B2601 Dynamo question

Pknpwr

Equipment
B2601, z122r
Nov 18, 2018
Staples Mn
New to the forum here but in my search for a compact tractor I have read alot of informative answers on here.
Yesterday we started paperwork on a b2601 with loader, cab and three point blower with hydraulic rotate and electric deflector. My question is that with an original equipment Dynamo (I have seen on here threads about alternator upgrades) have enough power for lights on tractor, led lights on cab, actuator on blower and heater blower in cab? Granted the deflector is not running all the time but I am still curious what everyones thoughts might be.
Also was thinking of making a belly blade of some sort if anyone had any ideas on that also.

Thanks

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
New to the forum here but in my search for a compact tractor I have read alot of informative answers on here.
Yesterday we started paperwork on a b2601 with loader, cab and three point blower with hydraulic rotate and electric deflector. My question is that with an original equipment Dynamo (I have seen on here threads about alternator upgrades) have enough power for lights on tractor, led lights on cab, actuator on blower and heater blower in cab? Granted the deflector is not running all the time but I am still curious what everyones thoughts might be.
Also was thinking of making a belly blade of some sort if anyone had any ideas on that also.

Thanks

Did you see that your new machine is limited in amps or read it somewhere or salesman say? here is a spec sheet on your tractor, unless something is listed that is not standard

https://tractorsinfo.com/kubota-b26...ion-price-specs-and-review/#Electrical_System

40 amps will light up damn near anything!;):)

Pknpwr

Equipment
B2601, z122r
Nov 18, 2018
Staples Mn
It is not a factory cab it is a Curtis . I thought the dealership told me when you go to the 2650 you get a Kubota cab.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Curtis is a joke.

Better off with the 2650 OE cab option. WAY better off!!!

I sell/service tons of curtis stuff, commonplace on Mules and RTV's. Did ONE B series cab and never again....thing was back in the shop more times than I can count. They still use the dynamo, and they're 'adequate', but BARELY. If you are charging your phone, it's inadequate. If you make frequent short trips, it's inadequate. It needs to be an internally regulated 40A (minimum) alternator like the B2650 comes with, factory, but in doing so the dynamo wiring is too small and doesn't have the proper voltage sensing connection, so the wiring harness has to be either replaced or modified.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I saw on a PDF file I had downloaded from Kubota comparing the 2601 to the 2025r

Here is a link to download that comparison.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAKegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw2Uh-gqZdvtb0f9ExR__UcH

I intend on asking the dealership about it cause I'd rather it had the alternator on it.
I agree the Kubota spec sheet for non cab tractors ( or aftermarket cabs) shows a dynamo with 11.5 amp output.

It also shows a JD and a Mahindra model with 40 to 50 amp alternator for comparison.

If you want to up the output, consider a DENSO one wire alternator. Simple to install if you can mount it.

Here is a link to a 35 amp one for $39.99 with free shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ALTERN...=item3faddda4cd:g:PhkAAOSw3YJZVJCr:rk:31:pf:0

On ebay.com you will see DENSO's with much larger output. Resist the temptation as you can run into issues driving the larger ones because of your existing V belt arrangement + I expect the size of the alternator increases some with increased output.

Dave

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
Those are Chinese copies of the Denso alternator. I have to say that 11 months later, the alternator conversion was worth the expense. My battery is always at full charge no matter if I am running it for a short while or half the day.

Pknpwr

Equipment
B2601, z122r
Nov 18, 2018
Staples Mn
After 15 hours of operation all at night (granted that's not alot of hours) I have not had any battery problems at all. It still whirls over great. One dealer that I had talked to said that they sell a few bx's set up the same as my 2601 and they have not had any problems. It's possible that I may have been worrying about nothing but I do appreciate the replies on the subject!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Those are Chinese copies of the Denso alternator. I have to say that 11 months later, the alternator conversion was worth the expense. My battery is always at full charge no matter if I am running it for a short while or half the day.
Please read this press report concerning DENSO.

It would seem being made in China is part of the DENSO plan.

DENSO to Expand and Relocate Technical Center in China

Dave

Apr 10, 2012

KARIYA (Japan) - To expand its business in the growing Chinese market, DENSO Corporation will expand and relocate its technical center, which is located in Shanghai and serves as part of DENSO's regional headquarters in China. DENSO's technical center will employ more than twice as many people as it does now, with about 7.2 billion yen to be invested by the end of fiscal year ending March 2014. The technical center is scheduled to start operations at its new site in June 2013.

"With this expansion, we aim to improve customer service and product competitiveness by designing more products locally and offering more market-specific designs," said Yasushi Yamanaka, executive director in charge of DENSO's Engineering Research and Development Center.

As part of this relocation and expansion, the new technical center will add large test facilities including a wind tunnel to upgrade its product design and development capabilities.

Since establishing its first Chinese production company in Yantai, Shandong, DENSO has increased the number of companies in the country to meet the growing market needs. Currently, DENSO has 22 production companies in China producing a variety of products including automotive air-conditioning systems, engine control components, fuel injection components, alternators, starters, and car navigation systems. In addition to the Shanghai Technical Center, DENSO has another development base, DENSO Software Shanghai Co., Ltd., in Shanghai which develops software for mass-produced products, mainly for car navigation systems.

DENSO Corporation, headquartered in Kariya, Aichi prefecture, Japan, is a leading global automotive supplier of advanced technology, systems and components in the areas of thermal, powertrain control, electric, electronics and information and safety. Its customers include all the world's major carmakers. Worldwide, the company has more than 200 subsidiaries and affiliates in 35 countries and regions (including Japan) and employs approximately 120,000 people. Consolidated global sales for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2011, totaled US$37.7 billion. Last fiscal year, DENSO spent 9.3 percent of its global consolidated sales on research and development. DENSO common stock is traded on the Tokyo and Nagoya stock exchanges. For more information, go to www.denso.com/global/en/, or visit our media website at www.densomediacenter.com

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Denso is generally pretty good stuff-but you pay for it.

