L2550 seat support mechanism shot

BruceM

Equipment
L2550D
Sep 19, 2018
Concho, AZ
I'm the proud new (2nd) owner of an 1989 L2550. It's in working order but for some rear axle and transmission seal leaks which I'm tackling in addition to general service and restoration.

One problem I'd love some help with is the seat supporting mechanism. The three 3/8" shafts which provide support and pivot points have all wallowed out very large holes in the stamped steel supporting piece, and worn the shafts badly. All three shafts are hopelessly rust-frozen and can't be driven out. This dashed my hopes for refurbishing the assembly by new shafts and welded in bushings. The seat wobbles so much side to side that it's quite alarming.

I was wondering if someone might have already come up with a fix, such as some affordable generic tractor seat support? The Kubota seat parts prices I looked up at messicks.com were nuts. Just the upper plate (that the seat fastens to via two brackets an a shaft) was $178.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Bruce, welcome. I'm not aware of any replacement brackets. Partly because there are so many different arrangements.

If your seat is in good condition I'd advise to cut, grind, drill, weld.....whatever it takes to the tubing and bush the holes so they last forever.

If your seat needs attention, you might start with a replacement seat. Then you may not need some of the rusted parts.

Here's an aftermarket seat I put on a B7100. I removed the entire sliding mechanism and used what was on the seat I bought.

You have to have 5 post to be able to post a picture on this forum as a measure of protection. So, ask a few more questions to get your count up, then post a picture or two of your predicament. You'll get better feedback with pictures!!

Attachments

BruceM

Equipment
L2550D
Sep 19, 2018
Concho, AZ
Thanks d2cat. The original seat suspension is so badly rusted and worn out I'm having thoughts about a generic aftermarket seat with suspension, and making my own mount for the transmission hump, since they are designed for flat plate mounting.

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
I wonder if anyone knows if the seat slides and attached seat bracket that I took off my B2410 could help him out... The Mfg. date for the "B" was in 2000?

BruceM

Equipment
L2550D
Sep 19, 2018
Concho, AZ
I agree, Mikester, I don't think Kubota's best engineering skills went into the seat suspension on the L2550. I can't justify the time for a rebuild of my old one.

Thanks for thinking of me re: your B seat support hardware, Butch. Alas, the transmission hump seat mount of the L series is not the same as the B's.

I did take a gander at seat-warehouse. Quite a selection. Thanks Rentthis, for this helpful resource!

Meanwhile I'm going to go measure up the seat space for this very inexpensive seat with suspension that got decent reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Tisco-Ts1060...6130&sr=1-22&keywords=tractor+seat+suspension

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That Blue seat is really going to clash with the orange tractor. :eek:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Bruce check that (blue Amazon) seat out in person at Tractor Supply or similar store. I put one on an L2050 and I felt like I was setting way too high. Just the way it mounts.

BruceM

Equipment
L2550D
Sep 19, 2018
Concho, AZ
I'm concerned about the height of that blue seat design also. Blue isn't my favorite for the seat but it was nearly $20 less and I'm half color blind anyway. The L2550 has a low profile seat support straddling a transmission hump; by the time I raise up the seat to clear the hump on a homemade bracket, it's going to be too tall for my short legs.

I'm waiting on rear axle seals and a full set of filters so I do have some time to study the problem. I want to start my new service schedule with all new fluids and filters.

I will be going to Tractor Supply this week to inspect and perhaps buy their 5 foot County Line brand drag box with ripper teeth, and pick up some hydraulic hoses. I'll check out their seats, thanks for the suggestion, D2cat.

The L2550 came with a County Line rear blade, which I have found useful for pulling shoulder material onto the road bed, but for smoothing work or trying to move fill it just isn't the same as a Gannon/drag box.

BruceM

Equipment
L2550D
Sep 19, 2018
Concho, AZ
I did see it in Tractor supply. Not a great match for the L2550; the mounting base is 8 inches wide, almost 12 inches long. There's no space like like that to mount it to, as the transmission hump is in the way. With a custom bracket to clear the hump, it is going to end up with seat about 6 inches above the stock seat.

I got some 3/8 to 1/2 shoulder bronze bushings and am going to try and rebuild the original seat suspension.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
"I got some 3/8 to 1/2 shoulder bronze bushings and am going to try and rebuild the original seat suspension."

Bruce, that is exactly what I would do. Well, maybe use steel "cause I can work with it easier!

I rebuilt the entire frame on a 730 Case and I used steel bushings from a farm and implement store that were in stock. I just cut, weld, and modify as needed. They came out as nice as new. Just took time.

If I remember correctly, on the L2050 I used a 1/4" steel plate and mounted that seat you looked at on it. It mounted up fine, just too high.

TX Ags

Equipment
L2600
Nov 9, 2018
Texas
I have the exact same problem with my seat. Did you end up repairing yours or replacing the seat? Id sure like to know the best solution. Thanks