RTV900 lack of Power

Jweber83

Equipment
L4400HST, L2900GST, RTV900W6-H
Sep 29, 2018
Madison, WI
Ok I am looking for a little guidance here. I know these can be a dog but I think there is something else going on. And I have read all of the countless articles and forum posts on the power issues with these. No luck with what I have tried so far.

I have a 2007 RTV900 W

It operates. Sounds good. But it just really lacks power. In high you have to be pointed downhill for it to go. In Medium its operates but any incline just really slows it to a crawl. Low it will go up a hill but still seems to lack a bit. Weirdly, In reverse it seems like it can jump right off the line.

Spark arrestor is clean. I did the whole trick with the little adjustment nut on the front of the engine as well. Fuel filter replaced. Maybe one symptom to go on...I have to give it a little throttle to start it from cold. So my next thoughts were to go down the injector road. But if there is something else easier to check off the list first, please raise your hand. :)

Any direction on diagnosing the issue is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Jweber83

Equipment
L4400HST, L2900GST, RTV900W6-H
Sep 29, 2018
Madison, WI
Ok. I’ll try again. Is there anything anyone can suggest? I really appreciate any guidance here.

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
Mine is a 2014, it has always been a slow machine, and seems to bog going uphill, or even slightly uphill in high. If I let off the pedal a bit then back on it does pick back up. Following another thread about this, I have installed the hand throttle kit, so now I can keep the throttle opened up and the hst pedal where I need. It really works well for these machines, I use it most of the time when going uphill or grades. My dealer had one in stock, it was $75, and took about an hour to install.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Based on what you're saying (reverse seems stronger than forward), I'm leaning toward the forward main pressure relief failing. Of course there "could" be other issues, but that is my best guess without knowing the data. Servo, cable adjustment, lever adjustments, brake adjustments, worn internal HST componentry, and a ton of other potentials.

--That said, there is no reliable way to do any sort of real diagnosis on them without a pressure gauge and the proper fittings. The alternative is to throw parts at it until it's fixed--and on these, that gets really expensive really fast.

I think they're supposed to make around 5800 PSI in forward and I think 3500 in reverse, but I don't have a WSM in front of me. Because of the pressures involved, you're certainly going to have to observe some safety practices while testing the pressures, as well as use the correct pressure gauge & hose/fittings. I bought a digital gauge that measures up to 10,000 psi and so far it seems to be working pretty good. They aren't cheap, neither is the hose and fittings required....but well less than a price of parts replacements should one decide to take that route.