B2782 main bearing replacement

jasowiii

Equipment
Kubota L35
Jan 16, 2014
HomeTown USA
I am trying to replace the main bearing on my snowblower second stage and can't get it apart. I am assuming the inner race is just stuck on the shaft.

I am going to go at it with a cutting torch if needed but I am wondering if anyone knows if something is else is holding it on??

Jim

Attachments

Last edited:

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
Bearings are almost always pretty well fused to the shaft if they have been in use for a while. In your case, there is no way to get a puller on it, so removing it will destroy the bearing. I recommend using a torch. If you are careful, the shaft should not be harmed.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Bearings are almost always pretty well fused to the shaft if they have been in use for a while. In your case, there is no way to get a puller on it, so removing it will destroy the bearing. I recommend using a torch. If you are careful, the shaft should not be harmed.
I agree! this one calls for brut force, the torch would be my tool of choice. It is better that they fuse to the shaft than be loose and have worn a groove in the shaft.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Plasma torch is better than a gas torch for this kind of surgery, less heat transfer and loads of control!

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I ran into this problem a few years back on a B2650 snowblower. First I center drilled the end of the shaft sticking out so a puller would not slip off. Next unbolted the bearing on both sides of the auger shaft. Unbolted the brace that supports the gear box in the center of the auger shaft. This allows the impeller and shaft to move back a small amount. I was then able to get a bearing splitter between the bearing and the housing. I attached a puller to the bearing splitter and applied force to the end of the shaft. The bearing came right off without much effort. I had cleaned the shaft and applied PB blaster before I started.

Reactions: 1 user