L175 Hard Start

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Kinda cool here yesterday, went to start the L175, hit the glow plugs for about 30 seconds (not unusual when it's chilly out) tried to start it. Only fired off on 1 cylinder. Tried heating again, but with the same results.
Pulled out the compression release, same results. Tried again, and it finally stayed running on one cylinder for about 15 seconds, then finally fired on both, and ran just fine.
Checked the voltage on both glow plugs, voltage showed 9.6v. Resistor is about 4 years old. Can't find any info on what voltage should be at the plugs, but wondering if it should be closer to 12v. When I turn the the heat on my voltage on my volt meter drops to 11.6v.
Wonder if the resistor is going bad, checked all connections and they are good.
Then I wondered if maybe one injector is bad. They are about 5 years old, and best I remember they are OEM. Can't find any info on what they are, or where I bought them. All I remember is I bought one set of flea bay and they wouldn't work, so I bought the present ones.
To sum it up, where do I start on fixing the problem, and what are some part numbers for reliable injectors and resistor if I need to replace them.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Your injectors should be fine. Five years is nothing for OEM injectors. Maybe a bit more voltage would help (I'm not sure what you WSM says), but I would remove the wires to the GP's and use your ohm meter to make sure they are good. Then clean the connectors when you put the wires back on.

Be sure you have clean fuel and air filters. Once the second cyl is firing, put the tractor to some work and it may clear itself up.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Howdy. From the symptoms it sounds like one of the glow plugs is not working properly. I would check that each glow plug is heating properly, or measure each plug's resistance. (Voltage won't tell you.)

Now if you'll permit me a question. When you say resistor, are you talking about the Glow Plug Controller (indicator)? The L175 doesn't have a ballast resistor (coil in a box), right?

Stay warm chopping ice in the tanks.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
Yep, glow plug indicator. Manual calls it a resistor.
Don't know what an ohm reading should be.
After re-reading the manual it said a bad glow plug would act just like what's happening to me.
Just ordered 2.

Electricity is not my friend.

Last edited:

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
To test the glow plugs in place, you disconnect each glow plug from the wiring or copper flat buss bar. Get an OHM meter and check each one by putting one probe on the tip where the wire or buss bar fits and ground. Should read a couple of ohms if good. You can test them with a battery powered test light too or lastly, pull each one out and BRIEFLY ground the plug and put 12 volts on the pin where the wire goes. It will get orange hot if good.
I personally would have replaced ALL three and kept the old good one as a spare. Without two not working, the good one is getting more voltage and will probably fail soon too.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I personally would have replaced ALL three and kept the old good one as a spare. Without two not working, the good one is getting more voltage and will probably fail soon too.
The L175 is only a 2 cylinder, no need for him to buy 3 GP's. ;)

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
The L175 is only a 2 cylinder, no need for him to buy 3 GP's. ;)
My bad...:eek:: I was thinking it was a three cyl. I looked up the engine and found that it is a .7 ltr, 2 cyl. I was only aware of the .5 ltr, 2 cyl in the B5100D that was my first Kubota. Sure sorry I sold it

Last edited: