. If it is not +12V, or the bulb, then it can only be the neg conductor.

The reason I would start with the headlight is that if the problem is a connector, you might kill two birds with one stone.