Chinese doesn't mean poor quality. They CAN build nice/good stuff, the problem is who buys what. We here in the USA generally wander to the cheaper end of things if there's a choice, and this isn't just at the personal level....manufacturers if they can save a dime, you bet that they're going to! And because of that, they like to source what they can, that will get through the warranty period-and then some-as cheap as possible, and that usually means it comes from China. China's become famous for supplying the rest of the world with cost-cutting goods, and unfortunately also famous for copying known-good quality items with items that "look" identical (externally) yet are the absolute cheapest, poorest quality garbage that can be had--and that's where they get a bad rap.

The dynamo's are cheap, they're dirt simple, and they work for their intended purpose. I like them. Nothing ever goes wrong with them other than the bearings every so often, and they're like $12 (or $8 for chinese) for the pair, and anyone with a wrench can replace them. The alternator on the other hand is considerably more complex and not just anyone can fix them depending on what's wrong with them, and some of then require more than a few hand tools to repair...that and they can get quite expensive.

One wire? Most of them are sub-par. They are designed mostly for those that choose to easily install one where another type of generator/alternator was. Easy isn't always best. Stick with a traditional multi-wire, they do better at low speeds. Why? They have a sensing wire....which is basically a wire from somewhere in the harness that "tells" the regulator what the charge voltage is, so that the regulator can adjust to loads better. Most of the Denso multi-wire alternators that Kubota uses will charge the battery at 14v, at all the way down to around 350-400 engine RPM. That is impressive for an alternator.

Lycomech96

Equipment
B2601, loader, backhoe
Nov 12, 2018
Williamsport, PA, USA

Thanks
I posted this before. Go for it.

I just did an alternator upgrade on my B2601. Get an alternator (For Kubota) on Amazon for $62.95. Order the two pin prewired plug that goes on the two terminals for about $10.00 or shop your local auto parts store for that item.
I ordered parts for an earlier B2650 which came with an alternator.
I needed a new fan belt, alternator adjusting bracket and the lower mount bolt.
Drill out the lower mounting hole on the engine to 25/64". You will need a short drill motor or an air powered drill. Start with a smaller drill bit and work your way up to the finished size.
Get the hole straight so you don't put undue strain on it when tightening up that lower bolt.
You'll also need to make a bushing with a hole the same size as the one you just drilled. Make the bushing 3/4" long so you'll have good belt alignment. Install it between the alternator and the mount hole. You could use a stack of washers here but.....

Remove the regulator. Jumper the red/white and black/red wire by installing two spade terminals on a short wire. Don't cut the plug off. That isn't necessary. Just tape it up.
Note: The black/red wire is switched power. The red/white wire goes to pin H of the safety switch relay box and brings power to that box so your operator presence control (OPC) works correctly.

I put a voltmeter on mine and just ignore the red warning light. I know there is a way to wire the warning light up but I need a better schematic diagram to figure it out. The one in the B2601 manual is useless (at least as far as the one available online is concerned.)
Connect the alternator output to the hot terminal on the starter. I got the field wire connected to the 5 amp fuse for "rear work light" which I didn't use on my tractor.

I get 14.4 volts at idle and with all my lights turned on it only drops .1 of a volt to 14.3.
I have a 25 inch light bar facing front, two 8 inch ones facing back and two small cubes style on the rear fenders. I accidentally turned on the large once during daytime and saw the dynamo wasn't able to keep up with the demand as the voltmeter showed a continuous drop to below 12.3 volts by the time I noticed it was on.
That's when I knew I needed to ditch the dynamo and regulator. The whole alternator upgrade can be done for around $110 or less.
If you need more info, PM me.

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Others can decide if this is useful info or not for owners wishing more output from a dynamo with minimal work.

Some John Deere dynamo models have 3 wire output and appear to be the same in size and form as the 2 wire Kubota one.

The JD outputs 35 amps while the Kubota outputs 14 amps.

The regulator/rectifier would have to be changed as well.

Feedback please

Dave

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
Pknpwr, you bought B2601 new (great tractor) then added a new Curtis Cab, any reason you did not get a B2650 with the factory cab.

Pknpwr

Equipment
B2601, z122r
Nov 18, 2018
Staples Mn
I had originally was looking at a 1025r when this whole thing started then I went to a bx . Was on a pretty tight budget and niether the BX or 1025r impressed me as they seemed to lite weight (was buying a tractor for blowing and pushing snow mostly). The salesman had me try a 2601 and I was more impressed and then comparison between that and a 2025r (mostly a three speed hydro was the deal breaker). The 2601 was about 40 bucks more per month then I wanted to spend but in the end was worth it. I'm not sure I remember correctly but the 2650 was a lot more.

I will say the Curtis cab is a pretty sad cab in tightness but it keeps the snow off and the heater works well but needs more duct work.

Figured if I put more then 10 hours in summer I'd be impressed. Hard to justify spending thousands extra for the AC for that amount of time. But it sure would be nice

All of this was for stepping up from a cub cadet lawn mower with a blower.
And the wife also said I should go with the bigger one

Last edited:

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
Good process of elimination, the B2601 sounds like a great fit for you

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Why anyone would spend over $100 for an ebay dynamo that doesn't actually replace the Kubota one without lots of extra work/parts/regulator …. than to spend only $62 for a new (Amazon) Kubota 40 Amp alternator conversion is beyond me. The Kubota alternator has an internal regulator and only needs to be mounted per the Kubota conversion instructions.