X1120d oil pan leak

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet.

If in fact there's oil leaking from the oil pan, it seems like it'd have to be a hole in the pan from FOD. These don't typically leak....actually I've never heard of it unless the engine's been into before (rare). It could be as simple as the filter leaking and running down the block to the pan rail. Or it could be as simple as the copper gasket on the drain bolt.

OlFerguson

Equipment
4440, 1120D
Jun 1, 2017
Canada
Well I checked the oil pan and it’s dripping from one of the screws on there , more towards the front of the block. So I’m thinking that this thing really doesn’t like the cold. I have started it a few times and it’s been rough. I wouldn’t think oil pressure could make an oil pan leak. Normal usage is doing stuff around the farm, there’s only been a few times I’ve actually “played “ with my 1120 and if something did in fact Happend it should have leaked well before now . So I don’t know.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Oil pressure will have nothing to do with a pan leaking, and I'm with lugbolt on this, I've never seen a pan leak on a kubota.

If you can get a mirror up in there and check the crank seal and or anything above where your finding the oil leaking.

It's more likely to be a seal than a gasket.

When I have mystery leaks like this I clean everything spotless, and use brake parts cleaner to get the residual oil off of it, then I let it sit for a day or more and look for leaks, then if nothing, I run it in place for a bit and look for leaks.

Get a good mirror on a stick to check above and in front of where you see the leak (as the fan or pulley might be blowing it back) and check that.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Much more likely to be the front seal! I have never seen one of those oilpans leak!

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
To go with what the others have said, what I do with leaks is clean them real good, add a dye to the oil and run it. You can then use a black light to trace the dye to the source of the leak.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
The "front" seal is right behind what you are calling the flywheel.
If you remove the front pulley (flywheel) be sure to mark it so you get it on again in the right place. It has timing marks on the front under the attachment bolt but they are hard to see in the machine. It will have a bad vibration if you get it on wrong ( It is splined to the crankshaft) The seal is removable from the outside after the pulley and the small sleeve inside the seal are removed. It can be quite contrary about coming out of there but it is doable!
There is no need to remove the front cover. This is actually a very common problem on that engine. You will find the seal very brittle and the rubber part partially detached from the metal part of the seal!

Last edited:

OlFerguson

Equipment
4440, 1120D
Jun 1, 2017
Canada
If you remove the front pulley (flywheel) be sure to mark it so you get it on again in the right place. It has timing marks on the front under the attachment bolt but they are hard to see in the machine. It will have a bad vibration if you get it on wrong ( It is splined to the crankshaft) The seal is removable from the outside after the pulley and the small sleeve inside the seal are removed. It can be quite contrary about coming out of there but it is doable!
There is no need to remove the front cover. This is actually a very common problem on that engine. You will find the seal very brittle and the rubber part partially detached from the metal part of the seal!

Thanks for the advice . I finally have a copy of the wsm so hopefully I can tackle this job myself.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Thanks for the advice . I finally have a copy of the wsm so hopefully I can tackle this job myself.
Should be no problem doing it yourself. I use the engine starter to loosen the bolt on the end of the crankshaft. I put a wrench firmly onto it and firm against the machine frame then hit the starter. Be sure you consider which way the engine turns! That bolt can be quite hard to get loose otherwise because there isn't an easy way to hold the engine from turning and it is awkward getting an impact wrench up there! It doesn't take long to change the seal provided it doesn't fight too hard when you pry it out of there. Just be careful that whatever you use to pry with doesn't gouge the aluminum front cover.